matching rear channel? how important?

FuzzyNY

I just set up a HT system and the rear I use 2 Quintets for the surround, I am just wondering how important that matching surround for movie(RS-3) in my case?

Thx,

Fuzz

------------------

Denon 3300

Klipsch RF-3II

Klipsch RC-3II

Klipsch Quintets surround

M&K MX-350 THX sub

Toshbia 6200 DVD player

Yamaha CDC-675 Changer

Toshbia 43HX70 HDTV

This message has been edited by FuzzyNY on 11-01-2001 at 04:09 PM

fuzzy it sounds like you may not be totally happy with the quintets in the rear? I dont know the answer but I have heard more than 1 person here say they were not totally satisfied with their quintets.

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

19?? Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

Onkyo TX-DS787 (reciever)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Sony KV 27V55 (9 year old 27" TV)

This ia kinda like apples to oranges so this is my story. I have KLF 30's up front with a C7 for the center for the rear I had KSF 8.5's got a good deal and they sounded great but I was hung up on this Timbre matching thing so I bit the bullet I got 2 more KLF 30's for the rears bottom line HOLY MOLY!!! it was quite a step up in sound really really amazing what's been missing for the rears all this time!

------------------

"FULLY LOADED"

J

Fuzz,

I pretty sure those Quintets can't keep up with the RF fronts and center, plus they are not the correct timbre match for the RF Series. As I see it you have three other choices to go with: full range rears with another set of RF-3II's, either RB-3 or RB-5 bookshelf speakers, or a pair of RS-3/II surrounds.

The first two options are more costly, but offer great benefits. The RS-3's are Wide Dispersion types and will provide room filling sound for rear area Home Theater use, they're the correct timbre match and cost far less. You should be able to find the RS-3's at a very reasonable price.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

My experience was that with Dolby Prologic, it didn't make a whole lot of difference what I ran for rears. My guess is that was because the rear signal was mono and not full range.

When I upgraded to Dolby Digital and DTS, it made a big difference if the rears did not have the same frequency range and timbre as the fronts.

Of course, what is important here is your experience. How do they sound to you?

haven't recieve the Klipsch Quintets yet, I am currently using a Energy take-1 for the rears.. not satisfy with the rear, it seems like the main and center outperfomce the rears too much and also the tone doesn't match too...

Fuzz

------------------

Denon 3300

Klipsch RF-3II

Klipsch RC-3II

M&K MX-350 THX sub

Toshbia 6200 DVD player

Yamaha CDC-675 Changer

Toshbia 43HX70 HDTV

This message has been edited by FuzzyNY on 11-01-2001 at 08:12 PM

FuzzyNY:

In my opinion, ShapeShifter has hit the nail on the head, so to speak. If you mainly listen to Home Theatre surround on your system, the best choice is the RS-3 II's. They will give you the ambient and direct sounds in the rear that Dolby Digital and DTS offer, will timbre match your RF-3 II's perfectly, along with being more efficient than the Quintets, leading to a more lifelike rear effect.

If you listen mainly to 5-channel music on your system, that is where I would look at another pair of RF-3 II's or RB-5 II's, etc for the rear.

PhilH

I agree with Phil about the sourround speaker choices.

RS-3II's if you listen mostly to movies and another RF-3 pair if you listen to music and movies and have the space to position the extra pair of RF-3's.

I would only match R series with R series speakers.This way all the speakers integrate well and form a uniform system.

I doubt the Quintets will do the trick,I tried this at one time and the result was a mixed one.Not recomended

TheEAR(s) Now theears

quote:

Originally posted by JTS8:

This ia kinda like apples to oranges so this is my story. I have KLF 30's up front with a C7 for the center for the rear I had KSF 8.5's got a good deal and they sounded great but I was hung up on this Timbre matching thing so I bit the bullet I got 2 more KLF 30's for the rears bottom line HOLY MOLY!!! it was quite a step up in sound really really amazing what's been missing for the rears all this time!

I know how you feel... I recently got rid of 2 pairs of heresy's (used as rear and back surrounds) and aquired another KLF-30 for the rears to go with my KLF-30 fronts and C7 center. There is a huge difference, even though I no longer have 6.1, the 5.1 with the 2 pairs KLF-30's and C7 sounds so much better.

