Getting Fortes to ear level! Tilt backwards or lift them up????

bdbaba

Jeff, you might try a base made of 2 x 6s with a plywood top and bottom; fill 'em up with sand and you will firmly couple the Corns to the floor. It will reinforce the bass and improve the sound quality overall (IMHO of course). I have an article around here with Cornwall tweaks, I'll see if I can find it and post it.

You must be one tall dude or you are sitting high. Sitting on my couch the tweeters are maybe just a tad below the ears, and not enough to worry about. If you insist, you might want to construct a sand filled riser.

Hey Oldtimer--

Thanks for the reply. Actually I am rather vertically challenged, but

thats another story... Sitting in our regular bamboo chairs, my ear

level is 42" from the floor. The tweeter is 32" from the floor. I was

thinking of raising them that 10" difference.

Hey Jeff,

Those are some nice speaks and nice stands! I am just going to put the speakers on some book boxes for the moment to test them out. Did you notice any difference in the bass response having the corns up that high?

I have my forte II's front surrounds about 10-12 inches off the floor on some 2x4 stands I made. I need to do this since one is to the side of a fire place hearth. It also places the sound higher closer to the same level as the screen. It also matches the height of my rear surrounds which are on a lover shelving unit. I don't think I lost much base but it hard to tell. I have them crossed at 100 hz now since that is the only setting my receiver has. My front center forte II is just 2 inches off floor since that is all higher it could go without running into the screen. They are all far enough away that I think the disperstion from the horns doesn't matter that much. Fronts 13 feet, center 11 feet and rears 12 feet.

I have my forte II's front surrounds about 10-12 inches off the floor on some 2x4 stands I made. I need to do this since one is to the side of a fire place hearth. It also places the sound higher closer to the same level as the screen. It also matches the height of my rear surrounds which are on a lover shelving unit. I don't think I lost much base but it hard to tell. I have them crossed at 100 hz now since that is the only setting my receiver has. My front center forte II is just 2 inches off floor since that is all higher it could go without running into the screen. They are all far enough away that I think the disperstion from the horns doesn't matter that much. Fronts 13 feet, center 11 feet and rears 12 feet.

Sounds like you have a huge room! Are you using a panny xr?? digital receiver? Except for the xr55, they all cross over at 100 Hz as well. However, if you set your fronts to large, then you get the whole signal and the LFE is still sent to your sub. That is how I set mine up--still waiting for my xr55 to arrive from amazonian.

I am still looking for a forte on island for my center. I just bought an academy until a forte shows up. Should arrive any day now. I bet your system rocks!

Have any pictures?

BD,

I have had three pair of Fortes. I too tried lifting them off the Floor but I found out how

much bass I lost...........

My vote is to try them on the Floor for awhile.........you will be amazed how they warm up

to you..........Post some Pics when you can.

Sounds like you have a huge room! Are you using a panny xr?? digital receiver? Except for the xr55, they all cross over at 100 Hz as well. However, if you set your fronts to large, then you get the whole signal and the LFE is still sent to your sub. That is how I set mine up--still waiting for my xr55 to arrive from amazonian.

It's not really that big. It is kind of T shaped with the rears at the bottom of the leg of the T. The front is then spread over the top of the T. So the front is wide like about 20 feet betweent the front mains and the rears are only like 12 feet apart. My receiver is an old sony da555es I believe. I could have the number wrong I just don't want to walk to the basement to look. When I set anything to large for speakers I lose my LFE channel I believe. I know a messed around with it awhile. It doesn't have much functionallity. I don't have any pictures just since I've never bothered and have changed it some. I have an academy with one of popbumpers K-stacks but I like the sound with all forte II's across the front better. I might just use the academy for my upstairs system.