How can I tell what kind of speakers I have??

Kigsby

OK...It may seem like a real stupid question, but I know NOTHING about speakers, stereos, etc. I'm cleaning house and trying to sell as much as I can on Ebay and was just looking to see what speakers were selling for. I have a pair of wood Klipsch speakers (really heavy!) that I wanted to try to sell. Some of them were getting quite a good price. It seems Klipsch make pretty good speakers!! I know nothing about woofers and tweeters - all I know is that it says

"128 W 400" on the back. What does that mean and how can I tell the model, whats a good price and/or any other info people may ask me??? Thanks! (Pictures attached)

This message has been edited by Kigsby on 10-24-2001 at 03:12 PM

Those are an older pair of Heresy speakers with a walnut finish. Since there are no tags on the back of them, it will be more difficult to tell the age of them.

As you can see on ebay, the Heresy speakers get anywheres from $400-$600....depending on age, condition, and what comes with them.

Good Luck!

------------------

Home Theater Page

Thank you all for your help!! I took a second look and on the back of the speakers is a label (picture attached) That says "Klipsch Heresey" Type "HWO" (?)

as well as the signatures of the person who inspected and tested it. It has a handwritten "23" at the top right and a "R" at the bottom - I don't know if that means anything....and the number engraved at the top

of the speaker says 128W400...but on the paper, the serial number says 128W399 ??? I measured that round section (woofer?) and it was 10 1/2" across. The two rectangle cut outs measure 8 3/4" and 4". I also weighed them.....46 lbs EACH!!! I still don't know how many watts or amps (?) they are...please help...again!!

cwm36.gif

Kigsby,

The "W" in the SN indicates it's a 1981 model. "HWO" stands for model Heresy (H) with a Walnut Oil (WO)finish. I also believe you have a matched set (SN's 399 and 400). For more information on the Heresy, click on "Products" from the Home page then select "Classic". Scroll down the Classic page until you come to Heresy and click that. On the left hand side of the page is "Speicifications". Go ahead and click that and it should tell you what you need to know...

Mike

Thank you!! I think you've all answered all my questions!!! I have one more (I promise it's the last one!!). Since they're a little scratched up...it wouldn't decrease the value any by sanding and restaining them, would it? I "ruined" an antique chair once by making it look better, so now I'm paranoid!!

Keri

Keri,

I don't know if I would do that. The Walnut Oil is a very sought after finish. I would try cleaning them up and then appliying a nice oil (Formby's Lemon Oil) and see how they look. Of course, I'm no wood expert. Hopefully, you will get better information on this than I.

BTW, have you ever listened to these? They are a very nice sounding speaker. If I were you, I would clean them up and then hook em' up and give them a listen. You might like what you hear... Smile.gif

Mike

I was going to use very mild sand paper and stain them the same color. I wasn't going to touch them, but one of them has a bit of a circle on the top (maybe from a planter that leaked?) And I have hooked them up to make sure they work and they do sound great I just don't have the room! I would rather have something more compact and give these to someone who will appreciate them. Again....thank you for all your help!! I'll let you know what happens!!

Would it be convincing if I told you the Heresy was a horrid speaker that's not worth having and you should just uhhhhh give them to me...? Heh heh. I'll ensure that they are properly, um, dealt with.. Yeah! Hey, stop laughing. cwm17.gif

I'd kill for a pair of walnut Heresys. Wink.gif Pretty speakers.