Plethora of JBL 2404H's on ebay

Coytee

If you're looking into the Trachorn upgrade or already done it while debating the JBL tweet... there's a hoard of them on ebay

(not affiliated in any way with sellers)

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&catref=C6&satitle=2404h&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&fsop=3%26fsoo%3D2&fgtp=&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=37922&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=

Thanks for the heads-up, Coytee.

I got one from Shawn and looking for another one. I contacted the seller and he replied

"I would ONLY ship UPS insured for the sale price!!! ", which was the deal-breaker for me.

I'll keep checking eBay, but meanwhile if there is anyone willing to sell a single 2404H please

let me know.

Kudret

"I got one from Shawn and looking for another one. I contacted the seller and he replied

"I would ONLY ship UPS insured for the sale price!!! ", which was the deal-breaker for me."

If you are interested... if you want to buy one of them have him ship it to me. Then I'll wait for it to arrive and then send both to you at the same time.

Shawn

Just my opinion Dana -- but right now I feel very strongly that it might be a bad idea to mix diaphragm materials in our top sections. I went down and picked up some APT-200's just to see what the fuss is all about around here and immediately found myself in agreement with everyone else who has loaded them up -- a dramatic improvement. I mean, I have no interest at all in putting the Beymas back in -- the "rightness" of the sound is that obvious. The integration between my phenolic loaded JBL 2470's and the Eminence driver is totally seemless.

Interesting. I too tend to prefer the phenolic "sound". Maybe its a nostalgia thing, I don't know. However, the midrange is where diaphragm material really counts, though, but again just my opinion.

But what I think you are alluding to is a "timing" thing between the midrange and the tweeter diaphragms being of the same material. They act "as one" more or less, their "timing" is closely matched by relative mass and its effect on accelleration (velocity) and their ability to interface with the air boundary and "grab air" is essentially the same.

I started out with the Eminence APT which I always assumed was better than the T35 and then eventually got a pair of JBL2404H's which were a very dramatic improvement over them IMO. The "metal-diaphragm sound" went away after a couple of weeks. I liked them alot, but now I'm off in La-La land with the BMS coax which is a phenolic also but it takes the cake in overall imaging ability. Tweeter-wise, probably not quite the same league as the JBL, but it has other attributes that make up for it.

My opinion is that a metal (in this case aluminum) diaphragm does metal-source sounds extremely well (cymbals, bells, tinkley metal things) and better than phenolic given the same source material. Phenolic on the other hand does the wood-source things "better" but tends to be less convincing on the metal source sounds. Wood instruments being "warmer", of course. That's just my observation...

But I still say the JBL2404 IS an improvement over the APT IMO. I've not heard a Beyma.

The JBL is the best (and unfortunately the most expensive) tweeter that I've ever owned, so far anyway. However, it is not what I listen to every night, so it seems that it's not quite good enough to dispose of the BMS! The JBL's just don't image as well (and therefore aren't as convincing) as the BMS, plain and simple.

DM

If you buy some used ones (which I am, but not those on ebay), and they have the back removed (as "mine" do), if you remove the back, CAN you tell if those are JBL diaphrams, and if you can, how do you tell which diaphram is in there?

I presume the preference is for original JBL, how hard/expensive can it be to swap them out?

Coytee,

I never had to take my tweeters apart, so I don't know what the diaphrams look like.

I would guess that new diaphrams would sell for around $100.00 each.

Not all of my Altec 290 drivers measured and sounded alike. I bought a couple of new diaphragms for them so I would know what I had and what it was susposed to sound like. That is how I learned what the diaphram was like and how to install them. It turned out that all six of my drivers had the same diaphrams, but a couple of them had seen better days.