Movies sound so natural now, I couldn't believe how good it sound.

Don't comprimise, get the matching rears.

Carl

quote:

Originally posted by TheEAR:

Carl,

You have TWO pairs of KLF-30's!Holy smokes,this must be a very dynamic HT.

Any sub(s)used to extend the LF of the KLF-30?How large is the room Carl?

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Yes I love KLF-30's. I think I have finally finished with the upgrading for nowSmile.gif I have a KSW 15 that I use mostly for movies. I turn the sub down when listening to music. Beleive it or not my room is only 13.5' x 15'. I sit about 8 feet from the fronts speakers & HDTV.

Carl

I agree wholeheartedly with CarlV. I use Cornwall/Heresy fronts and Cornwall/RS-3 rears with an Academy Center. Full Range Fronts w/matching Rears produces an amazing sound experience for HT movies & 5 channel music. The RS-3's also fill entire rear area with Wide Dispersion sounds for movies. I have not been to a Movie Theater in my area that matches this level of sonic pleasure. It's easy to see that I'm one happy Klipsch fan and admirer.

Regards to all.

"Good Sound Is A Balance Of Compromises"

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

----------------------------------------------

Main System Setup

NAD T 761 Receiver (Pre-outs to Outlaw/Amp 1/Dynaco)

Anthem Amp 1 (Tube Amp)

Dynaco Series II (Tube Amp)

Outlaw 750 5 Channel Amp

Klipsch Cornwalls (Front w/Dynaco Series II)

Klipsch Heresy's (Front w/Anthem Amp 1)

Klipsch Academy (Center w/Outlaw)

Klipsch Cornwall (1971) II's (Rear w/Outlaw)

Klipsch RS-3's (Rear w/NAD)

SVS SV20-39CS SUB (NAD 2400THX Amp Bridged)

Klipsch KSW-12 (Sub w/NAD Mains)

Klipsch RF-3's (NAD T 761 "B" Channel)

Denon DVM-3700 (HDCD/DVD)

Mitsubishi Stereo VCR

Mitsubishi 52" Wide Screen

Sony Remote Commander RM-AV2100

Monster Cable HTS-3500 Audio/Video Power Conditioner

Bedroom HT Setup

Onkyo TX-DS484

Sony DVP-530D

Sony Dual Cassette Deck

Phillips Magnavox 27'

Klipsch Quintets (Front & Center)

Klipsch SS-.5 Surrounds

Infinity SubWoofer (Powered by Sony STR-AV760)

Sony STR- AV760 (Sub out from Onkyo)

3rd System Setup - Listening Only

Fisher Model 800-B

Sony CD Changer CDP-CA80ES

Sony CassetteTC-K444esII

Technics Turntable SL-D2

Akiai GX-280D 4 Track Reel

Klipsch Walnut Quartet's

DAK Stereo Power Controller

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 11-08-2001 at 07:51 PM

recievd the Quintets yestersdays, the tone match with Quintets is much better than EnegryTake1, with EnegryTake1, it was keep reminding me that I am using different speakers for rear when I was listen to 5-Ch music but it doesn't happen with Quintets for rear, however, the Quintets definitely can't keep up with the RF3's because I experienced that the higher the volume the more the hiss from the Quintets, well probably time to start saving for RS-3

Thanks for the advices fellows

Fuzz

------------------

Denon 3300

Klipsch RF-3II

Klipsch RC-3II

M&K MX-350 THX sub

Toshbia 6200 DVD player

Yamaha CDC-675 Changer

Toshbia 43HX70 HDTV

This message has been edited by FuzzyNY on 11-08-2001 at 08:29 PM

Carl,

Your 13.5' x 15' room is quite large when you compare it to my 10' x 14'(damn even less! LOL ).And I am thinking now should I add another RF-7 for sourround duty? Smile.gif

Its sensory overload if I pump up the volume,under 5 watts of output right now I get HUGE sound.

What has Klipsch done!Klipsch fuels my insanity Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears