Conrwalls, Jazz on Vinyl, Tubes, and Cigars

Allan Songer

Really enjoyed it, Allan! As an FYI, I think the Cornwalls started in production in 1959 and ran till 1985...

I am new to the jazz scene but really like it. I have been listening to newer stuff (Al Dimeola, Paco De Lucia, Larry Carlton, all guitarists) but recently purchased Miles Davis's "Kind of Blue". I absolutely love it! After hearing John Coltrane on this CD, I now want to go out and get some of his stuff. My problem is that this CD is recorded so badly (lots of hiss, etc), I'm now wondering if most of the music from this era is recorded just as poorly. After playing this CD I popped in Rickie Lee Jones's "Pop Pop" (RLJ doing the lounge club thing - great CD btw) which is an AAD recording and it sounded head and shoulders above the Miles recording.

I was wondering if you would be so kind to list a few CD's that would be worth picking up. I like the sound of the Miles CD but would be willing to branch out and try something new also.

Thanks a lot,

Mike

------------------

Family Room

-----------

Hitachi 43UWX10B HDTV (16:9)

Denon AVR-4800

Acurus A200X3

Panasonic DVD-RP91K (Progressive Scan & DVD-Audio)

Dual CS-5000 Turntable w/Shure V15V-MR

DBX 3bx Series III Range Expander

Mains - Chorus II (Oiled Oak/Acurus Amp)

Center - KLF-C7 (Finished Black/Acurus Amp)

Surrounds - Chorus I's (Finished Black/Denon)

Surround Back - RS-3's (White/Denon)

SVS 20-39CS Sub w/Samson S700 Amp

Monster HTS-3500 Line Conditioner

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Digital Cable box

Monster M-500 Component Video cables

Monster Datalink 100 Digital Coaxial cables

Radio Shack Gold Series & AR for all other audio interconnects

Bedroom

-------

Mitsubishi 31" TV

Yamaha M-4 Amp

Yamaha C-4 Preamp

Yamaha T-7 Tuner

Teac DVD Player

Dual CS-721 Turntable w/B&O MMC2

Looking for a pair of Cherry or Mahogany Heresy's

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 10-24-2001 at 02:48 PM

Wow! I've never before heard anyone say that KOB is "poorly recorded." I'm so astonished I couldn't possibly comment. Ok, I'll try! Perhaps you're not used to live in the studio, direct to two-track recordings with no compression or other tricks. I'll agree that the CD of KOB I bought in the late 80's sounds like crap, but on vinyl this is a GLORIOUS sounding record! I've been told that the more recent KOB CD released are pretty good, but I haven't heard one.

If you like the way Trane sounds on KOB, I suggest you look for the Miles Davis "classic quintet" records-- Cookin', Relaxin', Steamin', etc. These are great.

Also, you should check out "Blue Train" on Blue Note and "My Favorite Things" on Atlantic--once you get into this, you can move on to the later Impulse! records.

Thanks for the reply! I might have been a bit harsh when I said the recording was poor. It is an outstanding recording except I have never heard that much hiss before. I play music pretty loud (90 - 105 db) and the hiss is very noticable at that volume. Other than that, it sounded great. The trumpet and sax work is incredible on this CD! Thanks for the info on the other LP's...

Mike

Mike,

You might really like David 'Fathead' Newman's release of Duke Ellington material called Mr. Gentle / Mr. Cool. It is a '94 release on Kokopelli Records. He played with Ray Charles' band in '54, so he has been around a long time. Just saw him live this summer and all I can say is wow! This is the only album I have of his, and if any of the rest are like it, you can't go wrong. He plays sax and flute.

Allan,

Nice looking site.

Cheers,

Marvel

Interesting list Allan; nice to know some others on here appreciate great jazz. I grew up with a father that played drums in the 30s and 40s and amassed a great collection of 78s and them all the greats from the 40s,50s,60s. He grew up right outside of New York City so was exposed to great stuff on 52nd Street. He was lucky enough to sit and converse with Billie Holiday, Ben Webster, Johnny Hodges, Max Roach, Gil Evans, Phil Woods, and many others. He had some great stories that are classics...

Enjoyed going over your list...might even add a few that you left off - all these in vinyl:

Bill Evans - The Village Vanguard Sessions: This is truly a landmark recording that the Sunday CD barely touches. A must have and just wonderful in vinyl. Can be found used but nowhere new.

Chet Baker - The Touch of your Lips: This is a great album and an amazing recording done by SteepleChase. Featuring the wonderful bass playing of Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen. The sound of this record on vinyl is so warm and rich, the bass notes making your mouth water. This is Chet at his best as well.

Chet Baker - This is Always: A must have number two in the Chet Baker category. Top notch recording and wonderful on vinyl. Same lineup as above

Sonny Rollins - The Sound of Sonny:I love Sonny Rollins. One of the all time greats and so much stuff out there. His work in the late 50s to mid 60s was just excellent. This is another on the list with PAul Chambers and Roy Haynes.

