Updated B Balancing Networks

For the past years my Cornwalls have getting mellower and mellower in the highs. I like mellow speakers but this was too much. So...

Out with the old. In with the new. As soon as I fired up a Cornwall with the new caps, the sparkle and dynamics were back and the overall tonal balance: excellent. I did one speaker at a time and did the A/B mono listening test. No comparison - the tweeters have much more output. They are not overly bright, just nice.

Thank you Bob Crites.

post-5893-13819283939272_thumb.jpg

Hmmm...not much enthusiasm for my new oil cans. I knew I should used Jensen PIO's!

I'm sure your sound is much improved. Since you are skilled and can make simple mods to that network, You ought to try a 2uF theta cap in exchange for the can for the tweeter. I have some cans for my squawker but found I like the theta with the K77.

I'm only suggesting that if you are wanting to mess around some more. What you have done already make the biggest improvement.

Don't feel left out with the lack of attention right now. The forum is currently sucked up into a tweeter frenzy.

jc

"You ought to try a 2uF theta cap in exchange for the can for the tweeter. I have some cans for my squawker but found I like the theta with the K77."

On a type B the tweeter signal goes through the 4uF mid cap before it goes through the 2uF cap to get to the tweeter.

JC,

Is a Theta the cat's meow when it comes to caps? I am so amazed as a nonaudiophile-but-knows-what-sounds-good-kind-of-guy by those new caps that I might be game for a little experimentation in the future.

Its funny, I measured the old caps with my meter and they tested basically infinte resistance for all, 2.05uF/2.06uF for the 2uF caps, and 3.99uF/4.00uF for the 4uF caps. The new caps were not as well matched or as close to their ideal value as the old ones, but were certainly within their +-6% specs.

Obviously, my cheap meter was not telling the whole story. I'm sure if I had an ESR meter or some way to measure the dissapation factor with rising frequency, the numbers would be drastically different - as in bad. Those caps were worn out. The tweeters had really faded. I just about flipped (in a good way) when I fired up the updated networks.

Andy

Andy,

ESR tells the story on the old caps and is the only thing that does tell the story. The old caps can rise to several ohms in ESR and still read close to perfect on capacitance.

Bob

Andy. I wouldn't say the thetas are the "cats meow" necessarilly. They are expensive. However, I think they do well for the K77 on a first order network.

Granted, I'm sure your cap change is the biggest difference. The cans are good too.

jc

Meagain,

Those are both of my Cornwall tops. The color and finish depicted is quite accurate. They used to look pretty tired. But you already know what I did to them. I'll try to post some more pictures tommorow.

Andy

Andy - from what little I can see, that's exactly what I want to achieve. Looking forward to seeing more pics tomorrow.