Gillan's Inn out 4/18/06

colterphoto1

Here's the blurb from Deep Purple's Ian Gillan re the release of his new Double CD/DVD due out in US stores:

Thank you all for the support and the kind words on my profile.

Tomorrow 4/18, Gillan's Inn will be in stores, so make sure to puck it

up. It contains a WHOS WHO of rock luminaries: Ian

Gillan, Steve Morse, Uli Jon Roth, Tony Iommi, Jon Lord, Ian Paice,

Roger Glover, Joe Satriani, Ronnie James Dio, Jeff Healey, Johnny

Rzeznik, Steve Morris, Joe Elliot and more.

FEATURES INCLUDE:

CD SIDE:

Complete album in stereo.

DVD SIDE:

Complete album in 5.1 surround sound and stereo.

Smoke on the Water choose your own mix with your choice of Joe Satriani, Steve Morse, Jeff Healey and more.

Making of Gillans Inn video featuring in-the-studio footage of Ian

Gillan, Jon Lord, Ian Paice, Roger Glover, Joe Satriani, Ronnie James

Dio, Michael Lee, and Jeff Healey.

Bootleg basement-amateur, audience shot footage lifted from

unauthorized bootleg DVD's. Tracks include "Speed King" and "When A

Blind Man Cries" by Deep Purple (with Joe Satriani on guitar) from

Flanders Expo, Gent, Belgium on June 18, 1994.

Discography.

Hand written song lyrics by Ian Gillan.

Track commentary by Ian Gillan.

Liner notes written by Jeff Miers, Music Critic for The Buffalo News.

Witness Protection Program a selection of never before seen photos featuring the bonus track Can I get a Witness.

Special DVD Launcher ROM features that enable fans to access another version of "Smoke On The Water" featuring Steve Morris.

Pre-ripped AAC and WMA files for the unrestricted uploading of personal

surround mixes to portable devices from computer ROM drives.

Make sure to let us know what you think of Gillan's Inn.

Cheers,

Ian

"Smoke on the Water choose your own mix with your choice of Joe Satriani, Steve Morse, Jeff Healey and more."

This section really interests me, apparently you can listen to different DVD 'languages' and select the guitarist to 'sit in' with the band. So it's the same track with different guitarists- I think is a really fun presentation.

But you're right- If only Ritchie could be there. But anyone who know's DP knows that the Ian v. Ritchie squabble is rock's longest running feud.

I'll be at Best Buys when they open tomorrow.

Michael

Colterphoto1; I've always liked Deep Purple, great band, but Ian always lacked something, could never put my finger on it until, Stormbringer, Ritchie's last album with that band before a reunion of sorts, years later.David Cloverdale takes over lead vocals, and now I know what Ian lacked, he can't sing, not like Cloverdale.Dave can belt it out, way before Whitesnake, a professional frontman, much like Ronnie James Dio, Joe lynn Turner. To me, Ritchie the Bitchie Blackmore is, was, and will always be, Deep Purple. Ian Gillian is the lead singer for Purple, had many hits with the band, and continues to front the reformed line-up, but Blackmore was the heart and soul of that band. Let us know about the dvd, it's still part of rock history, Enjoy!

Thanks for the info Michael.As to Bitchie B,DP is not the same without

him, I always thought he was great but he thought he was the

"greatest".I saw him as great but limited.Come Taste the

Band(without RB and IG) is my 2nd favorite DP lp after Machine Head.

I guess it's that swashbuckling bravado and willingness to take chances onstage that I like about Ian. He is an interesting lyricist and if you've ever been to a DP show or heard many boots or live recordings, he'll take the song different directions like the rest of the band.

Yes the MkII linup was one of the strongest, but I've collected DP and offshoots for years. For example I have all 20 CD's that the Tommy Bolin Archives put out. Now I know his short tenure with DP led to his OD and that he was on the downslide on a lot of shows, but the kid had a brilliant career before stepping into the banjo players shoes.

Likewise singers Coverversion and Hughes added different dimensions to the band. The two of them together towered over Ian's vocal athletics. Remember that David was a rich newcomer from nowhere. Glenn had been the frontman in Trapeze and his 5 octave range was much of Stormbringer and Come Taste the Band. Interesting to note the differences in those two recordings, the only personnel change being at guitar. Glenn also co-wrote many of the bands songs during his tenure. He was really the best singer of all time with DP.

I enjoy R&R history and DP is a great band to follow in this regard. Ian's solo works during the breakup and after the reunion have been interesting roots type rock, Glenn has done many many fantastic projects with numerous lineups, including Blues Authority, Ritchie and Rainbow obviously, with their revolving roster, thanks to mr ahole himself! Even Roger Glover and Jon Lord have quite a few titles to their name.

So I enjoy em all. I'll give a little review of the CD/DVD later today. If anyone has any questions about any DP recordings, ship em my way. I'll try to help out the best I can .

Michael

Colter; I don't want to be a pain but Coverversion is alittle much? What did he cover on Stormbringer? He sang what was written, his singing was good, Ritchies guitar was never better with Deep Purple STUDIO recordings. I also don't feel you give Roger Glover his proper due either. He was a big part of that band, and had a big hand in producing their albums, and writing some of the songs. Really, when all is said and done, look at the whole picture, the whole band, everyone, helped make Deep Purple a band. In the end what does it really matter, It's Only Rock and Roll!!!!

Colter; I don't want to be a pain but Coverversion is alittle much? What did he cover on Stormbringer? He sang what was written, his singing was good, Ritchies guitar was never better with Deep Purple STUDIO recordings. I also don't feel you give Roger Glover his proper due either. He was a big part of that band, and had a big hand in producing their albums, and writing some of the songs. Really, when all is said and done, look at the whole picture, the whole band, everyone, helped make Deep Purple a band. In the end what does it really matter, It's Only Rock and Roll!!!!

