Thoughts for the Tube Beginner

SilverSport

So...for the tube beginner what are your thoughts and experiences???

Rebuilt MC30s, MC225s, MC275s?

New McIntosh MC275/MA2275?

Rebuilt Dynacos ala Craig NOSvalves or Piano Black Will Vincents?

Original (but rebuilt Dynaco/Dynakit 70s?

Bizzy Bee TAD60s?

How 'bout the PreAmp???

Juicy Music Peach/Blueberry/Merlin?

TAD150?

McGear?

Conrad Johnson???

Bill

I think a nice simple tube linestage w/ tube rectification and two pairs of tube monos would be a nice place to start.

Say... Merlin or that Mapletree 6SN7 thing. Mc-30s and either EL-84/6BQ5 or 6550 type stuff.

Rebuilt Dynaco MkIIIs ala Craig (or the 70 to save some $$$) and a Peach/Blueberry/Merlin depending on your vinyl situation. I used this combo for a couple years before getting the VRDs and it sounded amazing. The VRDs were a step up but not as huge as you might think. Craig really knows his MkIIIs!

If you don't want to spend that much, a nicely rebuilt Scott 299b or the like is always an option. Great sound for the money.

Personally, I'm not a Mac fan which is why I recommended the MkIIIs. If you have a chance to listen to both, that would help you to make a more informed decision based on your personal preference.

To me budget was the prime thought when I began lusting for some tube audio gear. Knowing what's out there I take issue with those who say you should jump into a Peach or Blueberry and some of Craig's VRDs. Not that they are not very nice audio equipment but at least for me, as a "Beginner," their price tag was WAY beyond my means. (and besides how would one ever know how nice a Peach and a pair of Craig's VRDs are unless they start with some gear that's a bit more "Budget?")

That being said I played with a pair of early 1960s Ampex 620 Mono-Blocks rated at 12 watts per channel that I bought for $250.00 and fixed up with new capacitors binding posts etc. They have been a ton of fun and they prepared me for my first Dynaco ST70 which I got for about $300.00 and went through it with new caps. and matched quad of JJ tubes etc.

Jeeze Louise if you are willing to look and educate yourself a bit you can find lots of cool old tube amps. from Allen organs etc.

Before you start with tube amplification I think you should get yourself as nice a pair of high DB/watt/meter speakers as you can afford. This will open up lots of reasonably inexpensive low wattage tube amplifiers for you to listen to and make judgements as to what you prefer in terms of sound.

Above all, have fun!

Regards,

Bill Woodward

Portland, OR.

Before you start with tube amplification I think you should get yourself as nice a pair of high DB/watt/meter speakers as you can afford. This will open up lots of reasonably inexpensive low wattage tube amplifiers for you to listen to and make judgements as to what you prefer in terms of sound.

'84/'05 AK-4 KCBR Klipschorns would be a good place to start!![:D]

I heard the copper-faced Cayin TA30 integrated EL34 tube amplifier (less than a grand) do a wonderful job with RF7s and Khorns at preacherman Daddydees May 2004 Klipsch gathering in Little Rock, Arkansas. ASL makes great integrated tube amplifiers for less than a grand. The AQ 1003 DT is far more power than my ultra-sensitive (104dB/w/m) big ole horns need, but it should be plenty for Reference models.

I would consider a number of low cost antique integrated tube amplifiers for a coupla hundred, all of which need hundred-dollar refurbishing jobs by people like frequent poster NOSvalves see his web site for various models). Look for models like Scott, Eico, Fisher and Dynaco. Once I heard an ugly gold-faced $40 Fisher tube receiver sound much better on big ole Klipsch Khorns than a monster Citation SS amp (at Atma-sphere Music in MN) some 30 years ago, I had to have it. I have been sold on HORNS & tubes ever since.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

[H]

Thanks for the help...I guess my Klipschorns ought to fit the bill of sensitive...well, it was the MC30s that went on sale here that re-started this for me...lost out on them, then I was offered ST-70s but I like the McIntosh sound so I was leaning that way...then offered a decent MC225 but I balked on that (I figured that it needed updating and my experience with that lately has been less than great)...Paul at BizzyBee is near me and his price seems nice, those piano black ST-70s caught my eye and they have been gone over and meagain's search for the "Holy Grail" has me wondering...Craig's Mk IIIs and the Juicy Music stuff...listened to a VTL amp...syrupy sweet...decisions , decisions...

Bill

Thanks for all the help...it is appreciated...if I could actually HEAR some of this stuff on my own speakers et al, it would help...I should as meagain to post this same question...then there would be pages and pages of responses, eh??? [:P][;)]

Seriously, I appreciate EVERYONE who has responded to me and I apologize to those I have ticked off due to my flip flopping on this issue...

Bill

I thought I'd add my 2 cents worth. You mentioned the TAD-60. I have had one of these for a couple of months now. These are a very modern sounding amp with lots of taunt bass and a silky-sweet treble. Mids are wonderful. Enough gain to use without a preamp. I like these far better than the vintage Heathkit, Scott, Fisher, Bell, Altec and harman-kardon amps I've had. I can't compare them with the other amps you mentioned (which, I'm sure, are fine amps), but I do know they are great amps in their own right.

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/bizzyb/TAD-60.html

Dave :)

Dave,

Thanks...you are the 2nd person to extoll the virtues of the TAD-60 and 3rd on Paul G's work...he is running a special right now on that amp with a set of speakers (not real interested in speakers other than Klipsch) but the amp would be an inexpensive (relatively) starting place and I could try it without a preamp at 1st...also has a 15 day (?) try out period with a 5% restocking fee if I don't like it...hmmmmmmmmm...choices are nice, eh??? I am anxiously waiting to hear what meagain thinks of those VRDs...Dean too if he gets them soon...

Bill

You can still go a long way on less money with an old console amp. The Magnavoxes are one hell of a lot of fun for under a hundred. With efficient loudspeakers, anything is possible. I still have one rig set up to run a pair of mono Newcombs at 12 watts each and they produce fantastic music reproduction. Here's a $65 cutie that can't be beat.

post-20083-13819284047094_thumb.jpg