Three channel stereo

Parrot

I got this 10-inch record for free recently. It looks like it was given away

with the purchase of a Motorola stereo. The Motorola in question had three

separate channels of amplificiation: Two for mids and highs, and one for lows,

and three "multiple-speaker systems," as it says in the text.

post-7941-13819297845468_thumb.jpg

The Klipsch ad......When was the last time you dressed up to listen to 3 channel?

Good point. But at least I usually have some clothing on, which is more than I can say for certain people here (they know who they are).

I think the ad has a subtle jab of wry humor. Note there are three men and two females. Two of the men are flirting with the women, while the third "nerdy" audiophile is more interested in the center channel speaker.

Plus the nerdy audiophile has a cigar in his hand, and you know what Freud would say about that.

post-7941-13819297848188_thumb.jpg

Interesting observations. I might note that the, ahem, 'lady' on the left is not paying attention to the man seated next to her, but seems to be perusing our 'nerd's' cigar or Ban-Rol waistband. The man on the right leaning over his female companion is clearly reaching his right hand for a determined breast grab.

Could a sexual revolution be far off?

M

And three-channel stereo prevents tooth decay:

Yikes! What does that all that brick in the second ad do to sonic quality? Notice the ceiling height in each ad... Was PWK telling us something about recommended room dimensions [8-|]

• Moderators

The Klipsch ad......When was the last time you dressed up to listen to 3 channel?

Good point. But at least I usually have some clothing on, which is more than I can say for certain people here (they know who they are).

I think the ad has a subtle jab of wry humor. Note there are three men and two females. Two of the men are flirting with the women, while the third "nerdy" audiophile is more interested in the center channel speaker.

Plus the nerdy audiophile has a cigar in his hand, and you know what Freud would say about that.

Actually, it's a pipe, that's Hugh Hefner and he did not need to worry about where the next date was coming from.

Travis

Oh I forgot to ask. How does that 3 ch. album sound in 2 ch.? Do you feel something missing?

I think it's all there. It's a different kind of thing than Klipsch's center derived channel. Motorola's third channel was, it would seem, the bass. Kind of like the .1 channel in 5.1, although not that low.

The Motorola record has some fun gimmicky stereo demos, like a pingpong ball going from one side to the other and the narrator saying "left," "right," "left," "right," depending on where the ball sound is coming from.

Jonathan Winters, the old comedian, gives some silly interviews on the record, as different characters. An enjoyable novelty record.

The centre channel as depicted in the first pic looks like a Cornwall. The second pic could be a Heresy, though.

The methodology of extracting the three channels from a single pickup looks interesting. They used a decoder to extract the information. I guess the 3 channel information was buried in the signal extracted by the cartridge. So I wonder whether the 3 channels were truly discrete.