Meagain "tubes with a remote"

Cornman

My local dealer showed me a Rogue integreated with remote today. Nice looking stuff, dont know much about product line except highly recomended by local dealer, hopefully some of the regulars here will be able to give us there thought's. Like your self I am going to the tubes, but would sure like to have a remote. The mdl. I am most interested in is the "Cronus". Made in America, about $1800.00.

Good luck,

Cornman

Cornman - Thanks for the heads up. I'm saving this for my 'list'.

I've been looking into the Creek remote add-ons. I started a thread here a week or 2 ago on it and received favorable comments (works well, no added noise, etc).

Tricky to find though. I have to research it more, but I'm thinking if it works as stated, might open up many doors to me for the pre & amp department.

I have heard their preamps, I believe it was the 66 and 99 models. Nice stuff. They always seem to be up for sale on Audiogon which bothers me a bit. I have to ask, if they are that good, why are so many people selling them? It's that same paranoid line of thinking that kept me from buying a VPI Scout TT:)

I fear stuff like that also. Mostly, I'm currently obsessed with resale value. Since I can't bring any of this stuff home - everything is a total crap shoot. I'd be buying without listening.

The only thing that makes sense to me at this point (given the above resale consideration), is McIntosh. If I study up, learn the good options for me, fully learn the price points on sales - I 'think' I could essentially buy safely. A golden parachute, if you will. Anyone see any flaw in my thinking?

As long as you buy used (I prefer AudiogoN) and keep the item in the same overall condition that it was in when you purchased it, you should not lose much (if any) when you decide to re-sell/upgrade.

I have actually made a few bucks on many items I have purchased used on AudiogoN when it came time to try something new.

Meagain, I have yet to lose money on reselling Mac tube gear. Took a few losses on Mac solid state only because something went south and needed repair. One thing to consider is how old this stuff is. My Mac 30's I believe are from 1961? Since I decided to keep them for life and wanted to make sure that they were performing at their best possible level, I had them completely rebuilt. Parts and labor $500. I then populated them with high dollar tubes, another $700. Good luck in the hunt, Pete

For the tubes with remote category, I'd want to mention that the Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp is a very nice option. It's a fat cat preamp with lots of goodies... including bass and treble contour controls.

I've been using one in my system off and on for two years. This is one sweet unit.

I fear stuff like that also. Mostly, I'm currently obsessed with resale value. Since I can't bring any of this stuff home - everything is a total crap shoot. I'd be buying without listening.

The only thing that makes sense to me at this point (given the above resale consideration), is McIntosh. If I study up, learn the good options for me, fully learn the price points on sales - I 'think' I could essentially buy safely. A golden parachute, if you will. Anyone see any flaw in my thinking?

McIntosh is one of the few that keeps appreciating - no doubt. But the real key is the sound......if you find some new tube gear that has the sound to please your ears - why would you sell it? Remember - try Holm...tube gear and a loaner policy. In the end - it should be just about the music.

Whew,,that's a relief. For a while there I thought I must have offended ever one when I started this thread about Rogue. Everone here has been so helpful to me in my quest for better understanding of the Klipsch audio world, to be rude or disrespectiable i would not want to be. So it apears there are not any Rogue users here who can give us an opinion, that in itself is some information.

God I cant belive how addicted I have become to this fourm, I read it at least twice a day , and learn somthing new everday.

Thanks to all,

Cornman