Pentode EL-84 w/ Belles

richieb

I heard the A205A at the AKFest the other day. It is rated at 5W output power. The Almarro rep flew all the way from Japan for the show. It was played through some Almarro speakers, rated at 89dB.

It sounded fine with girlie music but when I threw in Pictures at an Exhibition, it was pathetic.

Much better was their 18W SET amp, the A318B, but that costs $1000 more than the other one.

The rep switched back and forth between the two amps and it was the proverbial night and day difference.

I've heard both amps in the past and actually much preferred the A205A for its cleaner and much more accurate sound.

Another recommendtion for PP EL-84 amp is LEAK Stereo 20 or a pair of LEAK TL12+ monoblocks.

Rick, I had an Anthem Integrated. A very nice amp. Like a fool I sold it because it didn't drive my then KG5.5's to sufficient levels, even though the sound was superb at lower spl's.

I'm still kicking myself. I should have upgarded my speakers to La Scalas, or similar, back then... [:(]

I have not heard those amplifiers with big ole horns. For that kind of money I would say you should first consider low-cost, refurbished, integrated tube amplifiers from fellow forum poster NOSvalves and others like him. I think that vintage equipment must be re-checked before judging it. Just like an old car that you are putting back on the road, many of the worn parts need replacing.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

These vintage integrated amplifiers have a lot more going on in them, and much more to offer than any of the modern integrated amplifier. You get a <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />REAL preamp section, with a PHONO stage, FIXED bias which runs the output tubes properly, tube rectification, a balance control and tone controls.

The ASL Wave 10s are nice, solid, kinda punchy sound for big ole horns. I have heard the copper-faced Cayin TA30 integrated tube amplifier on classic Klipsch Khorn loudspeakers at preacher man DaddyDees Khorn gathering in Arkansas, back in May, 2004 and can certainly recommend them also.

I serious auditioned, in my own home, in two locations, and three speakers, on my own equipment, for EnjoyTheMusic.com, the ASL AQ1003DT for a about one thousand. This too is a very competent, good, solid performer of an amplifier with no obvious shortcomings for big ole horns.

After a wonderful listening day with modified LaScalas at Mike Lindsays 2006 Florida get-together, I strongly recommend investing in NOSvalve KT88 VRD monoblocks. [H]