Thinking about vinyl HELP!!

oscarsear

Looking N2 mebbe getting back into some vinyl. Need input on what ALL it is that I need to consider. No doubt I will buy used stuff and it seems that many good systems can be found on Audiogon. TT/tone arm/stylus/record cleaner kit, agent?/phono-preamp.... If I obtain the analogue phono input for my Accuphase 530 will I need a separate phono pre-amp??? Anythings else (aside from records which I have NONE).

HELP....... product choices versus $$$ and stylus choice (moving coil???). Budget is open yet sensible.... essentially best bang for the buck. Thnx Dave

Just for reference the phono stage that goes into the 530 is the same as the one that goes into the 406/7 that my friend Tony used to have.

When he sold the amp he kept the phono stage and AFAIK he still has it somewhere. It was rather expensive back then - I have no idea on the price today. If you are interested and in the market I can find out for you if he still has it and a price.

Other than that there are many Thorens options in teh used market that people rave over - shoot a mail to Wolfram Allan etc. and they will be able to advise on desirable and less desirable options.

At least with the Accuphase phono stage you wont have to worry about MC/MM - it supports both.

Looking N2 mebbe getting back into some vinyl. Need input on what ALL it is that I need to consider. No doubt I will buy used stuff and ...

I was in the same boat as you a little over a year ago. No TT, no LPs, no real clue. I did have a pre with a MM phono stage. Asked a lot of questions here, was looking at Rega, Pro-Ject, Music Hall, Sota and some other used tables. Considered a new Scout. Here is the conclusion I came to.

If down the road I really liked vinyl I did not think a Scout would be my last table. So I concentrated on cheaper tables to test the waters. I ended up going with a Music Hall MMF-5. They are easy to pick up used, have a good reputation and some design features that I liked. It is a plug in and go table. Comes with a decent arm/cartridge. As you move up the food chain you are looking at separate tables, arms, cartridges. I figured get a starter table as a complete package so there was some synergy. I could not be happier with the MMF-5. I have been bitten by the vinyl bug hard.

In addition to the numerous LPs I have purchased I have also gone with a different pre, mono tube amps and a different CD player making a total separate 2 channel system over the original SS surround processor and amps that I originally ran the table on.

While I am happy I am now looking to upgrade. I am thinking a 2-3 K budget for table/arm now. Glad I did not put 1200-1600 in a Scout. If I had not liked the sound or hassle factor associated with vinyl I would have only been out about $500 and could have gotten most of that back selling off the table.

One thing I think you must have is a decent LP cleaning machine. So budget another 350-600. I went with a VPI 16.5 and have no regrets.

So my suggestion would be to go 'ALL IN' or go the budget route. If you think you are totally committed get a killer set up and be done with the buying, upgrading, selling mess and enjoy the music. Plenty of people here can help you out with that as many here have very nice rigs. Or go the $200-500 used route where you will get a TT/Arm/Cart all together. See if you like it...if not you should be able to get most of your investment back.

I'm still offering my Thorens TD165 w/Grado Green cart and about 200+ LPs for $200. I have a few folks interested that I never got back to but was hoping to let someone have it who doesn't already have any vinyl. Only problem is I won't ship.

If you're interested, let me know and I'll give you more details. It's a pretty good sounding rig and the LPs are worth at least the $200.

Thats a good offer made by Gary. If far....far.....away is close to Maryland, that would be a good deal.

Another consideration would be to buy a NEW Technics SL1210 from musiciansfriend for $399, add a Denon 110 from williamthacker on eBay for $120 and buy a used Bellari tube phono amp on Agon for $150-$175. If you should decide down the line that analog isn't for you, you would have little problem selling the hardware with very little loss. The 1200 comes with a removeable headshell, which will make learning to install cartridges easier. They also have an inexpensive upgrade path thru KABusa down the road if you find you are having fun. Otherwise they are pretty much set it and forget it and are built like a tank. Excellent speed stability also.

With no Lp's currently, I take it you have found a local access to a good supply of albums that you will enjoy?

There are lots of good options, so I thought I would add a simple one for you to consider.

Steve

MaxG.... please do check with your friend about the Accuphase analogue board

Gary MD... Sadly Far, Far Away is indeed a distance from Maryland....it's northern Idaho near Coeur d'Alene (or Spokane, Washington). If shipping's not an option we're in trouble. It's really too bad to cuz I'm getting grief from the Mrs. that I don't own any records so why get the gear???? I had a 700 lb marble fountain shipped to me from Indiana w/o problems.......???

Everyone...appreciate the info..... Dave

While I am happy I am now looking to upgrade. I am thinking a 2-3 K budget for table/arm now.

Rich, there are some interesting Basis deals on Audiogon. Another forum member was interested in the 2001, a killer deal that is located near Pittsburgh, but was told it's been sold. FYI.

Larry

Larry, you and I talked about that one at Marty's a few weeks back. Piranha, called about it and it was sold. Tax time for me and my business right now...sadly my BBX and TT will have to wait a bit longer until I sort out all my details with Uncle Sam. Typically that gets done about 11:59 on April 15th.

Keep your eye out for me after April.

Apparently it's not -- check with Piranha again if interested. It'd be nice if someone on the forum picked it up. That combo of a 2001 and Graham arm for the price of a good used 2001 alone is, well, "killer," and the buyer gets a cart to tide him/her over. It's not clear, but the deal becomes near-spectacular if he includes the Basis clamp. There was something like this about a year ago, so they don't show up super-often.

Larry