Possible hidden treasure or junk?

m00n

Seen this add

============================================

console stero 60's style - $25

This stereo is a nice piece of furniture. It has an AM/FM radio that works good. It also has a record player and 8 track player. We couldn't get the 8 track to work though it might be just a wire

============================================

What do you think? Most likely tubes?

Just sent an email asking for more info... Verifying that it's stereo, that it works and what the brand is on this unit.

The 8 track does lean the percentages as "not worth it", but it's not a guarantee, either. I saw a Fisher/JBL/Barzilay kit with 8 track and receiver with JBL D123/075's....nice setup.

And yes, those old tube consoles can be a good way for budding tube-o-philes to cut their teeth on repair/rebuilds....some on Audiokarma do exactly that, because they can get the rigs on the cheap - and if one messes up the equipment, there's not much invested. The Magnavox 6BQ5 amps actually sound OK - kinda fun to listen to. Safety first, of course.....

m00n, did you check this one?

portland craigslist > electronics > Old Telefunken Console Stereo HiFi

last modified: Sun, 26 Feb 12:19 PST

Avoid scams & fraud by dealing locally:

· non-local deals involving shipping, wire transfer, or cashier checks are usually fraudulent

· there are no such things as "craigslist payment system", "craigslist buyer protection", or "craigslist seller certification"

· please report scam attempts to abuse@craigslist.org

please flag with care :

[miscategorized]

[prohibited]

[spam]

[discussion]

[best of]

email this posting to a friend

Old Telefunken Console Stereo HiFi - $75

Reply to: sale-137209977@craigslist.org

Date: 2006-02-26, 12:19PM PST

Old Telefunken Hymnus Stereo HiFi. Everything turns on, but not working properly. Would be a good project.

call 503 244 9672.

John

this is in or around SW Portland

no -- it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

xJVIT1pm6zwAtetWjCDK6nrNa9u9.jpg

m00n, here is a little more info that MIGHT be relevant. Quite the tube complement:

b_t.gif

b_t.gif

Hymnus 2114

hell

info.gif

Germany

Year:

1960 1962

Manufacturer/Brand:

Telefunken Deutschland (TFK)

Type:

Radio or Tuner

Model ID = 23637

b_t.gif

bb.gif

previous

|

Result List |

next

|

New search for Radios etc.

bb.gif

From database www.radiomuseum.org: - Hymnus 2114 hell

b_t.gif

Principle

Super-Heterodyne (Super in general)

Tuned circuits

8 AM circuit(s); 12 FM-circuit(s)

Wave bands

Broadcast, Long Wave, Short Wave plus FM.

Specialities

Record Player (perh.Changer)

Power type and voltage

Alternating Current supply (AC) / 110-240 Volt

Loudspeaker

4 Loudspeakers

Material

Wooden case

Shape

Console with any shape - in general (details not known).

Dimensions (WHD)

1270 x 870 x 440 mm / 50 x 34.3 x 17.3 inch

Valves / Tubes

11:

ECC85

ECH81

EF89

EF89

EM84

EABC80

ECC83

ECL86

ECL86

ECL86

ECL86

Notes

Nussbaum, hell / 1 Diode OA180,

Net weight

66 kg / 2328 oz

Price in first year of sale

1201 DM

Source of data

Erb

Catalogue reference

HdB d.Rdf-& Ferns-GrH 1960/61

d_telefunken_1960_hymnus2114.jpg (ID=13644)

b_t.gif

It was from craigslist but that is not the same one.

Here was their reply to my email

=================================================

The name is <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Sylvania. Yes it all works but the 8 track, and it might be just a wire on that, i don't know. I believe it is stereo, not mono. I don't see anything on it that says mono and the radio says fm stero. it has very good sound.

=================================================

I once answered an ad in "The Recycler" here in LA for a console. I made the call and heard "McIntosh" and was out the door. Built into this "console" were an MR71 tuner (in my systen), a C22 preamp (in my system), an MI3 scope (in my system) and an MC2105 amp (SOLD!). There was also a Garrard record changer (gave away). There were no speakers in the cabinet as they were also selling a pair of big Bozaks which I also bought (sold CHEAP to friend).

Total price? $300 including the speakers!!!!

This was about 12-14 years ago.

Be patient too. The consoles come up a lot. Look for a while to get

familiar with what is out there, so you can avoid the "repeat" sales

when the newest owner knows it isn't worth fixing. Lots of free organs

on Craigslist too, some with lovely tube amps as well as alnico magnets

on the speaker drivers.

Did you ask the Sylvania people if it was tubes or not?

I'm pretty sure the Telefunken is, but don't know if it is desireable.

Chris

I think Sylvian is the name on the console. I had asked what the name of the unit was. No, I didn't as about tubes, I figured that might be asking a bit too much of them. But it never hurts to ask. I'll send another email out.

I once answered an ad in "The Recycler" here in LA for a console. I made the call and heard "McIntosh" and was out the door. Built into this "console" were an MR71 tuner (in my systen), a C22 preamp (in my system), an MI3 scope (in my system) and an MC2105 amp (SOLD!). There was also a Garrard record changer (gave away). There were no speakers in the cabinet as they were also selling a pair of big Bozaks which I also bought (sold CHEAP to friend).

Total price? $300 including the speakers!!!!

This was about 12-14 years ago.

Sounds like that was quit the score!

Might want to check out the local dump. My dad had a 1963 Grundig console with four seperate mono tube amps and a tube reciever. In 1985 I rewired and recaped the entire unit. Man, those amps sounded sweeeeet!

After my Dad passed away my brother acquired the Grundig because he liked the cabinet (it is gorgeous). In 1995 one of the tubes became noisy so he pulled everything out, hacked the internal cabinetry and put in a bunch of cheap crap. What did he do with the original tube gear? You guessed it! He put it in the garbage!!!!!

Needless to say, I made a trip to see the family and was admiring the old Grundig and was telling my brother that it was about time that I tuned everything up. He informed me that he just threw it all away the week before!

Has anyone else experienced having people you know do crazy things like this when they know you have special expertise in those areas?

Don't answer - my intent is not to hijack the thread, but it does BLOW THE MIND!

I've thought about getting a part time job sorting donations at Goodwill. But then, I'm also the guy that takes things home from the dump.

LOL... I know what you mean, sometimes there is some stuff there you just want to take home and fix up...

BTW, when you coming over?