Turntable inputs on new receivers

Big Piney

Thank you for your quick replies. The pre-amp looks like a good choice as it got me to thinking that the quality of the input, if it is there on a high end receiver, might not be as good as some of the older "pure" receivers. At least now I know what to look for.

Thanks again.

My wife was playing some cd's and it just quit. The power light comes on but nothing else. No display, no nothing. I was going to take the cover off and see if there were any fuses inside that might be apparent. It had some overheating issues several years ago that I had repaired. It is a JVC RX-707VTN which, I recall as prety top of the line at the time. Of course that was 1993 or so. Might just be time for an update.

If you're happy with it, I'd suggest you do what you mentioned and take the cover off.

Additionally, I would unplug it from the wall, wait 15 minutes or so and plug it back in. I had a Sony reciever that shut down once, figured it was history, and bought a new Denon. Few months later I plugged it in for whatever reason and the dang thing came back to life. Then I read in the manual that it has a "reset" feature.

OTOH - this might be God's way of saying that you need new gear. [:)]

Tom

I guess I would also ask you if you are running a two-channel setup with vinyl or you have plans to use the new receiver as part of a 5.1-7.1. If this is just a two-channel setup, there are plenty of two-channel high-end receivers from the early 90s still out there on the used market with great phono preamps - and with some nice amps inside. I still use a Luxman receiver from the early 90s. as a phono pre, and I have also loved many of the Nakamichi units. You might be surprised at the price you can get one on ebay, etc. - for less than the price of a NAD PP2.

On the other hand, if you want to use the receiver as part of a 5.1-7.1 setup, the NAD PP2 is a good idea.

Carl.