1 db more efficient than Khorn, no corner required, and scarce as hens teeth...

Mallette

The Frazier Model 11. Only 15 pairs made with one (See "50.00 Marantz 5, 20.00 Cornwalls..." from yesterday) pair now in the possession of my friend Ron. I have yet to hear them but will report when I do. I know what to expect and quiverith in anticipation. Having relied for 20 years on my little Frazier Super Monte Carlos, recommended to me by PWK himself because I couldn't afford anything in the Klipsch line back in 1970, I finally got Khorns. However, I've also collected 2 more sets of Monte Carlos, 2 sets of Mark IV's, a pair of Mark V's, and 3 pair of Super Midgets over the years and consider Frazier's modified Helmholtz resonator based designsd as inherently unimproveable as the folded horn. I have always been convinced that PWK designed the Heresy based on his admiration for Jack's "Mark" series. In fact, I prefer the Mark IV's to the Heresy as I've had them side be side in the past for extended periods (not by much, mind you).

Dave

post-9494-1381928395507_thumb.jpg

It seems unbelievable - quite literally. The cabinet is not actually that big - the frequency range (usable?) from 16 Hz to 25 KHz and the sensitivity of 107 dB/w/m. My initial response is - not possible. Even allowing for some "salesman's spin" in the document I bet it is an impressive thing to own. Will be VERY interested in the sonic tale I hope will follow.

Other than that - never heard of it! Seems odd - you would think someone would still be making them.

No hype, my friend. Jack was the ONLY other designer PWK had no criticism for. As to why they are not being built, that is a question that has bugged me for years. I still own my first pair of Monte Carlos purchased in 1969 for 212.00.

You mention that they don't look very big. 250 lbs. and FAR larger in person than one might think.

It is very tempting to build these cabinets. After all, that is where the magic is. Jack never used any really exotic drivers and even the 11's are simple two-way systesm (the piezo tweeters are independent).

Dave

P.S. - I have it from a reliable source that when they demo'd these at trade shows they drove them with a hand-held transistor radio...that was a bit reactionary in the times of the Phase Linear 700 being demo'd at the same shows lighting up 500 watt floodlight bulbs. Talk about swimming against the current (pun intended).

Good luck on your search for them.

I do agree with Max that the specs do seem incredible. In looking at them, I noticed that the efficiency is measured in a "typical" room (not anechoic). I am not questioning that decision, since it sometimes needs to be done. However, that can sometimes add 2-3 dB when compared to a more conventional measure. Also the phrase "usable" bandwidth is difficult to interpret, especially since they seem go so low in frequency. Again there may be an implied room/setup issue. I am not trying to knock them, but they do seem incredible.

Have you ever had a chance to listen to them?

Good luck,

-Tom

I would love to hear a pair of those.

The cab would have to be of some size to accomodate all the drivers...

a 15" woofer AND 12" woofer handling the LF.

four 4.5 inch midrange speakers

two piezo tweeters.

That's alot of hardware in one cab.

You mention that they don't look very big. 250 lbs. and FAR larger in person than one might think.

Cool. Could you post a life-size picture? I know the Forum will shrink it down but it will allow you to click on the picture to see full resolution.

I'm not sure big cabinets are really necessary any more. Haven't Bose's Acoustimass principles rendered physics obsolete? Damn, I wish Dragonfyr were here--I'd put the question to him.

No violation of PWK's physics here. JF's modified Helmholtz resonators are simply another way to comply. As I mentioned, PWK himself expressed great admiration for Jack to me personally and used a Super Midget in the lab with a handle on it to move in and out of a corner to demonstrate the effect. I believe to this day the Heresy was a direct result of Jack's Mark series.

As to life size pix, I'll do that in a week or so. I've still 5 or 6 days on duty here in Houston before I get time off and plan to spend some quality time with these rare beasties. I also intend to try to work in the wife and kids... [:o]

Dave

These are, IMHO, the finest speakers of their size ever designed if you take all things, including price, into account. I paid 212.00 (about a month's salary) for a pair in 1969 and considered them a bargain. Still have them, they still sound great (look like heck...seed burns, beer stains, etc. from college).

They are Super Monte Carlos. 96db/1w/1m. 50-15000 +/-3db. Used to serenade the whole dorm with my Grommes Little Jewel 8wX2 amp and Garrard Zero 100 TT or Akai 4000D RR tape.

This is a beautifully preserved pair I'd snap up in a heartbeat if I were not in the middle of moving and have a promise in to my wife to place my Frazier collecting on hold for the duration. They can be had (though rarely in this pristine condition) on Ebay from time to time at 35/100 per pair.

Dave