Dynaco MkIII - what should I look for?

Ki Choi

Dee's MK-IIIs are wonderful (especially mated with the Ah!Tjoeb player)! I've always had it pounded into me that one should steer clear of "rust buckets." As Rick said, find one in good condition.

Problem is "most likely" the units from Autospec started life before he painted them as "Rust Buckets" but I could be wrong? I just for the life of me can not figure why else he would go to such extremes painting and covering up wonderful chrome. It just stands to reason? He indeed does a wonderful job resurrecting these if they were indeed rust buckets. I myself would much rather spend a few more bucks/time buying bone stock clean examples do some polishing and put the money where it counts "Sonic improvements" after all isn't this about the Music?

If you want to end all the hassle of sourcing nice examples I can provide 100% brand new. I still have enough chassis for 2 pairs. I take the Mark III design to an absolute extreme in sonic ability IMHO.

See this thread

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/701835.aspx

I often see for sale listings touting the fact that the transformers have "Cloth Leads". I don't know what that even means, but seems to be desirable.

So what is the deal on that? If they don't have cloth leads, what do they have? Is there an easy way to tell?

Sorry if this is a novice question, but thought it might help the would-be MK III buyer as well as stifle my curiosity.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Rich,

Ahhh the cloth leads. Lets make something clear first the desirability of the cloth leads is not the fact that they are "cloth" It is just a way to determine the origin of the iron transformers. The cloth lead Dynaco's were hand wound in the good olde USA. The later Iron was wound in Japan and is said to be a lesser quality. I personally thinks its splitting hairs difference in reality! I've done both and both turn out wonderful. Your Mark III's are cloth lead by the way.

Craig