Latest eBay Scam

Corvette6769

Here is a new twist. Notice the revision history. Looks like what he did was steel an active account with auctions already listed, and change everything about the listing so eBay would miss it as they did. Even made me look.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8766321346

The seller has revised the following item information:

Date

Time

Revised Information

Feb-20-06

06:22:21 PST

Description
Title
Site and Regions
PictureURL: Pictures Added/Deleted
Shipping Terms

Yep, that's a new twist. Still has a lot of the scam hallmarks, including posting in the wrong section and the "email me for a buy it now price."

Ebay is famous for dragging their heels on scams like this. Remember, ebay is little more than a big database system, and it is a straight forward job to search their database for these tell-tale signs of scam auctions, and post alerts to ebay security when enough triggers are hit. Why don't they do this? Because they will have to hire security people to monitor the hit list and take action. Why hire people when they can rely on users to alert them to the more obvious scams, and simply deal with the aftermath of the highjacked accounts that aren't caught? After all, to ebay, what's a few rubes losing their cash? It's not ebay cash. Now pass some legislation forcing ebay to cover loses due to scammers, and you might see some meaningful activity.

Remember the secret ebay corporate motto. THE FEE$ MU$T FLOW

There is ALOT of stolen ID fraud on Ebay lately. I wonder how these folks get hold of so many identities.

Another give away... ridiculously low shipping.

I think it likely that the only types who would fall for the scam are those who think they might be getting something for nothing from a non saavy seller.

"There is ALOT of stolen ID fraud on Ebay lately. I wonder how these folks get hold of so many identities"

They get hold of these identities because people give out their passwords in response to spoof emails made to look like it is from Ebay, sent out by the fraudsters.

I also see lots of this activity on high demand sports tickets (like Final Four) - scams abound in the ticket auctions, because it is easy to claim that you can ship from anywhere.

Also be aware of the guy who has been listing rf-7's and an rsw-15 for sale at ridicuosly low prices.

Somehow he has been swiping the accounts of valid users and listing these items(among others) for

sale at 750 to 800 BIN prices with shipping free. This has been going on since before thanksgiving.

I reported him to ebay but he just keeps stealing accounts and they don't seem to be able to stop him.

HIs auctions always have the bidders id set as private so you cant' contact them to warn them. If

it sounds to good to be true chances are it is.

Identity theft is the fastest growing crime in America today and sure goes a lot further than hi-jacked eBay accounts. Remember the real victims here are the ignorant eBay members that fall for the spoof emails, who have likely volunteered credit card, Social Security and bank account numbers and other data as well.

I do not know how many times I have seen an eBay member who had a long impressive positive feedback record in the 1000's that all of the sudden was "no longer a registered user" with no negative feedback posted. One can only assume that members account was taken over and canceled to stop fraud.

A recent General Accounting Office report shows that almost a million Americans fall victim to identity theft every year. Moreover, that statistic is likely rather low since some victims do not know they are being taken while others are too embarrassed to do anything about it. Common sense and the Identity Theft Shield service is the best way to safeguard against Identity Theft.

1. I love the e-bay spoof e-mails to my e-mail acc'ts that I don't even use for my e-bay or forums. Phishing is a big problem.

2. Another ID theft to be aware of is, actually phone calls from bank/credit card/utilities "customer service." We always tell them we don't who they are and WE will call the company back. We actually had one caller hangup on us.

I received this under the guise of a 2nd chance offer to an auction I didn't buy from.

Hello Dear Sir,
Here is how I want to go about delivery and payment for the product which
will be through TNT and will also give you the chance to inspect the
product before I receive the payment for it.
I will explain to you step by step how this will work.
A. First you have to send me your shipping information : your
Name:
Address:
City:
Zip Code:
Item#:
Ebay ID:
Amount:
1. After I receive your shipping info, I'll go to a TNT Location
and leave the product onto your name and with your address as the
intended receiver.
2. TNT will check the product , also the legal papers to see that
everything is OK with it.
B. You will receive a notification from TNT as a confirmation that the
product is in their custody and also, that the product has been tested.
1. After that, you will have to make a money transfer via Western
Union on my name, as a guarantee, and send the payment information to
TNT.
2. TNT will verify the Money Transfer, and if everything is in
order, they will deliver the product to your door step.
3. After you will receive the product and you will be completely
satisfied with it, you will instruct TNT to release the payment
information to me, so I can collect my money.
C. If by any reason, you will not be satisfied with the product , you
will return the product to TNT with no expense.
I will pay for shipping and you for the amount transfer.
Let me know if we can do this.
Please contact me as soon as possible.Thank you very much.
Best regards.