elevated khorns??????????????

funkyhambone

i am building a bar/gameroom. i am thinking about elevating khorns just below ceiling. it's funny because part of my reasoning was to prevent people from setting drinks on them (there is a current thread about glass tops now) and to generally protect them from bar patrons (ok my drunk-*** friends). i also thought it would maximize space. has anyone done this or have heard this setup before? i am curious about having the horns so high what my imaging will sound like. i am 6'7" so i would imagine my sound would be pretty good.

Trust me, as a former commercial sound guy, you don't want to try to hang a heavy speaker like this from a ceiling unless you know what you are doing. And glass tops don't help if someone tips over a drink and it runs down the side or front.

I would put in a dummy corner fill that matches the speaker footprint, and extend it right into the ceiling. You can finish the wall to match the wall treatment, or even veneer it to match the appearance of the Khorn. If you want to get the midrange and tweeter higher to shoot over the peoples heads, just detach the cab, unmount the drivers, and install them in the dummy wall. You can even keep the grille cloth and install that over the cutout for the upper frequency drivers.

If your room has the added complication of using it as a listening room with people seated at times and using it as a bar with a lot of people standing, you can purchase an extra set of mid and high horns from ebay. Keep the original set in their cab at the normal height, and install the spare set high in the dummy wall, using a switch to select between the high-mounted or low -mounted horns.

I used to have a pic from the net somewhere of a KHorn mounted upside down against the ceiling. That still put it in the corner. I can't find it on my HD (been trying to clean up).

You could make something for the top of your cabinets that would have a slope on them so you couldn't set anything there.

Bruce