Johnny Cash

Amy

• Moderators

Ok, so I've never been a huge fan, but I had an impulse purchase over the weekend and picked up American IV: The Man Comes Around (includes "Hurt")... I innocently popped it in the CD player on the way to work this morning, and found myself getting a little misty-eyed...after just 3 songs!

Has anyone else given this one a listen?? Some emotionally powerful stuff.

Yes, I have been wanting this CD for a long time. I even just as recently as two days ago told my wife I wanted it for my B-Day coming up.

I really like the NIN version of Hurt but I find Cash singing that song as so moving I almost can't hold back the tears myself! I don't even know what else is on the CD but since I have bene a Cah fan for years, I am certain I will like it.

D

I don't care for most country music, but I've always liked Johnny Cash...

I had bought the first two American Recordings albums; the third installment didn't seem to have any selections that I was interested in.

Then I saw the video for Hurt. Probably the most incredible and moving video I had ever seen (or ever will).

This album was in my changer for most of a year; "Hurt" and "I Hung My Head" being my two favorites.

IMO, there will never be another man of his stature, or another singer with such gravitas.

• Moderators

Well, I finished listening to the CD on my way home yesterday.....I just can't believe how it got to me! Hurt, Give My Love to Rose, and In My Life especially hit hard. His singing voice is still deep and somewhat shaky, but the emotion behind it really comes through strong.

I guess everyone can relate in some way to a man at the end of his life looking back on the bad times and good--that's probably why these last few albums appeal to so many different types of people.

I picked up "The legend of Johnny Cash" a short while ago. It's extremely well recorded, simplistic but very, very addictive (bad term). My 16 y/o is quite taken with many selections. This disc includes: Folsom prison blues

I walk the line

Ring of fire

I've been everywhere

Hurt

A boy named Sue

Jackson

Plus others which run from R&B to religious to country comedy.

post-16064-13819283548824_thumb.jpg