Amp recommendations for Heresy II

tnt95

Vintage integrated tube amp in the 30+ WPC (Scott or Fisher) but would require being electrically restored if bought in original form or you may find one available from another forum member that is already rebuilt. Expect to invest $500 to $700. IMHO nothing else will even remotely do the job as well in your price range. Been there and done it extensively.

Craig

A love of Rock, a pair of Heresy IIs and a Dynaco St-70 with a Sony CDP with variable out is what got me into this hobby.

There is a synergy, in my opinion, between the St-70, Heresy 2s and rock. Note, that some say the Heresy 2s are bass shy. And they are, to a degree. Placement is important.

Get your twos matched with a good el34 tube pp amp, and then, if you feel you need more bass, research sub options. You won't be disappointed.

TommyK

The Heresy is a fine speaker. It is a very good value (interms of price to performance). However, it is bass shy. This can be partially helped by room placement (near the floor to help re-inforce some of the lower frequencies).

Expecting a superb bass from such a small cabinet will not be solved by pouring money into an amp. The speaker is simply not designed for that. The money would be better spent on a sub.

Since the cabinet is fairly efficient, a noisy amp (or other components) will be revealed. So I would not bother with spending money on big watt amps or on high current amps. Choose one that has a clean signal when playing just a few watts. IMHO, this can certainly achieved for well less than $1K. I would also suggest not limiting yourself to tube amps.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Amps that I have direct experience with & enjoyed with a Heresy include: Harman Kardon, Luxman, and Adcom. These were various models from the 70s & 80s and are quite affordable and available.

I have a Parasound HCA1500 amp/ Parasound PLD1100 preamp hooked up to a pair of Heresy's.

Great sound and you can get both for alot less than $1k used on audiogon.

Like Tom said you do not need alot of power. The HCA1500 is over kill, but I had it laying around. I have never turned the volume past 9 oclock with 6oclock being off.

You have some great speakers.

Danny

hey guy

i don't want to be negative here

i don't know if you already have a pair of heresy speakers

they are very good compared to other speakers in the same class

HOWEVER

i have had a pair of heresy speakers

and a pair of Belle Klipsch

the Belle klipsch (and La Scala) are 10 Times Better

sell the Heresy buy a pair of Belle, LaScala or K-Horns

life is better with BIG QUALITY Speakers