Help me pick a receiver

98_1LE

I know there are a bunch of audio fanatics here, so hopefully some will have suggestions (I am home-audio ignorant). I am looking to upgrade my old Prologic receiver with a more modern one. Power isn't much of a concern as I live in an apartment, though I would like to be respectable. I'll probably replace it again in a couple years when I buy a house, but want something with better DVD surround effects to tide me over until then. I am considering the Denon AVR-1801 but wanted some opinions.

Thanks,

Chuck

------------------

My system:

Pioneer VSX 454 receiver

Pioneer PD-F100 CD changer

Pioneer DV-414 DVD player

Klipsch KG5.5 main, KG.5 rear and KV-3 center

My website

rm -rf /bin/laden

Sorry, this place doesn't have as many members as CZ28. Give em some time to respond. I think most will agree to go with the Denon you said you were going with.

------------------

Denon AVR-2800

KG-4 mains (too bad the rest of my speakers aren't this good)

Polk C-175 center (it's ok)

Infinity RS-10 Surrounds (suck)

Audiosource SW-15 subwoofer (excellent sub for it's price)

Pioneer DV333 DVD

Sony 5 disc CD player

All in a 12x12 apartment bedroom.

"What?! I can't hear you!"

Chuck, I've been in the same predicament as you recently. Needed to upgrade from my old sony pro logic to a newer, full featured receiver.

I got about as much help from the people here as you're getting ...86 views and 1 reply. Newbies aren't made to feel real welcome by a lot of the members. Not all ..but a lot. Some of the guys here wouldn't even think of owning a reciever.

YOU HAVE NO TUBES?! YOUR SPEAKERS DIDN'T COST $20K?! *GASP*

I'm not gonna make any friends with this post am I!? cwm24.gif

With the help of some really cool people here I narrowed my choices down to the outlaw ($499), the onkyo 787 ($550 and up) and the denon 2802 ($550 and up). They are all very nice recievers with a lot of similar up to date features. I chose a refurbished onkyo 787 from ubid for $509 + shipping/handling. It seemed to offer the most features and power of the three recievers. In your case you should bypass the weaker receivers now and just pony up a couple hundred more for the far better product. Then you won't have to upgrade for 5-10 years!

-Don

------------------

Ubid customer service SUX. Be very wary if you use them.

This message has been edited by BigBusa on 10-30-2001 at 08:05 AM

<soapbox> First, I must take exception to the intimation that this board is populated by snobs and elitists Smile.gif As a relative "old timer" on this board, I've got to say that the real old timers were nothing but incredibly helpful when I was in the newbie status. And as far as elitism goes, I think most of us are in the same boat - trying to get some great systems put together without breaking the bank or the WAF while putting kids through college and paying mortgages. 98, you are most welcome here. Most of us have many other demands on our time that preclude us from posting immediate responses to your inquiries. Smile.gif</soapbox>

Several of the Denon models are on closeout now, as you probably know. The 1801 is a nice unit, as is the 2801, both on clearance so are very good values now. Since you intend to upgrade again before long, you may not want to bother investing in anything more than these for now.

Post away, friend!

DD2

Now normally I don't help Chevy guys but since you own Klipsch I will make an exception:-) I love Harman/Kardon so I would recommend that of course. I believe that they have the best amplification stages in a receiver. However the Denon is a good unit too.

On a more generic level I would say that if you are planning on upgrading in the future that it would be worth your money to buy an amplifier that has line level outputs for all the channels. (note: I am not talking about the 5.1 analog inputs almost all receivers have those). If you buy am amplifier that supports this then you can add additional amplifiers as money and room size permit without having to purchase a whole other reciever. A typical upgrade path using this method could be receiver, receiver and outboard amps, preamplifier and outboard amps, sell receiver.

Since you are in the Dallas area I would be more than happy to demo the HK unit I have for you if you want.

Laters,cwm9.gif

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

Thanks for all the responses. I ordered a Denon AVR-1801 today. Got it for $318 delivered and can't wait until it gets here Smile.gif

------------------

My system:

Pioneer VSX 454 receiver

Pioneer PD-F100 CD changer

Pioneer DV-414 DVD player

Klipsch KG5.5 main, KG.5 rear and KV-3 center

My website

rm -rf /bin/laden

I am a salesman so I hate to buy what everyone else buys and be a conformist.

For example, I have Chesapeake Bay Retrievers instead of Labs.

If I did not get the great deal on the Newcastle separates I bought a month ago I was seroisly considering the following in order of quality perception for music:

1. NAD T761 not alot of effects modes but lots of high current headroom and great build quality.

2. Outlaw Limited number of digital inputs and lower power; good build quality and price

3. HK and Onkyo forget the model numbers but they use good DACs and have good high current capability.