speaker wire size....

mcuevas

Hello all,

I have pieced my first ever HT system together as a result of this BB. I went from "Best Buy" and "Circuit City" HT packages to a Klipsch quintet surround, KSC-C1 front ctr, KSW-15, with a Yamaha RX-v1000 and Yamaha DVDC996.

Now, I have to connect everything together. I keep reading about speaker wire that I am not familiar with. For example, does speaker wire gage matter? I was told from an audio store employee (who I think knew what he was talking about) that 16 gage wire would allow my system to perform just as good as a larger gage wire. I am skepticle. I am routing speakerwire through my walls and ceiling, and only want to do it once. Oh, and how does bi-wiring benefit the system?

Oh, by the way. Do you guys think the 15" is too much. I got it for really cheap on ubid and I figure this saves me from upgrading in the near future.

Mike

cwm42.gif

Good choice,the KSW15 is not TOO MUCH.Its more then you may need but hey you have a gain on it!You just use the output you need that is all.

Better have more then not .

I would get 14 gauge wire,even UltraLink is inexpensive.Gauge 12 and 10 would be overkill.

Still why not 14,its inexpensive and well thicker then the 16.So why not?

16 starts to be on the thin side,then why not 18 and 20?Dont cut to much.

I will not say(claim) you will hear better overall sound(you may as you may not).Its mostly for looks.

I for example(yeah yeah I know I am a "snooty" audiophile freak)use Monster Cable M2.4B as my cheapest speaker wire(with Klipsch RF series).

TheEAR(s) Now theears

mcuevas, If you are running the speaker wires in the wall, you're supposed to us "in-wall" wire. It has special qualities (relating to fire codes, etc.) that make it appropriate. It's available everywhere speaker wire is sold (Best Buy, Good Guys, Home Depot), and even comes in 4-wire configurations (for bi-wiring...are Quintets bi-wirable?). Hope this helps.

fini

Mcuevas,

Listen to Fini's comment if you are going to run the wire in-wall and into the attic. I can't tell you how many times I've had to replace speaker wire in peoples attics because they didn't use in-wall (I believe cl-2 listed/rated) speaker wire. The insulation on the wires not in-wall rated tends to melt and if your attic has fiberglass insulation it will eat through the insulation of the speaker wire. Be especially careful of parrallel conductors as well as the will pick up electromagnetic interference if you run the wire parallel with your homes' electrical wiring. Try to use somthing that is uses twisted conductor pairs (or quads for bi-wiring) as twisted wire is a natural sheilding property.

------------------

LSU PAINTBALL- We'll cover you with our balls!

Paintball players do it 'till their balls break!

1 Pair KLF-30's

Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 Pre-amp

Carver TFM-45 Amp

Teac AD-4 CD Player

***Needed VPI HW Series Turntable*** Anybody Sellin'?

Hey all,

Thanks for the info. The speaker wire I purchased is rated for use in walls. In fact it is S16-2R-CL 16/2 monster cable. If I run these cables across my current electrical wiring in the attic, how do I protect the from interference with these particular cables? Or, are they insulated enough as is?

As far as klipschhog's comment on bi-wiring, I don't know if quintet's are capable of bi-wiring because I just don't what it is, how you do it, what the benefits are to doing it, etc...

Mikecwm28.gif

moster cable is pretty well insulated. i would not worry too much about any interference unless you are running them along a 240 electrical line! Smile.gif

i got 12 guage, what an overkill as theears said... really a waste especially when i adapted it to work on my v2.400's!LoL!

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional help you want email Amy or call her toll free @ 1-888-554-5665

I'm not sure how much interference you will actually hear for what ever length you are running next to your house wires, but what I do know is that any interference you get is going to be caused by the magnetic field that is rising and colapsing around the power wires as a result of AC current.

The amount of insulation is irelevant. It is the shielding of a wire that protects against inductive interference.

As mentioned before twisted pair wire also protects from interference. This is because both wires are equally affected by the interference thus canceling each other.

Again, I do not know if any of this interference will actually be heard in your system but if you are concerned then just keep your speaker wires a little ways away from your house wires. I mean don't set your speaker wires on top of the house wires so that they are touching. 6-12 inches will be fine. Also run them perpendicular to the house wires when you need to cross them.

About High-End cables and bi-wiring speakers.

This should only be worthwile on very high class speakers used with a revealing amps,preamps and high quality DACs.(like mine Smile.gif )

Most bi-wire and buy fancy to make the system look better.Exotic cables should be the last thing you add to your system.If the system is complete and you have some spare change in your pockets burning a hole then go and get the fancy wires.

Most of the time wires are not as important as some mags make you belive.Only very revealing systems will take full advantage of these.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I just got some 14 guage twisted in-wall wire from Home Depot for my outdoor speakers. It was $.22 per foot. It is insulated and is in a twisted config to help keep noise at a minimum. I have 14 guage insulated wire in my garage / workshop that I used for a set of horn loaded speakers I built. That wire is from www.partsexpress.com and is rather reasonable, about the same as the HD above. I have been dealing with them for awhile and have been pleased with their service. Just my two cents.