Is this Jazz LP that good?

rplace

I guess I am more interested in the music then the cost. I have some recordings that I have gotten thousands of dollars of enjoyment out of and only paid a few bucks for.

I have personally not heard the LP or CD. So I don't know if I would like it. I don't regularly look for it on ebay, so don't know the fare market value, but I have seen it from time to time, but typically it is in VG+ condition. I have recently had a bad run of LPs that look decent (visually graded VG++ or NM-) but end up sounding like they were previously played with an ice pick.

The add copy says the jazz recording of the century, wow. Even if it is half that good it should be great.

Does it hold a candle to the likes of; Page One, Songs for my Father, Blue Trane, Moaning, Six Pieces of Silver, Take Five, Led Zeppelin II (oops wrong thread). You get the idea...is it great music or marketing hype?

I think that is the shortest review I have seen from Allan [;)]

The add copy says the jazz recording of the century, wow. Even if it is half that good it should be great.

Does it hold a candle to the likes of; Page One, Songs for my Father, Blue Trane, Moaning, Six Pieces of Silver, Take Five, Led Zeppelin II (oops wrong thread). You get the idea...is it great music or marketing hype?

It's an audiophile's favorite. The music is dull--boring!!!! Don't waste $50--there are at least 1000 LPs I could reccomend that you would prefer, BELIEVE ME!!

By the way, it's a 2-LP set.

That recording is not one of the best jazz recording but actually one the worst. If music is important for you that is... This POS must have been released as an April fool's joke.

The music is awful. The drummer and the bass player could win the award for the worst supporting team. The version of Take 5 makes Kenny G looks like an artist.

As far as the recording is concerned, if the goal is to hear a 12 foot long xylophone that goes hard right to hard left in the "stereo picture" this record is for you. Needless to say, you'll feel like your head is 2 inches from the said xylophone.

ttrhp, send me a copy of the cd and you can be first in line for Gary's. Actually you can be first in line no matter what. I would not mind checking it out...but have a pile of vinyl I havenot yet gotten to.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

rich,

drop me an email with your address and I ll send you a copy

of the album,matter of fact,I ll send you a few audiophile Cd

(burmeister smaple II)..and talking about vinyl.I just bought about 500

jazz album from a jazz hobbyist.I went through about 20 and still have

the other 480 left untouch..hahahaha..

rich,

drop me an email with your address and I ll send you a copy

of the album,matter of fact,I ll send you a few audiophile Cd

(burmeister smaple II)..and talking about vinyl.I just bought about 500

jazz album from a jazz hobbyist.I went through about 20 and still have

the other 480 left untouch..hahahaha..

Not to sidetrack here too much, but if you're comfortable with the LP-> Cd recording methodolgy, would you be kind enough to start a thread on it for us?

Thanks,

Michael

It's one of those audiophile sonic spectaculars. Back in the 80's it got played so much at shows, and peoples homes to show off their latest high end purchase, it became stale. Stale because the music is just average although the recording is superb.

If you want a test record for imaging, it is a good one. The big thing is listening to the positioning of the audience and the tinkle of their wine glasses. (like anyone cares to hear glasses tinkle, but on the other hand, with KHorns even that sounds great! It is a great spacial recording for the anal retentive imaging folks.

Frankly, give me some Ray Brown Trio or Keith Jarrett and I'm there!

I actually think Allan and Painful were generous with their remarks. The music and the musicians are horrible. It does not deserve to be mentioned in the same century as Page One, Songs For My Father, Blue Trane, etc. I think you'd be better off never hearing it! Not worth the time of day in my opinion.

Klipsch out.