Denon owners....... I need some help

myram

When I switch inputs or turn off the 4800.....it is making my subwoofer pop. It will only do it the first time you switch inputs.....after that it doesn't seem to do it until you turn off the unit.

Does anyone's 4800 do this, or is mine due for a service call? Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this? What some possible cures could be?

I was thinking about installing a Monster Power SW200 that protects the subs power supply, and the rca inputs.....it would put filters on them and maybe stop this from happening.

------------------

Home Theater Page

Myram, I have a 4800 and it doesn't do it, so yours must be a defect. Sorry to hear it. Otherwise, it's a great unit.

Good luck Smile.gif

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

i haven't had a denon but it seems to be a common problem w/ a lot of receivers as I had to swap my marantz sr8000 for a new unit & have my kenwood repaired.

most receivers have a mute function to the speaker & preamp outputs when powering on or changing modes or inputs. my b&k preamp doesn't have them because they can diminish audio quality so they say so I have to put up w/ it there.

but the mute capicitors or whatever components on those receivers can go bad & be serviced to make things good again.

Well now that I am depressed that I'll be without my receiver for a couple of weeks........damn!

I called up Tweeter today and asked them about it, and they said since I bought the 5 year extended warranty that I can just bring it in and they'll send it out to be serviced. I should have it back in about 2 weeks....so while it is going for service I am going to have the whole thing gone thru and restored to factory spec along with fixing the muting circuit.

They also told me that they can do some kind of loaner for me while it is gone......so I can't wait to see what I can get from them....maybe a 4802 to try out.

Thanks for the help.

------------------

Home Theater Page

Myram-

I have the exact same set-up; Denon 4800/5200 with PW2200 sub. That combo has worked perfectly for nearly 18 months, with no popping from the sub. If it is this muting circuit, that's a new one. I assume you checked out the cable to the sub?

BTW, how is that SVS?!?! I'd love to get one, but funds are tight right now. I'd really like one, ok two, of the CS-Ultras, but to justify that, I'd need a bigger TV. So...anyone want to donate to the TV/SVS fund?? Biggrin.gif

Well the subwoofer cable is brand new, it's a Monster M-351 cable.

The thread link above solved this problem for me, it seems to happen at random to all Denon receivers. Lucky for me I am still under factory warranty, and I have a 5 year service plan also.

The SVS is awesome. I was pushing it the other day with Phantom Menace and I couldn't get it to bottom out. I had the Denon at +10 on the volume and it was GREAT!!! I had more rattles in the house then I know what to do with....but the system sounded incredible. I am totally impressed with SVS......this is the best upgrade I have ever done.

------------------

Home Theater Page

Boa-

Hope the Lawrence haunts are still doing ok. Yeah, it was a tough loss, but such is life at a basketball school. You really should get a different girlfriend, one who likes KU. Biggrin.gif

Myram-

Glad the warranty came into service for you. Guess I have been lucky with mine, so I'll hope it continues. Don't tempt me with the SVS upgrade!! I bought Phantom Menace this week and will crank up my system this weekend with that and see. I know the PW2200 will do great, but I have to wonder what a big SVS would do. Well, I'll live vicariously through you for a bit, and maybe the bug will bite me hard enough.

Since i have all of you Denon ppl here...I'll ask a question about the DSP modes of the Denon.

I was playing around with a few of the DSP modes on a Music CD, switching between "Stereo" and "Direct". This particular CD i really noticed a huge difference, the Direct mode had much more expansive base then the Stereo mode. Does the Direct Mode override the "Small" settings for the speakers?

Thanks

DrPyro

------------------

Receiver: Denon AVR-3801

DVD: Denon DVD-1000

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RS-3's

Center: RC-3

SubW: KSW-12

Well I have decided to just "live with the thump" for now. I retuned the system, so the thump is at a minimum, and is very livable for the time being.

Since I have the 5 year service plan, I can bring it in for a yearly tune-up. So next August when I bring it in for it's first tune-up, I will also have them fix the circuit that is faulty.

Now for the Stereo vs. Direct question....... in Stereo mode you are using your front mains and your subwoofer. You can adjust the levels of each to be custom for that mode. In Direct mode....you are using just your front main speakers, it is a direct shot from source to speakers. There is a much better, and more complete explaination of this in the owners manual for your receiver.

------------------

Home Theater Page

Having the 3801 and 5800 and being a lazy bastard I cant even answer the question about the "DIRECT" mode.

I did also notice it sounds better in "DIRECT" then in stereo mode.

Did not hear(notice)any thump when I switch the recievers on.Most subs are in "sleep mode" anyway,it takes some time(even short)before they wake up.

One thing I did not find in the manuals is when I use external amps how can I switch the internal amps off?

Anybody with any ideas here?

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Never have had that problem with my Denon. It's sucks when you have to go without music and movies for a long period of time (finals week in particular). At least you can get it fixed under warranty.

Boa - We're going to take you in hoops too. cwm27.gif

------------------

Denon AVR-2800

KG-4 mains (too bad the rest of my speakers aren't this good)

Polk C-175 center (it's ok)

Infinity RS-10 Surrounds (suck)

Audiosource SW-15 subwoofer (excellent sub for it's price)

Pioneer DV333 DVD

Sony 5 disc CD player

All in a 12x12 apartment bedroom.

"What?! I can't hear you!"

Boa - I was there too. Me and my brother had seats down by the goal line by the rest of the ISU fans. Heh, there's no need to make our team sound good, they are horrendous. We were lucky we were even that close. I can't wait for the bb season. cwm35.gif

------------------

Denon AVR-2800

KG-4 mains (too bad the rest of my speakers aren't this good)

Polk C-175 center (it's ok)

Infinity RS-10 Surrounds (suck)

Audiosource SW-15 subwoofer (excellent sub for it's price)

Pioneer DV333 DVD

Sony 5 disc CD player

All in a 12x12 apartment bedroom.

"What?! I can't hear you!"

I just put some towels over my head and all was well.

LOL, I like how you put the Sony Dream Machine alarm clock in there. Sweet highs with a well defined low-end from the $.24 speaker cone. High end alarm clock, I also have one. cwm19.gif.

Dang, your page reminds me of how much I can't wait to get out of school. I need a job to support my A/V addiction.