Sonny Rollins - Freedom Suite: Another must have and Freedom Suite takes all of one side and is just excellent sax work by Sonny. Still in print

Sonny Rollins - Moving Out: Sonny teamed up with Thelonious Monk which is always special.

RE-UNION with Dave Brubeck, Paul Desmond, and Dave Van Kriedt. It's nothing too special vinyl wise as it's a Fantasy OJC series. But damn if it didnt sound GREAT via the 2A3 monos and the Cornwalls!

Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners: Monk and Rollins again with some excellent compositions. This one is also still in vinyl on Riverside. Dont pass it up.

Art Pepper - More for Les at the Village Vanguard: This whole recording session with Elvin Jones on drums, George Cables on piano, and George Mraz on bass is perhaps Pepper's best set of recordings. The four albums from that date are all top notch with sonics and music to match. Very emotional performance for Pepper. The final solo of Pepper on Alto alone doing Over the Rainbow us literally spellbinding via the Cornwall. My wife and I just sat in a trance. The whole series runs from the nights ie Thurs, Fri, Sat. If you see it, BUY IT!!!!

John Coltrane - Soultrane: What else can you say about John Coltrane besides the fact the he was perhaps the best there ever was in many ways. Soultrane is one more classic with Red Garland and Paul Chambers. Almost all the Coltrane from the late 50s to mid-60s is just top notch. Countdown and Giant Steps are two instant classics with great jumps into the harmonics that he became known for. Coltrane's Sound is there as well. I could actually do a page list of Rollins, Miles Davis, and Coltrane that would all be must have.

Sarah Vaughan - Sarah Vaughan in HIFI: This is a beautiful recording of some of Vaughan's best early stuff - Sounds absolutely magical via the Cornwalls and a good CD player that is rich sounding such as the Rega Planet. All 22 numbers are vintage Sarah Vaughan and even better than most of her stuff recording wise

Gerry Mulligan & Ben Webster - Gerry Mulligan Meets Ben Webster: This Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs recording has just about the best rendition of Chelsea Bridge ever recorded. It is 7:18 of pure depth of all...amazing tone, with the deep barotone of Mulligan and breathy tenor of Webster. It is quite simply one of the best jazz cuts on record. The MFSL CD is very well recorded.

Eric Dolphy - In Europe: A great Dolphy record in which there are a series of three. IF you see this vinyl anywhere, pick it up.

Well, I am running out of steam but there are so many great recordings. The Cornwall is, without a doubt, made for jazz. I sat there early this eve and just spun disk after disk on my Linn -> Cary -> 2A3 Moondog -> Cornwall I combination and could not believe the soul and presence of this session. My wife came in out of the other room and sat down and we were transfixed.

I have some full comments on my impression of the Cornwalls so far but that is for another time. If you are just getting into jazz, you owe it to yourself to look up some of these fine recordings, especially if you are lucky enough to have the valve and Cornwall I combination with a excellent vinyl front end. I dont know of another speaker that has the soul of tubes and vinyl more than the cult fave Cornwall.

khf>s>

------------------

s y s t e m

Linn LP-12/Linn Basic Plus/Sumiko Blue Point

Rega Planet

Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Creek OBH-12 Passive

Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

DIYCable Wire - Various

ProAc Mini Towers

1977 Klipsch Cornwall 1

Alternate System:

EICO HF-81

ASUSA A-4 EL-34 UL

EICO HFT-90 Tube FM Tuner

Sumo Aurora Tuner

Nakamichi CR-7af>s>

Mobile,

Thanks for the info on the additional recordings. I have the Cornwalls little brothers (Chorus I's and II's) and am running SS equipment (Denon 4800/Acurus A200X3), but it still sounds very warm and full (to me). Thanks again for all the information. Now, does one know where to get some of this stuff at a decent price? Smile.gif

Mike

Allan and Mobile,

thanks ever so much for your lists. Jazz is a relatively new discovery for me so any suggestions of truely great recordings are welcome. At the moment I am very much into Dave Brubeck and really enjoy titles such as Time Out or The Brubeck Quartet at Carnegie Hall etc. Now I still have a pretty good Thorens turntable/Ortofon SPU Classic GM E combo which I am in the process of upgrading with an SME 3012 R arm, but actually spending more money on a vinyl disc than on a CD I am quite reluctant. For example Brubeck's Time Out can be got for something like US $ 7.00 while a new vinyl version of the album sells for something like $30.00!

So I was wondering if your recommended recordings are also available on CD and how do you evaluate the sound differences with regards to the prices asked for new vinyl discs. (When it comes to second-hand records I don't know current market prices, but without a rather good record cleaning device I wouldn't really venture into this field anyway.)

Any comments will be appreciated.

Wolfram