Heresy crossovers

jk6827

I could use some expert help. I just picked up a pair of Heresy E crossovers, I have 1 Heresy

speaker and plan on a diy project for the 2nd. The one I have has an E2 crossover in it.

I noticed on the E2 that there is Aerovox caps; but on the E there are 2 small caps and 2 transformers, and thats it.

I asked the person I bought them from if they were missing anything, and he said no and they worked fine. Also will I be able to replace the E2 xover with the E.

I have a couple pictures, if anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Could someone tell me how to get photos in here?

Type E network has an autotransformer, an inductor (looks like a transformer but with fewer connections), and two 2 uF capacitors. Type E2 is identical with the exception of a 33 uF electrolytic capacitor connected across the woofer.

If the caps on your E2 are metal cans of some sort, they have almost certainly been replaced. Klipsch was using metallized foil caps in the Heresys when the E2 was current. The ones I have seen were all rectangular shaped with feet for mounting to the board. But there could be others.

You don't want to replace an E2 with an E. The networks differ because of the difference in woofers and squawker drivers. You can convert an E to an E2, however, simply by adding the 33 uF capacitor.

Thanks, for the help. do you know where I can get the Aerovox caps? I only need one for each xover right. Should I replace the 2 uF caps also.

On the E xovers, I noticed a wire running from the woofer through each of the terminals, is that normal?

I have a couple pics, sorry one is a little blurry.

Thanks again.

post-21802-13819286559544_thumb.jpg

post-21802-1381929083705_thumb.jpg

post-21802-1381929480265_thumb.jpg

You definitely want to replace the yellow 2 uF caps on that crossover. Somebody replaced the originals. You can see the screw holes where they were mounted.

There has been a lot of discussion on this site about what the best capacitors are. You can find it in the archives. FWIW I use Solen Fastcaps. They are metallized polypropylene. I would use the same for the 33 uF cap. Just about anything is better than the electrolytic used on the E2. It was chosen because it is cheap and small. But there is plenty of room to mount a 33 uF polypropylene cap on that board. Both networks should have the same brand caps in equivalent locations.

Thanks again for your help. Although I have a few more questions.

What caps should I use to replace the existing ones, and where can I find them?

Where will I connect the 33uF caps, and where would the best placement be?

I was also wondering what series my Heresy is,it has a k-77,k-52H,k22R in it.

On the back top of the cabinet 142x554.

Should I look for the same speakers for my diy project or will there be compatability issues

with other Klipsch speakers with the E2 xover.

I really appreciate all the help.

As I said, I use Solen Fastcaps. You can find them online at many places including here. The 33 uF cap is connected just the way the current one is on the E2 network. Place on the board is up to you.

You speaker is a Heresy manufactured toward the end of the run, approx. 1983. Somebody who knows where the date table is can tell you precisely. It has a different squawker driver than earlier models. Yours has a K-52-H, earlier ones had a K-55-V and used a type E network. The K-52-H is functionally identical to the K-53-K used in the last of the Heresys and in the Heresy IIs. The only difference is that the K-52-H screws onto a K700 metal horn, and the K-53-K bolts onto a K701 plastic horn. You should use a K-52-H or K-53-K for its twin because the K-55-V sounds different than the K-52-H or K-53-K. Or you could go with K-55-Vs in both speakers. Then you just remove the 33 uF cap from the E2 network to turn it into an E.

Hi JK 6827,

I own a pair of HERESY 1 HBR from 1983

these are fitted with the E-2 Xover

If you can tell me how to include an attached Jpeg image to a post, I'll be pleased to give you all info about it, including an interesting and simple mod to make the HERESY 1 test AND sound better - to my personal taste, indeed.

Every attachment trail I have made failed... Have you got THE right method ?

Hello DrTUBE,

Sorry I didn't get back to you quick enough to help you.

I am about to get a pair of 81 Heresy's, im sure they will have the E2 xovers,and I would greatly appreciate any mods to help them sound better.(they already sound great).

If you just want to replace the 2.0 uF caps, then go with one of the following, Hovland, Auricap or Sonicap. Because of the simplicity of this network, the Hovlands may be a touch on the brighter side, great detail, but, maybe too much.

http://ldsg.snippets.org/appdx-ec.php3#CAPRECS

The above link will list some characteristics about some of the caps available and where you can obtain them.

Jensen PIO caps also can sound very nice in simple networks for a more laid back sound if your system is a little on the bright side at the moment.