rf 35s and tubes

glenc

hello i m new to the forum and have a pair of rf 35s and bought a used jolida jd 801a to pair with them .i really enjoy the sound of the rf 35s.the jolida came with all sovtek tubes and the highs & voices are to forward for my taste.could i get some advise on a decent kt 88 tube to lean out the highs and voices so they are not as forward if possibale .i am new to tubes and really do like what they do for klipsch speakers.thanks for any help i can get.

I used RF-3 II's for about a year and half with various tube amps. They sounded best with 30 to 40 watts of Vintage tube integrated to my ears. I still miss them babies. I tried various modern Jolida's and other off shore made amps sent here for upgrade service with the speakers. Tube changes may make a mild difference in top end but the problem lies under the chassis. Some nice circuit tweaks will deliver the goods in conjuntion with a nice compliment of tubes. For tube rolling the most difference with be in the small signal tubes then the outputs.

Craig

thanks for everyones input.i really like the 35s .they have the sound i enjoy.that and i've never heard any of the other klipsch speakers to compare them to.before i bought them i looked on ebay at some forte11 and felt why buy used just buy a new pair of klipsch.maybe one of these days i'll get the fortes. i went with the 70 watt jolida cause every now and then i enjoy cranking the power up on a few songs or three and figured the more power the better .and thanks craig for the advise on the upgrades and i would be intrested in what you could do and some price ranges if you have the time.read all the great things you've done with your tubes and upgrades.thanks again. my first tube experence and i'm already upgrading.lol..as of now i really do like what they have done for my speakers i had a hk avr 635 on them and they had a local sound to them. they have opened up a whole lot in the sound, more laid back and kind of mellow sounding.just a little to forward in the top end.small glitz on the road to great sound.

Tube Complement - 4 - 6550, 2 - 12AX7A, 2 - 6SN7GT (KT-88's, KT-90's may also be used)

A nice pair of Telefunken 12AX7's would go a long way and there are some nice 6SN7GT options as well which would make a big difference in the sound that you are hearing. Craig is dead on when he says the small signal tubes make the biggest difference. Enjoy.

Good Evening All,

I just want to start off by saying thanks to Raptorman for the compliments, I had a great time on Sunday listening to some fine tunes.

I am currently using a pair of rf-35's with my Shanling STP-80 tube integrated. I upgraded the cheap tubes that came with it to a quad of new Mullards. I am very happy with my system. It has warmth and excellent imaging. As Raptorman stated on Sunday "the speakers disappear". I use to have my Heresy's hooked up to the tubes but they lacked the bass IMO. I traded the rf-35's from my wife's system and i have not looked back. The bass is deep and rich, not sloppy at all. I am very content with my set up and I can definitely say that the RF-35's sing with my tube amp (35 wpc). I hope you get your set up to where you are as happy.

Delano

thanks delano yes the tubes really did open up my rf35s .i noticed that myself its like the music is just playing and not from the speakers.and also before with the other setup it seemed as if the music was being forced out of the speakers.now it as if they are flowing into the room.go figure.i've decided to send the amp to craig and have him do some work on it when he has the time.and see what it sounds like then. thanks for the help....