Woa ... direction of interconnects DOES matter! [...? or does it?!]

m8o

Good thoughts indeed. Just to show I'm not opposed to there being another explaination from the 'magic wire direction' theory... Youse Gies got me thinking about the connections.

The 1st connection between the pre/pro and amp was via the pre/pro's pre-out RCA connector. A connector that had for many many [many] years been jumped to the pre/pro's amp-in connection via a jumper connecting the inside + connections. Nothing had touched those outer ground connections for those many many [many] years. Seems likely they could be oxidized now that you mention it [needed to hit me over the head with it I guess].

The 1st connection between pre/pro and amp was a bit over a week ago; that being the very first connection to those RCA connectors for as long as I owneded the 939. When I reversed the leads just recently, the disconnect of the leads very well may have 'brushed' the pre/pro's outer RCA connector just enough to have yielded a better connection on the subsequent hook-up ; in-turn yielding the noticable improvement in sonics (that increase in sonics is one I won't acquiece on).

...I have to admit, it's quite possible. I have to flip the cables some more individually and en-mass to put this idea of the direction of signal flow in a wire to the test. If I do still notice sonic difference due to interconnect direction, it would be great if I could figure out how to use my ATB-3 to quantify that. But I'm not sure how given the complexity of dynamic music program material and how that affects psychoacoustics. If no sonic effect is further seen with subsequent flips of the wire, it was the connection's integrity that I 1st noticed and I'll immediately change the Subject Title of this post, suffixing with a '[NOT]' or something. [^o)]

edit: btw, I do have 'cables with little boxes on one end of the cables' too, but they're not being used in this application.

All good thoughts. Though the original connections were just made about a week prior with cables taken from other equipment that had been sitting a long long time and no changes were made to phase.

Also a thought. These interconnects only have their shield grounded on one side. It's supposed to be grounded on the driver side of the signal source. Perhaps the ever so slight "muddleddedness" of the signal is introduced by having the shield connected from the other receiving end of the signal path instead of the source side? Why [if even]? I imagine I'd have to go to the library for that one as opposed to finding in-depth knowledge about transmission line theory on the Internet...

The reason for the shielding to only be attached at the head end is to eliminate ground loops. If the ground of each chasis is isolated from each other, you can't get a ground loop. Bruce R goes into it in his book "Audio Reality".

OK, I have a question somewhat related to this thread.

I run a HDMI connector / cable from my Denon 2910 DVD player to my Panasonic RP LCD TV.

One end of this cable has a barrel shaped plastic do-hicky about 2 inches before the termination of the cable. I have seen these on computer monitor cables and the power cord to my laptop.

What in tarnation is it, some sort of filter?

Does it matter which way the cable is oriented, meaning do-hicky end at the DVD or at the TV?

And is this correct way to spell do-hickey?

And is this correct way to spell do-hickey?

I know it's a 'shunt' but not much more then that; or what frequencies it is to operate over. I'm only [ahem] qualified to answer the last part. It seems either 'doohickey' or 'dohickey' will do almost equally well, with perhaps the nod going with 'doohickey' as being more appropriate in this context.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=doohickey

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=dohickey

...as "An unnamed gadget or trinket." is not defined under 'dohickey' but is under 'doohickey'. ...though that might just be a clerical error on the part of someone @ dictionary.com too... [:P]

I think a good argument calls for personal experience revealing results that differ from those of the poster. Otherwise one would just be arguing BS against finding of fact, it seems.

Keith

Kieth, the above is incorrect. Of all the tests (thousands!) performed in blind studies, never, not once, ever, has anyone picked out speaker wire or interconnects as long as they were within the wide range of a "normal" wire. The speakers swamp any ability to hear a wire. I know it is sad to realize the snake oil that is pushed on people by the high end audio companies, but, that is marketing!

I think a good argument calls for personal experience revealing results that differ from those of the poster. Otherwise one would just be arguing BS against finding of fact, it seems.

Keith

Kieth, the above is incorrect. Of all the tests (thousands!) performed in blind studies, never, not once, ever, has anyone picked out speaker wire or interconnects as long as they were within the wide range of a "normal" wire. The speakers swamp any ability to hear a wire. I know it is sad to realize the snake oil that is pushed on people by the high end audio companies, but, that is marketing!

I spent two hours will Bill Low (AudioQuest owner/founder) and I will say ANYONE here would LOVE to talk to him.

He honest to god cares about MUSIC and ENJOYING it, not about the

audiophile BS. He spent time talking about enjoying music, how

you need to listen to speakers based on how they perform, not how

clinical they sound. Most down to earth, but brilliant person I

have met. He treated his products as a way to reach enjoyment,

not as a nessasary thing you had to do to make your system work.

I spent two hours will Bill Low (AudioQuest owner/founder) and I will say ANYONE here would LOVE to talk to him.

He honest to god cares about MUSIC and ENJOYING it, not about the audiophile BS. He spent time talking about enjoying music, how you need to listen to speakers based on how they perform, not how clinical they sound. Most down to earth, but brilliant person I have met. He treated his products as a way to reach enjoyment, not as a nessasary thing you had to do to make your system work.

I do not doubt that he is nice fellow.

However, it is still the case that electrons do NOT know about the "direction" of the cable.

It really is as simple as that. My friendly suggestion is that you put the time and energy into obtaining well-reorded music. That will make a difference in the sound.

Good luck,

-Tom

Yeah, I didn't even discuss cables or anything specific (we talked about cars [:P] ), as that really was not the point.

One thing I will say is as far as audio knowledge (technical, misic

knowledge, etc.), I bet he would give anyone on this forum a run for

their money.

Uh... what the heck are you guys talking about? Taking interconnects and flipping their ports around? Taking them out and replugging in?

You're telling me you hear a difference by doing that? Umm.. aren't they the same on both ends?

Let me guess - Is this also "Jaw dropping"?

Let me guess - Is this also "Jaw dropping"?

..."subtle" would be the word. Let me guess, you didn't read the thread...? You'd read I realized I was a dope and no, it was probably not the direction of the cable but the oxidization on the RCAs that were never connected to for years and years which scraped off on removing and reconnecting the cable.