Did Ok today

joshnich

Josh,

I'd call those components early to mid 60's. Yeah, it does seem the cabinet is "newer." I've searched, but cannot find too much info on Barzilay.

pauln,

When I was a kid, one of the first records I got was Fiedler & the Pops playing "The Grand Canyon Suite." I loved "ON The Trail"...

You know, I have something else that might be of interest to someone out there. It's a boxed set of 6 records by Burl Ives. Burl spend time riding the rails around America hob nobbing with the local folks around the country learning folksongs. This box includes a hardbound book of 150 pages with the words of all the songs on the records, and other information. Of these 6 records, only the first has been opened - each record has a paper sleeve that is enclosed in plastic, and five of these records are still sealed never played (never even opened or exposed to the world!). Its Burl playing the guitar and singing the songs, and a little commentary by him throughout. When I was very young (2-3 years old) I used to hear Burl Ives sing on some records my mother would put on - mostly childrens' nursery rhymes and such - he has a very nice and distinctive voice. This box set is called America's Musical Heritage 114 Best Loved Songs and Ballads.

Record 1 - Tales For Singing / Our English Inheritance

Record 2 - New Ballads / Reporting the American Revolution & The War of 1812

Record 3 - Traveling Songs / Sailing Free & Adventuring West

Record 4 - Heart Songs / American Folk Creations

Record 5 - Popular Songs / Music Hall & Battlefield 1800-1865

Record 6 - The Big Country / Cowboys, Indians, Badmen & Settlers

What is really amazing is the Ms Nichol thought it might look good in the family room! A nice retro piece. It is heavy!

Josh

This is a BEAUTIFUL piece of equipment and furniture.

I would make an effort to keep that setup together - at least the cabinet, 500C, and speakers. Given the condition of the cabinet, I wouldn't want to part it out. It's good to hear that your wife approves.....recap/update the Fisher and speaker networks, and you'll have a very good sounding alternate system. JBL - YUM[:)] Those speakers might not be JBL's best, but you'll still enjoy them....and it's a very attractive addition to the home. My wife would certainly approve[:)]

I bumped into a similar condition identical setup in the Chicago suburbs a couple of years ago - seller wanted $1000. I passed, and later found out he sold it for his asking price next day. He told me that it was purchased as a system that was "built to order" from dealers - IOW, he was allowed to select the components. They were sold this way as a kit from dealers.

See also the fretwork on some of the JBL C50 and C60 cabinets (Olympus/Sovereign) and you'll see striking similarities in woodworking and appearance. Late 1960's/early 1970's sounds about right.

At $40, you STOLE this.

I got the unit into the family room and connected a CD player. The Fisher was playing when I stumbled upon the unit so I didnt bring it up on the variac. Anyway the Fisher started out sounding good but one of the channels started cutting in and out. I ended up taking the 500 out and replacing it with my Fisher 400 which has the exact chassis that the 500 has. My 400 is perfect in every way. It was rebuilt by Paul at Bizzy Bee back when he did that kind of work. I wanted to futz with the 500 and removing it from the cabinet makes that easier. BTW all the tubes are original. All telefunken branded fisher small tubes and original westinghouse 7591 power tubes. The chassis is also in like new condition.

After installing the 400 I spent most of Sunday, last night and earlier tonight listening to a variety music. I am very impressed. The JBLs sing. Last time I spent anytime with JBLs was with a pait of L100s driven by a Marantz 2235 and that was over 30 years ago!

Have to say I am really taken a back by the high end. Its alive. The bass is also pretty dramatic. Cant match the mid range of the heritage Klipsch but a very good showing.

David - I am not going to part this out. In fact I am going to replace the Sony reel to reel with a Tandberg 64 (tube) reel to reel and the Garrard with a Thorend TD 125 . It will live long and prosper in my family room!

Josh

I had those EXACT JBL components in C36 cabinets. Man, they sang... I have regretted selling them ever since. In fact, I just picked up a pair of Fostex T945N bullet tweeters, a copy of the JBL 075 ring radiator. Hope they sound as good as the originals! Great score, by the way. A friend just went to an estate sale and asked if there was any olf HiFi gear or records. They directed him to the basement where there had been 3000+ LPs stored on racks, but they had fallen over onto the floor and subsequently got wet. Next to those were a rusted and rotted (also from water) pair of Quad ESLs. [:o] Sad...