What An Unmitigated Disaster

thebes

Larry, what was track 8 on the classical CD you read us the review on then played? I gotta chase down that CD/LP. I really liked it. Any suggestions for the must have version of it?

I had a couple of extra copies of the CDs there! I gave one to Marty but guess I didn't announce that I had others.

The whole CD is works by Camille Saint-Saens, and Track 8 is the Bacchanale from his opera Samson et Daliala. We also played Track 9, the Marche Militaire Francaise, which is always a winner. The CD also includes his Organ symphony, No. 3.

The CD is no longer available, why I felt free to burn one for folks. Mike Lindsay has one and really likes it.

It would take time to pkg. and ship it, and probably cost a few $ to ship, so could I give a copy to Gary to pass on to you? Gary? Lemme know.

Larry

OK, pics.... I didn't unlimber my camera until after Gary and Rich/RPlace had left, and we had a more meager crowd by that time.

Also, apologies for some camera shake blurring in some of these -- I'm still getting used to digital photography I guess, and had left the shutter on "slow synch," which doesn't close it immediately after the flash.

This one is of Marty demonstrating his downstairs equipment suite to CustomSteve01 --

post-12148-13819283866724_thumb.jpg

Here we see the fabled Al Klappenberger (left) and JBryan. The "other" Gary (Bookman on the forum) is just out of the picture, as is his lovely wife Carol.

Al brought his laptop, and showed us response and impedance graphs of various drivers driven through his network vs. Klipsch networks including the AK-4. Fascinating!

post-12148-13819283868118_thumb.jpg

This is some of Marty's upstairs equipment setup -- the Marantz 7T and famous $50 8B, a fine-sounding Marantz CDP with Tjoeb Ah! innards, lots of blue interconnect wire courtesy of 3dzapper, and Marty's two Bogen power amps on the floor with an efficient Conrad-Johnson preamp to their left. Again, apologies for the blurring, and I'm just about completely disgusted with the aliasing (jagged lines) from my early-vintage Nikon 5000. I think I'll finally have to get a better small-size camera rather than take my D-70 to these affairs.

post-12148-13819283869298_thumb.jpg

OK, pics.... I didn't unlimber my camera until after Gary and Rich/RPlace had left, and we had a more meager crowd by that time.

Also, apologies for some camera shake blurring in some of these -- I'm still getting used to digital photography I guess, and had left the shutter on "slow synch," which doesn't close it immediately after the flash.

This one is of Marty demonstrating his downstairs equipment suite to CustomSteve01 --

Looks to be a nice Sansui G series receiver up on the top shelf. I bought the G-8000 brand new in 1978 while stationed in Germany and still wish I had it. I loved that receiver! Sounded much better than the Yamaha separates I replaced it with in 1982 (M4/C4/T7).

Mike

EDIT: I deleted this pic of one of Gary's stunning Zebrawood Heresy's because the fine grain, my camera, and possibly the forum's uploading software aren't compatible and made it look much less nice! We'll find another way!

Many thanks for you very nice comments. I'm glad I can offer some smiles for my forum buddies from time-to-time.

Also apologies to Bookman, for somehow confusing his handle with Boomac.

Although Larry might not be pleased, I'm very much appreciate him for

putting forth the effort to get these pictures of the gear and the

guests up on the Forum. It was great having such nice people stop

by.

I hope some of the others will be chimming in with their thoughts on

the gear and tunes they heard. Unfortunately only Gary, Rich and

Larry got to hear the Bogen's, we had to switch them out so they could

compare them to the Marantz setup before Gary and Rich had to leave.

My impression of them is that while not quite up to the Marantz combination they are pretty impressive chunks of metal.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with what I'm talking about, I

recently took on my first restoration/rebuild project using two Bogen

MO100A Public Announcement monblocks. Yup, PA amps. The power suply has

been replaced, new coupling caps and various resistors changed out,

converted from 8417's to EL 34's and a bunch of other stuff. Complete

with very nice cherry bases built by my brother.

There is not a chance I could have done this myself without the

guidance and hours of assistance willingly provided by MikeBSE2A3.

Now that I've been genteel enough for a few paragraphs, I can really tell you what I think about these amps:

THEY WILL SEVERLY SPANK THOSE NANCYBOY VRD'S.

100 tube watts per side (actual wattage is probably about 70 per side),

chock full of Holmes and Watsons. Doubled up power supply, lots

of orange thingies. Also as we speak a crack team of top-flight

engineers is hard at work in a secret location in the Tennesse hills

busily working on additons to these babies involving cohabitation of

Henries and FarrahFawcetts.

When finalized these will complety b--tch slap those girly man Nosvalves whimpamps.

I know Craig is out there hunkered down in his bunker shaking in his

bootsies, but sooner or later he will emerge, there will be a showdown,

and the loser will be wearing a skirt!

THEBES-O-BOGEN'S RULE!!!!!!!!!!

Marty,

You need to buy more gear... the shelves look out of balance in a few key areas! [6]

Awesome pics! Wish we could see more!