For Sale: pair of Altec 511b horns with adaptor for k55m/k55v

Kevmosmith

These are original black and have their original badges. These have the bolt on adaptor for the k55m or k55v.

One has about a 2" crack on the underside bottom lip that does not show through (I think it was dropped/dinged by a prior owner) and the other is fine. Sound wise, they are great.

I bought them to modify the klipschorns, but couldn't bring myself to cutting on the khorns.

Asking $100 for the pair with the adaptors, plus shipping from 77063 (Houston)

Drop me a pm if interested.

Thanks

Kevin

"I bought them to modify the klipschorns, but couldn't bring myself to cutting on the khorns."

--------------

Just do it. You'll be glad you did.

But seriously, that is a great deal for someone willing to do some woodwork, especially considering the adaptors are included.

"I bought them to modify the klipschorns, but couldn't bring myself to cutting on the khorns."

--------------

Just do it. You'll be glad you did.

But seriously, that is a great deal for someone willing to do some woodwork, especially considering the adaptors are included.

I am with Dog. Just do it.[:D]

I have shot my mouth off about replacing K500,K600, & K700's with the 511b. If you are running the above PWK horns, then jump on this hot-deal. IMHO, the Altec's smoke them beyond belief.

Using the K400/K401? I have not had enough A/B time with the K401/511b to stick my neck out.

If I were conserned with looks and/or owned nice looking Khorns............Just don't know if I would hack them up. Others could respond.

One thing that I do know about the 511b. THEY COME ALIVE with an Altec 902 driver. At 700,600,500, or even 400hz, and hammered at 120db, they sound better to me. There is (by ear) no K55 "hole".

Graphs show this combo going up as far as 22,000. I tryed them two-way and felt that I still needed a tweeter. Others will disagree.

Regards,

Terry

I bought them to modify the klipschorns, but couldn't bring myself to cutting on the khorns.

Or you could just build a new top section for your KHorns and keep your old ones intact. These horns are a definte step up over the K400/401. I hate to see you loose em when an easy alternative may exist. But that being said $100 for 2 both horns w/adapters is a very good deal. Like CP1 said that is what I paid for 2 horns w/o adapaters

All this being said, gentlemen, what in your opinion is the change in sound quality when moving from K400/401 to the 511 horn, assuming the driver is still the K55?

I have a pair of the 511's but don't know what to expect. I suppose I'll hook them up someday. I too, hate to butcher up a pair of LS to mount them, but could easily see stacking them on top of my Cornwalls like I know some of you have done.

But again, what improvement did you hear?

Thanks,

Michael

Altec 511's will fit in the stock K Horn top section without cutting the K Horn.

Its the truth no matter what you think. I examined this already.

There is only one catch, Its time to think out of the box. The top section of a K Horn has 9.75" of internal clearance. The Altec 511 horn is only a little over 9". The mounting flange is the impediment. Cut the mounting flanges just below the mounting holes (get it nice and straigth) and drill new mounting holes in the remaining metal. There is still a lot left.

The mounting board on the K Horn can be taken out and a piece of wood cut with a scroll saw put in its place. I would also use 1" x 1" wood behind this to attach to. You will have to add some bracing to the K Horn, but nothing too difficult. The Altec is so short that there is plenty of room left to put it where you want and plenty of room left for a big tweeter like a 2404. No major woodworking skills are necessary as everything will be hidden.

The front grill can be made out of two pieces of 3-7/8 x 9-3/4" wood for side plates (cut this into a 3/8" "frame") with a face plate attached that is made of fiberboardwith a big hole cut out (basically a 3/8" frame).

This realy is not that hard. The most difficult part is cutting the Horn. Aluminum requires a special blade as it tends to block up blades in a hurry. If you are worried about cutting a pair of ALtec 511's, they are only $100 a pair. They will also have much better resale value because there are plenty of people here who will buy them if they are "drop ins" for K horns.

What I have described is fully reversable so you don't have to worry about mangling your K Horns. I came up with this because I have a pair of K Horns that from what I am told, there were 6 or less pairs made. I really didn't want to cut them. I wound up getting a deal on some Speakerlabs and went that route but was ready to do the above to save my K Horns.

Chris

All this being said, gentlemen, what in your opinion is the change in sound quality when moving from K400/401 to the 511 horn, assuming the driver is still the K55?

