Classical music

This is a must have for all people who love Beethoven's piano sonatas:

Richter doing the OP. 57 (Appassionata)...one of my favorites, mostly because I an play it...the third movement is just astounding, the fastest and cleanest rendition of the third movement, ever.

Richter doing Pictures at an Exhibition is one to look for too. I have the recording somewhere around but I cant find it at the moment...typical!

And speaking of the Sonata in B-Minor from Liszt, Horowitz does an amazing recording of it back in the 30's and again in the 50's,
The one in the 30's is one of the fastest I have ever heard but with astounding precicion and musicality, coming in at 26:xx, as opposed to the common 30+ (minutes). I used to fall asleep to that piece at night, but now as I am getting older...its just too emotional for me!

Emmanuel Ax - good recommendation for the Chopin, it totally escaped me!

and if any of you are really really really into piano, listen for Glenn Gould (Canadian...haha) and his Bach, especially his peformances of the Well Tempered Klavier: The guy literally sings while playing, he was crazy....probably why he died so early. It isnt the most orthodox playing of Bach but it can be one of the most entertaining.

Speaking of Rachmaninoff's third piano Concerto: STAY AWAY FROM David Helfgott's performance of it, VERY POOR: Musically and Technically. I have a lot of problems with his playing,
he is nothing in comparison to what the the movie "Shine" protrayed him to be. He can play hard pieces but thats all he can do...either that, or the recordings of his music are always poor (doubtful). He makes many technical mistakes and interprets Rachmaninoff like he thinks he knows how! Dont feel sorry for him just because you have watched the movie...end of rant.

There are many better recordings but if its one thing you want to stay away from, stay away from that.

Sebastian

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...but for the Third Rachmaninoff you should really get Martha Argerich on Philips. If ever there was an exciting stereo performance of the concerto it is this one!

I'd actually recommend her Philips recording of the Tchaikovsky No.1 too......at last a recording that does justice to the drums and after it you'll understand her (pretty silly IMO) nickname of 'the tigress'.....stolen from Callas anyway.

Wolfram

• 7 months later...

Speaking of Rachmaninoff's third piano Concerto: STAY AWAY FROM David Helfgott's performance of it, VERY POOR: Musically and Technically. I have a lot of problems with his playing,

he is nothing in comparison to what the the movie "Shine" protrayed him to be. He can play hard pieces but thats all he can do...either that, or the recordings of his music are always poor (doubtful). He makes many technical mistakes and interprets Rachmaninoff like he thinks he knows how! Dont feel sorry for him just because you have watched the movie...end of rant.

There are many better recordings but if its one thing you want to stay away from, stay away from that.

Sebastian

Agreed. "Shine" about ruined that piece for me. It took me years to get the ridiculously over the top movie treatment of it thoroughly cleansed from my brain.

I've always had a tender spot for classical works that I first heard in the hands of Symphonic Rock band. Would be interested in some rather racous or adventurous versions of the following:

Pictures at an Exhibition- ELP

Siberiah Khatrau- Yes

Karellia Suite- Keith Emerson and the Nice

Young Persons Guide to the Orchestra- Genesis

I've always had a tender spot for classical works that I first heard in the hands of Symphonic Rock band. Would be interested in some rather racous or adventurous versions of the following:

Pictures at an Exhibition- ELP

Siberiah Khatrau- Yes

Karellia Suite- Keith Emerson and the Nice

Young Persons Guide to the Orchestra- Genesis

When I was a kid (I'm 40 now, so that should give some perspective), I used to think that ELP (and some of these other artists) WROTE that stuff[8-)] Of course I was corrected soon enough, but I'm still not cured of the idea of being just as happy listening to classical "ELP and Yes' way" as I would from a symphony[:)]

Given the increasing quality of my systems, I suppose it IS time to begin plugging in a few classical "holes" too. I used to listen to lots of recorded classical symphony in music courses and my time selling audio, but little of that habit stuck once I left those activities.

While it might not technically be considered classical, I need to get a good recording of Gershwin's "Rhapsody In Blue". This is probably my favorite amongst symphonic pieces - and no, United Airlines' robbing of the theme still hasn't ruined my love for this work.

I've always had a tender spot for classical works that I first heard in the hands of a 'Symphonic' Rock band. Would be interested in some rather racous or adventurous versions of the following:

Pictures at an Exhibition- ELP- Mussorgsky

Siberiah Khatrau- Yes- ok, I have no idea, it's probably even called something else_ I guess it's "Excerpts from Firebird Suite" that was used as the concert opener for so long. That is a Stravinsky piece

Karellia Suite- Keith Emerson and the Nice- Sibelius

Young Persons Guide to the Orchestra- Genesis- Prokofiev, isn't it?

I'll quote myself here to prove that I understand the actual composers of these pieces, but thanks for the reminder. [;)] How'd I do?

Michael

...but for the Third Rachmaninoff you should really get Martha Argerich on Philips. If ever there was an exciting stereo performance of the concerto it is this one!

I'd actually recommend her Philips recording of the Tchaikovsky No.1 too......at last a recording that does justice to the drums and after it you'll understand her (pretty silly IMO) nickname of 'the tigress'.....stolen from Callas anyway.

