Connector for thicker speaker wire to Heritage crossovers?

meagain

I need to rip out all my speaker wire because I don't trust it.

I have perhaps 10? g speaker wire but we've not been able to use it because the crossovers don't accept big spades.

I have the screw down monster cable thingies as depicted in the picture shoved into the L shaped gold piece that has a spade.

1. Does anyone know if that setup will work as pictured? The post doesn't go into the L-shaped gadget all the way. Is that a problem?

2. Anyone know what these L-shaped gadgets are called?

3. Does anyone know if the spade on these monster gadgets would fit in standard heritage crossovers? http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1062

4. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I have this thick wire laying around and it seems a waste. I currently have Home depot 14g wire with the screw on monster posts at the receiver end and I think something's wrong with them somewhere. I keep losing bass for zero reason.

post-20189-13819284415048_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mark. I hope that price isn't 'each'!

They appear to do the screw down thing, but I question if that spade will slide into the crossover strip channel. That's my big problem. Radio shack has the clamp down spades that will fit, but they only accept thin speakerwire. It seems spades that accommodate thicker wire are huge & don't fit.

Thanks Mark. I hope that price isn't 'each'!

They appear to do the screw down thing, but I question if that spade will slide into the crossover strip channel. That's my big problem. Radio shack has the clamp down spades that will fit, but they only accept thin speakerwire. It seems spades that accommodate thicker wire are huge & don't fit.

The price is for eight.. They are clones of the WBT connectors. I'm using the locking banana plugs they sell - build quality is great. They may be big - you could shave down the width if needed.

For possible comparison purposes, I have WBT spades on fairly hefty spkr wire that measure 9/16" across on the outside, 5/16" across on the inside where the binding post would go, and 3/32" thick. These worked well on my AK-4 binding posts as well as the amps, altho' I don't know about earlier Klipsch networks. Check on the spade thickness, since mine wouldn't have worked if thicker than 3/32".

The simplest answer is to get spades that accept larger wire but are small enough to fit into the terminal strips. Here are two links to some spades that WILL fit between the terminal barriers and WILL accept up to 10 ga. wire:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=095-671

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=095-677

They're gold plated to resist corrosion, but, unfortunately, at only $1.10 for two pair you won't be able to brag to your friends about how much they cost. If you get these, buy several pair because you always need more than you think you will.

If your wire is larger than 10 ga., Parts Express also has spades that will accept up to 8 ga. wire and will still fit between the terminal barriers.

Thank you. Part of my problem is I'm not sure what gauge this wire is. All it says on it is 'Monster Cable - Made in USA'. When I smooth out/compress the wire itself at the end and hold it over a measure.... it's 1/8" wide.

Being able to hook a post into the crossover somehow would be a bonus because we (unfortunately) are tending to change to other speakers, etc. but as long as I can use this (hopefully better) wire somehow - that would be great.

Bob's crossovers made a big difference from the AK-2's. Much better detail. Getting rid of the green corroded old Monster wire helped a lot too I'm sure. I got the new Monster speaker wire at Barretts Home Theater in Naperville and the connectors at Lowes. The Monster connectors were way too wide.

Thanks guys. We were being stupid. We couldn't find the above yellow spades at Radio Shack or Home Depot so pegged it as 'something we'd have to order somewhere'. Apparently they were just out of them, but we got some yesterday at Home Depot. Now we have our 12g? wire hooked up.

I'm going to save the above links for when we buy all new wire. Right now we are triaging things to eliminate suspected mythological gremlins.

Does the gold spades 'just' prevent corrosion? Or does it bring something else to the table? I doubt we'd hear any difference between a gold vs. cheap metal spade, but I want to do right by everything to cover my butt.

Mark,

Great link! Just to be sure thise spades will fit on a stock klipsch network binding post? These would also be good for MC amplifiers if so!! Nice looking spade for sure.

• 11 months later...

"We couldn't find the above yellow spades at Radio Shack or Home Depot "

You can also get them at auto parts stores.

On some of the fancy cables...the wire won't fit. There is often a plastic core that you can cut a 1/4 inch off of on the end, then the wire slips in easy.

Wire crimping these yellow spades can become a real work out...if you decide to solder...put some flux paste on the end of the wire, before sliding them into the connector.