David was well known for being a big Robert Plant fan. So he did the big hair, the rock and roll stance, tried his best to to the screams, but usually live it just sounded like a yelp from someone stepping on his toe. Hence the David Coververison moniker. I liked him with the band too, he and Glenn made an awesome singing duo on many tunes. His later work was also splendid. It was a dream of mine to see members of my two fave bands get together as Jimmy Page and David did. That album was very cool, kind of roots/ bluesy, but you should have heard David try to do Zep songs live- really pitiful- I mean like the worst Plant karaoke you've ever heard. Sorry, DC had his niche, but couldn't do everything.

I didn't mean to shortchange Roger (known as the stinking hippie for his late nite mixing sessions and refusal to change clothing). He was an integral part of the songwriting and production machinery. While not flashy on stage or in recordings (is there any bass solo anywhere on any DP album?), he kept a great bottom end and his stage presense was always jovial- I think he helped play peacemaker between the warring factions as long as humanly possible. He might be one of the reasons the 85 reunion came together.

Even Ian Paice, clearly one of the most underrated drummers in the industry deserves much credit. If you listen to his work closely, he's a SWING drummer, his intros and fills are beyond compare. Technically, maybe only Carl Palmer could hold a candle to Paicey. Yes there are flashier guys these days, but Ian gave the others space, while filling and keeping a good cymbal wash ala Keith Moon. I think some of the Playboy music polls list Ian Paice highly, but that is a farily sophisticated subclass of music lovers.

What to say about John Lord, except here is a guy who knows every song ever written in the history of the world. I've spoken to him a couple of times, very erudite gentleman.

I'm off the Best Buys right now.. I love getting albums (oops CD's) on the first day. Rarely do I get excited about a new release. Guess I'm still stuck in the 70's- not a bad place to be musically.

Again, give the tracks on MySpace a listen, I think they're great!

Michael

Okay, picked it up. Its CD on one side of disc DVD on the other. THought it was gonna be two discs. Only like $14.99 at Best Buys.

Listened to a few tracks on the way home, very heavy sound, different leads than the original versions of Gillan tracks. John McCoy used lots of whammy bar, don't hear that here. It's kind of neat hearing different versions of songs I've gotten used to. This is obviously top notch recording with young band mates. Very vigorous workout. Nice deep bass chugging along, tons of vocal effects, Ian was always fond of that, long echoes, predelay, and phaseing.

One of the vid portions is bootleg stuff, it was all they had I guess, watched Satch (Satriani) doing Black Night with Purple. I think he just filled in for a few Florida shows when Morse was first hired and had other Dixie Dregs engagements. Joe actually looks a bit like Ritchie but plays entirely differently of course.

Didn't get through all 4 versions of Smoke, but how different can that song be played, maybe the solos will tell, but I didn't see that much change from one guitarist to the other, they all stayed pretty true to the original. This bit was a little dissapointing.

Overall, for any Gillan fan, I think this puts a fresh face on some well-loved tracks from the old IGB and Gillan days, as well as a few Purple faves.

Will watch more DVD and listen to tracks on main system to see how the 5.1 implementation worked out. I think it's cool to have 2 ch and 5.1 mixes on the same disc, I've never heard of this before.

Michael

I am stuck in the seventies, we could go on forever with this, because we've only just begun to chat about what went on musically in that decade. You mentioned Cloverdale/ Page, they were ok, I liked the FIRM much better. Paul Rodgers, now there's a voice, I guess he's a professional frontman too, one of Rocks best. Zeppelin takes off, Super groups are formed, the Beatles step aside, Punk, Funk, Reggae, Progressive Bands, and Southern Rock explodes, great times for music, and then the Faceless, hitmaker, record selling, radio GA-GA, bland, crap took over. At worst, this has been enjoyable for me, I thank you for that Colterphoto1. Peace !!!

Did some listening with the lights out last night. Interestingly, although the CD side plays in my 2005 Honda Accord just fine, It WILL NOT PLAY in my Denon CD deck, it plays in the DVD player though, so my mind is blown on that point.

I put in the 5.1 side and was simply mesmerized. I've not heard a great number of 5.1 audio discs, but have heard about some mixes that are bothersome, some with little surround implementation.

I can't put my finger on it, but this one feels RIGHT. On one number, there are two Hammond B3 organs, Jon Lord from DP and another guy. They've got one pretty hard panned front right and the other rear left, leaving the listener in a swirling mass of Leslies. Other tracks have vocal delay in rear, guitars swooping around the room, you get the picture. Plus the bass and drums are fairly heavy and deep, and using the sub channel just makes this shake you to your spine. I had my LS/CW system up to -15 and it was just incredible! (usually movies are -20 reference, so yeah, I was CRANKIN it)

I really really LIKE this disk. Gotta find out if it'll play in Computer or what the CD problem is. I placed a question on Ian's MySpace site.

Michael

"Smoke on the Water choose your own mix with your choice of Joe Satriani, Steve Morse, Jeff Healey and more."

This section really interests me, apparently you can listen to different DVD 'languages' and select the guitarist to 'sit in' with the band. So it's the same track with different guitarists- I think is a really fun presentation.

But you're right- If only Ritchie could be there. But anyone who know's DP knows that the Ian v. Ritchie squabble is rock's longest running feud.

I'll be at Best Buys when they open tomorrow.

Michael

That was done with King Crimson also. Pretty cool. Very difficult to accomplish. Timings of recordings have to be the same, but maybe with real time speeds, it's not that miraculous.