For Sale: pair of Altec 511b horns with adaptor for k55m/k55v

Kevmosmith

Greg, did you bid and/or win those Khorn bins in Iowa (ebay)a week or so back? just wondering.

Hello,

No but I tried.I was actually present when the bidding got crazy(last min).I think the final price was $417 about 17 over my limit.Got to draw a line somewhere,just as well I hit the road tomorrow to meet Colter in Il.to get a pair of his LSI bass bins.Pretty excited about it and have some serious plans for them and my Altecs.Imagine the new LaScala ll on steroids with a split top.Should be beefy looking after I get done,cant explain fully yet.Working on some interesting mods for vib control and other ideas.

Greg

Uh, you better be sharing some of those ideas with me tomorrow! I'm loaded up and ready to roll.

Michael

Ill be there!

Greg

There is supposedly a big difference between a damped and undamped 511B. I don't think an undamped metal horn sitting freely on top of cabinet would sound very good. This might explain BEC's response.

We see a lot of people moving from 'K' type horns to Altecs. Someone moving from an Altec to a K-400 appears to be an exceptionally rare thing -- I've never heard of anyone "upgrading" to a K-400.

There is supposedly a big difference between a damped and undamped 511B. I don't think an undamped metal horn sitting freely on top of cabinet would sound very good. This might explain BEC's response.

We see a lot of people moving from 'K' type horns to Altecs. Someone moving from an Altec to a K-400 appears to be an exceptionally rare thing -- I've never heard of anyone "upgrading" to a K-400.

Dean,

How would you damp a 511?

I have mine on top and isolated from the LaScala and its vibes,would that be damped.It sounds much better since,At very loud volumes the 511 is still,no vibes to be felt.

Greg

Greg,

"How would you damp a 511?"

Fill one of the 'lips' with Plumbers Putty. That helps damp it down quite a bit, esp. if it is also bolted to a baffle. If you do it on the bottom lip you won't really see it and it will hold fine.

Don't worry about putting damping on the throat/body of the horn. I tried that and it does almost nothing to help on the 511.

Shawn

Unless you went from a 1000 or 700 or 701 or 600 or 601 or 500.

• 5 years later...