I have a pair of the 511's but don't know what to expect. I suppose I'll hook them up someday. I too, hate to butcher up a pair of LS to mount them, but could easily see stacking them on top of my Cornwalls like I know some of you have done.

Thanks,

Michael

First they seem a tad hotter, I turned down my Squawker tap one setting on my ALK universals. Next the detail and clarity are markedly better. I saw as much improvement as when I first replaced my AL series networks with Al's Universals. Much better dispersion...bigger sweet spot, I get better imaging with the 511B's, my HT surround pans seem even more seamless.

"First they seem a tad hotter, I turned down my Squawker tap one

setting on my ALK universals. Next the detail and clarity are markedly

better. I saw as much improvement as when I first replaced my AL

series networks with Al's Universals. Much better dispersion...bigger

sweet spot, I get better imaging with the 511B's, my HT surround pans

seem even more seamless."

Ditto... and add open and smooth to the above.

Shawn

FYI, here is a link to the thread I started back in June when I upgraded to the 511b.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/1/560054/ShowPost.aspx#560054

Below were my initial thoughts on the sound difference. Eight months later and I still feel the same. I am very glad I made the change.

"As for the sound, even my son immediately noticed a difference. When we had just one speaker completed, we did some A/B comparisons. He said, Dad it sounds really good even with just one speaker.

The K-401 has a definite hot spot, whereas the 511b sounds consistent over a much wider angle, and even well off-axis, the 511b clarity is better than the K401 in the sweet spot. I really noticed this most in the voices. Detail seems to be more resolved as if the 511b is not competing with the tweeter (perhaps the vertical orientation of the K-77 has something to do with this also?)."

none Bob

I have met with Bob and Michael Crites, consider them as friends and have much respect for their work and impressions as to sound.

Having said that, (as my limeted A/B experiene with 511b/K401, I would give him the benefit.

The 511b compared to K500, K600, K700? NO Way! 511b is a much better horn lins. Bob, Please. Open your mind, and ears.

Bolt a 902 driver to the 511b horn, crossed as low as 400hz and................

Perhaps this is all about the K-55 and not about horns..........?

With all due respect sir, show me yours, and I will show you mine. (from 500 to 800HZ)

best regards,

Terry

Thanks,

Michael

Michael,

As you know I am running the 902's with my 511's,never heard the stock drivers on em.That said I told you on the phone don't mess around and just get the 902's.You wont be sorry,great combination IMHO.

As for impressions at first I thought they were a bit rolled off up top,but after living with them for 3 mo.I think the stock tweeter was a bit harsh and these are very smooooth.I would say much more refined,everything is still there just not as in your face,more layed back.

More impressions would be better clarity and detail,vocals and instruments are more natural,bigger sweet spot and better dispersion in the room.

Remember I am running the Scala's 2 way with an active crossover.I currently have them on top of the Scala's so they are up higher than normal.I have the level on the Rane set 1 to 1 input to output according to the manual and have the bass levels adjusted for balance with them.

Try the K-55 first then get the damn 902 and step it up a level!!!!

Greg

Greg, did you bid and/or win those Khorn bins in Iowa (ebay)a week or so back? just wondering.

Hello,

No but I tried.I was actually present when the bidding got crazy(last min).I think the final price was $417 about 17 over my limit.Got to draw a line somewhere,just as well I hit the road tomorrow to meet Colter in Il.to get a pair of his LSI bass bins.Pretty excited about it and have some serious plans for them and my Altecs.Imagine the new LaScala ll on steroids with a split top.Should be beefy looking after I get done,cant explain fully yet.Working on some interesting mods for vib control and other ideas.

Greg

Greg, did you bid and/or win those Khorn bins in Iowa (ebay)a week or so back? just wondering.

Hello,

No but I tried.I was actually present when the bidding got crazy(last min).I think the final price was $417 about 17 over my limit.Got to draw a line somewhere,just as well I hit the road tomorrow to meet Colter in Il.to get a pair of his LSI bass bins.Pretty excited about it and have some serious plans for them and my Altecs.Imagine the new LaScala ll on steroids with a split top.Should be beefy looking after I get done,cant explain fully yet.Working on some interesting mods for vib control and other ideas.

Greg

Uh, you better be sharing some of those ideas with me tomorrow! I'm loaded up and ready to roll.

Michael