Speakers disappeared again...

Marvel

Since I have never bothered to set up a PayPal account, I had my son order some autoformers from BEC so I can get my new crossovers built for my LS. I decided to go ahead and get a pair of Bob's CT125 tweeters as well. They came late this evening, as I was fixing supper, and I figured I would just do them tomorrow. I had music on while I was eating, and decided afterwards that I would go ahead and swap them out. (Fools rush in...)

I powered the system down, tipped the big guys over on their fronts and had them changed in only ten minutes.

Powered back up. Dang! They disappeared again. All the usual comments folks have made about them. More detail, crisper high end, clean... yada yada...

Thanks Bob. They are well worth the expense, and a small expense at that. Now I just need to get the rest of the parts for the crossovers.

Bruce

Since I have never bothered to set up a PayPal account, I had my son order some autoformers from BEC so I can get my new crossovers built for my LS. I decided to go ahead and get a pair of Bob's CT125 tweeters as well. They came late this evening, as I was fixing supper, and I figured I would just do them tomorrow. I had music on while I was eating, and decided afterwards that I would go ahead and swap them out. (Fools rush in...)

I powered the system down, tipped the big guys over on their fronts and had them changed in only ten minutes.

Powered back up. Dang! They disappeared again. All the usual comments folks have made about them. More detail, crisper high end, clean... yada yada...

Thanks Bob. They are well worth the expense, and a small expense at that. Now I just need to get the rest of the parts for the crossovers.

Bruce

Bruce,

What kind of K77 did you replace? The reason I ask, is that there are some guys that (I usely agree with) don't like them and some that don't think they make much difference.

Just wondering if perhaps there is a wide range of performance in the K77. ?? Maybe the '75 round mags that I replaced were not as good as some. Could be the reason the CT125's sound so much better to me. ??

Terry

Bruce,

These are the second set of Bob's tweeters installed in those LaScalas. They really did make a nice improvement when I still owned them. Now with them transferred over to my Klipschorns, they once again out perform the K77's.

They are the square mud magent K-77M. The difference was obvious from the first ten seconds of music played.

I noticed a difference when I put in the set of ALK crossovers on loan from John Albright, and decided that I would go ahead and replace the tweeters while I was building my own set of crossovers. The ALKs I have are not the ESN model. The ones I am building are a newer version of the DHAs, designed by John Albright.

My son, Invidiosulus, says they now sound like his Heresys (with Bob's tweeters installed). I don't know if I quite agree with that, but it is a definite improvement to me. The imaging seems to be much improved, too.

I think that is typically used to describe an amp, that is imparting no sound characteristic of its own. I believe you would want a neutral/uncolored speaker as possible, yet that is still very musical, I think for the most part the speaker, assuming it meets minimum quality/sound requirements is really more a personal choice (like your favorite color) since it has so much impact on the sound. Usually we don't listen to music on the studio monitors the recording engineers do the mix on because IMO they don't sound as musical as say my RF-7s, so in some way my speakers must be influencing the sound. Anyway just my two cents, which really converts to .000026 cents on the real market.