Anyone know about X10 Security?

m00n

I guess x-10 is the current replacement for UPB switches that have been used for a long time in the past.

I work for a company that does home automation/home security and we currently use x-10 and we find these to be 99/100 reliable as opposed to the 9/10 reliability of UPB switches.

Its a good system to go with...we currently use parts from a company in the States called HAI and they give pretty good products. The other great thing about HAI is the integration that can be made within Windows Media Center; this integration can allow remote access from anywhere in the world to control electronic switches, watch cameras...turn on music, call up a neighbor etc.. etc.... With x-10, things are responsive all the time...there is no fear of failure and no down time. Much easier to program. I guess the reason why we prefer HAI is because of the integration that can occur with WMC.

So now i'm lost, do you or do you not recommend this package? A co-worker he has used some X-10 stuff in the past, he likes what he has used but has never used any of the security stuff. Says the other X-10 stuff can be connected to a PC and you can send and receive X-10 signals to control lights, and what not.

I know, but I wanted to share my experience with their cameras. I also got the remote and light switches. It was a package deal just like that. I still have a lamp control module, and the remote kicking around. It reminds me alot of "the clapper" 19.95 get you two.. BUT WAIT! Order now and we will throw in a THIRD LAMP CONTROL MODULE at NO CHARGE!!

Its hokey crap, just be warned.

C

It does have appeal in your application, I have an ADT system that was added after the house was built, and it is all battery and remote driven. ex. the door and window switches are battery powered. I have never hooked it up. I bet it is the same with x10. the benifit of the x10 system is obviosly upfront cost, and no monthly expense. However, there are drawbacks. If you have a dead battery, is the zone also unprotected? Or does it shreik like a smoke detector before it dies? (that drives me crazy) also, if it has an auto dialer, will the police charge a per incident response fee? (if thats who you have it dial)

My solution for home security is a romanian NOS AK-47 under my bed, and good insurance. If I'm home, between the rottweiler and me, we'll be safe. If I'm gone, I get all new stuff from the insurance company. SWEET!

Hope this helps,

C

My cameras were plugged in.. picture this. Camera outside, mounted to the doorframe. Wire running in through doorjam, and plugged in to closest socket. If it was not close, splice in additional wire or use an extension cord. I know this may not carry over to your application, but I had to share my experience with X10.

Good luck!

• Moderators

" My solution for home security is a romanian NOS AK-47 under my bed, and good insurance. If I'm home, between the rottweiler and me, we'll be safe. If I'm gone, I get all new stuff from the insurance company. SWEET! "

Sounds good to me.

Living out in the country helps,about two years ago we lost the front door key,never used it, left the door unlocked and went on vacation for a week. If they want to get in they will.

Sounds good to me.

Living out in the country helps,about two years ago we lost the front door key,never used it, left the door unlocked and went on vacation for a week. If they want to get in they will.

Hmmmm. You have now announced that fact to about a billion net surfers worldwide. Better stay home.[;)]

Rick

Rick, Your theater is in a semi detached room right?

My suggestion is a battery back-up motion sensor with the loudest klaxton siren (150Db or better) you can find INSIDE the room. An alarm that just dials the police is not a deterent to thieves. It just calls for response after your stuff is gone (assuming honest officers otherwise it may be gone anyhow. Don't ask.).

The super loud horn, to the point of pain, will drive off the perps and alert you and the whole town. Theives don't like being seen, they will run or they will be too deaf to use your stuff.

Give a trusted neighbor a key and the code in case of false alarms when you are away.

Rick

• Moderators

Sounds good to me.

Hmmmm. You have now announced that fact to about a billion net surfers worldwide. Better stay home.[;)]

Rick

After the storm there is 9 people living here someone is always here, no need to lock the door, probably loose the key again.