What is Craigslist.com coming to?

Parrot

Hey Parrot I thought you were boycotting the site???

I find that kinda funny. The way I look at it is if its all consensual, who cares who's renting what to who, and how they pay for it is their business.

The part that is disturbing is that the lawyers have gotten involved and think that you don't have the right to choose who you rent a room to. With that said I would love to have a BS button to flash.

Steve

The part that is disturbing is that the lawyers have gotten involved and think that you don't have the right to choose who you rent a room to.

Actually, legally you don't have that choice.

For people not wanting to accept this the solution is easy, don't rent rooms. Or at least, don't advertise them.

I just think you should have the right to choose who would be living in your house.

If you want to rent it to a Christian, nonsmoking female, Caucasian that should be your choice and you should be able to advertise it if you feel like it. I mean the person renting the room can say yes or no to the people applying so why not say up front what they are looking for.

I know your going to say that they cannot choose between applicants and it would have to be first come gets it, right.

Steve

The "law" sees no difference between selling or renting a house or apartment, or say, renting a room in my own house?

I can appreciate the law enforcing non-discrimination.... but if I'm renting a space in my personal residence, it is proper to have the privilege of being picky.

In regards to the Craig'slist ads, what kind of pathetic loser would have to demand sex in exchange for rent?

Thanks Dee and boomac , at least yall can see what I am talking about.

I also agree with you on the loser part but I didn't take it as a demand, but as an different form of monetary payment. I do think its pretty sad, but he is being honest and informing the potential renters on what he wants. At least he's telling them what to expect. I wouldn't thick that he would get many responses.

Steve

Don't see a whole lot of difference between these guys and a "dead

ringer" (old geezer that marries a young trophy wife). If the

geezer gets her to sign a prenup stating that she has to clean the

house in a g-string, and give it up twice a week, it's all cool.

If the same guy advertises for a live-in mistress, he runs afoul of the do-gooders.

Ever see that

show "The Bachelor"? There's plenty of gold diggers out there that

would drop trou in a hot second for a deal like this - or even less.

Your local "Gentleman's Club" is full of 'em.

Ya think Anna Nicole and her fossil used to sit around and discuss oil futures?

I just think you should have the right to choose who would be living in your house.

If you want to rent it to a Christian, nonsmoking female, Caucasian that should be your choice and you should be able to advertise it if you feel like it.

No problem with that.

If you want to rent it to a Christian, nonsmoking female, Caucasian that should be your choice...

No problem with that.

...and you should be able to advertise it if you feel like it.

No. If you advertise it, i.e, offering it publicly, you are in the same situation of say, the city bus service. So you can't discriminate. If you don't grasp that concept Rosa Parks will roll over in her grave.

In the Chicago craigslist often about half of the posts in the "pets" section are from nutjobs that are constantly criticizing or denigrating people for offering to give up their dog or cat for adoption. Often it's because of allergies or the new apartment doesn't allow pets. These people are horrible. They conduct running arguments with each other using new posts. There's a lot of sickos on the internet with nothing to do.

If you want to rent it to a Christian, nonsmoking female, Caucasian that should be your choice and you should be able to advertise it if you feel like it.

You do have a right to decide who is living in your house unless you want to rent it to them.

I'm sorry I'm not going to live long enough to see WASPs' become a minority group in this country and start to get some direct experience in why these laws exist. Anyone who needs to have the basis for anti-discrimination laws explained to them needs to be on the receiving end. No doubt they'll squawk louder and longer than anyone else.