Crown DC-Series Reviews

The bigger ones (I've owned several over the years) always seemed kind of "wirey" and dry, at least to me. Lots of power and punch, not a lot of detail, analytical instead of musical. But what can I say - I like tubes.

I had a DC-300A do the most through job of blowing a K-77 I've ever seen. That kind of power, especially beyond the limits of hearing, should be approached with caution.

The smaller Crowns - D-40, D-60, D-75 seem much more musical, and without the lethal amounts of power. The D-60 I owned had significant mechanical hum, though as did one of the D-75s I've worked with. Something to watch for if you're in the market.

I bought two of the DC 300A's and couldn't be happier. It's been on my mind to write up a quick review and tell all, but times been rather short last week and a half. If I could, I'd buy two more. I'll add a few comments later as time permits. BTW, any more out there? dwillie.

Am still indebted to Duke for suggesting the little D Series Crowns. Have been running the D-45 in the bedroom in place of a 2A3, and it really makes a pair of Heresy I's sing. No worries about waking up to a funny smell either (unless it was something I ate).

Craig ....

I don't know what you are expecting .......

that people are gonna post the DC series is a POS ... a sonic turd....???

tons of people, since the '70's, have enjoyed thier Horn speakers, be it Altec, EV, JBL, or Klipsch..

driven by DC amps

they are more than somewhat Analytical.....read that " cold "

but, can pound your A$$ into the ground

Good morning, Duke.

Looks like the buyers came out. I'd like to know what they were comparing to or replacing. I think one only mentioned 2A3.

Also, there's a Crown Power Line One near me for $100. I checked the specs. Sounds like phenomenally low distortion. What do you think about this one? I might pick it up just because its $100. Don't really need another amp, though. So, give me your feedback considering I really don't need another amp anyway.

Craig ....

tons of people, since the '70's, have enjoyed their Horn speakers, be it Altec, EV, JBL, or Klipsch..

driven by DC amps

In my experience when people are over joyed with a piece gear they come to the forum and share the experience loud and clear without being privately or publically asked to do so. I didn't expect them to say these amps were turds but the lack of excited responses to me means the amps are sterile, uninvolving like most inexpensive SS gear.

Craig

Craig ....

tons of people, since the '70's, have enjoyed their Horn speakers, be it Altec, EV, JBL, or Klipsch..

driven by DC amps

In my experience when people are over joyed with a piece gear they come to the forum and share the experience loud and clear without being privately or publically asked to do so. I didn't expect them to say these amps were turds but the lack of excited responses to me means the amps are sterile, uninvolving like most inexpensive SS gear.

Craig

Inexpensive SS gear? Come on now. The D75A is a $500 35 watt per channel pro amp. If the same amp were built for home audio you would have to include marketing and yearly "updates" to prove that it is still cutting edge, plus a few more LED's. You would have to at least double the price. Thats a lot for 35 watt amp.

I have been in the middle of a huge matter at work and am also in the process of packaging up my K Horns to ship them off, just no time.

Chris