Wolfram

Wolfram - that is the performance I mentioned sometime earlier in this thread as the one that "dare not speak its name".

It is a pyrotechnic an interpretation of the piece as I have ever come across - but it does lose a little of the grace IMHO.

Certainly divides the audience (already divided with Rachmaninof) - some adore it - some will kill to avoid it.

I've always had a tender spot for classical works that I first heard in the hands of a 'Symphonic' Rock band. Would be interested in some rather racous or adventurous versions of the following:

Pictures at an Exhibition- ELP- Mussorgsky

Siberiah Khatrau- Yes- ok, I have no idea, it's probably even called something else_ I guess it's "Excerpts from Firebird Suite" that was used as the concert opener for so long. That is a Stravinsky piece

Karellia Suite- Keith Emerson and the Nice- Sibelius

Young Persons Guide to the Orchestra- Genesis- Prokofiev, isn't it?

I'll quote myself here to prove that I understand the actual composers of these pieces, but thanks for the reminder. [;)] How'd I do?

Michael

Not bad Michael - The Young Persons Guide to the Orchestra was actually by Benjamin Britten.

I would guess you are confusing it with Peter and the Wolf which Prokofiev did write. They are often bundled together on a single CD recording.

Well... interesting that this thread was revived on the day we went to see the concert at Strathmore. [:D]

I spent most of yesterday at Larry Clare's and got to hear his system for the first time. Can you say unbelievable?! I mean his CD transport cost more than my entire rig!

Anyway, we got to hear quite a few pieces while we were there. He picked out a few and I picked out a few. I picked Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade (Fritz Reiner and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra), which is a favorite of mine, and Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto # 3 in D minor with Vladimir Ashkenazy, which was the firt time I had ever heard that concerto. Suffice it to say I will have to pick it up.

Larry picked some Mahler (can't remember which one) and Strauss's Alpine Symphony, which may be the best classical symphony I have ever heard (not that I have heard many). It was very moving and very dynamic. That one will definitely be on my short list.

The more I hear classical music the more appreciation I have for the genre. I think I always have been partial to it because it was generally playing in my house when I was growing up. There were a lot of times I would hear something I liked but I never asked my Dad what it was. I won't make that mistake again. [:D]

Mike

Like Parrot said in another thread, there's 300 years of amazing music just waiting to be rediscovered. Some of the music I've heard lately is just so incredibly beautiful e.g. Saint Saen's 'The Swan' - it just make me wonder how anyone can possibly compose such a beautiful melody...

Larry picked Strauss's Alpine Symphony, which may be the best classical symphony I have ever heard (not that I have heard many). It was very moving and very dynamic. That one will definitely be on my short list.

That recording of the Alpine seems to be available, or hopefully one that is similar, on CD at http://www.amazon.com/Richard-Strauss-Concert-Georg-Solti/dp/B00000422Q/sr=8-1/qid=1161043054/ref=sr_1_1/104-6887489-9468769?ie=UTF8&s=music. I don't recall picking any Mahler.

The "Peabody Symphony" is doing the Alpine at Strathmore on Sat. January 13 (BRRRRRRRRRRRR!!) in case anyone is interested.

Larry

I don't recall picking any Mahler.

Well... your memory is not as good as mine. [:D] That was the first thing you put on....
OK, we were both right -- I didn't "pick" it, but had a Mahler symphony on ongoing repeat on the CD transport to help break in some new mods. It was already running when we fired up the rest of the system. We started our selections after that. [:D]

Larry picked Strauss's Alpine Symphony, which may be the best classical symphony I have ever heard (not that I have heard many). It was very moving and very dynamic. That one will definitely be on my short list.

That very recording of the Alpine Symphony DOES appear to be on the CD I mentioned: http://www.amazon.com/Richard-Strauss-Concert-Georg-Solti/dp/B00000422Q/sr=8-1/qid=1161043054/ref=sr_1_1/104-6887489-9468769?ie=UTF8&s=music.

The Rach No. 3 you heard is also available on CD, at http://www.amazon.com/Piano-Ctos-Rhapsody-Rachmaninoff/dp/B000076GYF/sr=1-3/qid=1161177969/ref=sr_1_3/104-6887489-9468769?ie=UTF8&s=music. For little more than the cost of a CD, this album has all the Rach concertos plus the Paganini variations, etc.

For the record, I believe in trying for the exact performance when I hear one that I like. I'm too likely to be disappointed if I try to pick one that's supposed to be better. That's why I came back to report on CDs with exactly the same performers, in the belief that the match means the same recordings. I thought the Ashkenazy-Previn performance of the Rach 3 was absolutely outstanding, as you did, I think.

No guarantees those CDs will be near as good as the LPs, of course. In case you are shopping local vinyl emporia, the LPs were London ffrr CS 7189 (Strauss/Solti), and London Super Analog Disc KIJC 9204 (Rach).

I've asked someone what the "Peabody Symphony " is and how good its January performance of the Alpine Symphony would be at Strathmore. Any early interest in a mid-January concert there? Dwilawyer? I'd work with even a small attendance, since I wouldn't see it as a "fest." This concert will be led by the new permanent conductor of the Baltimore symphony, and there are a LOT of very fine musicians in Baltimore (Peabody Conservatory), so it could be a real sleeper!

Larry