Center Channel Matching with my Fortes

Xraygav

Hi there....

I was hoping someone here could point me in the direction of a center channell that would best compliment my Forte's. I've heard mention of the "Academies", but they seem too difficult to come by. Any of the newer models work well? Cheaper is better, but i'll pay more for a better "fit".

Spac eis a real issue, i'm looking for a small speaker, not finding another freestanding speaker, just something I can place in the cabinet.

Is the KV-3 a decent match?

I'll be penned up in an apartment for some time, so I wont be able to enjoy the big base. Will the Forte's passive woofers be servicable, or should I really go buy a small woofer?

Advice for rear speakers is also appreciated....

Thanks!

• Moderators

The best center would be another Forte, after that Academy. I don't know of others but someone will join in with some more answers. I don't think any of the new or ref would match at all.

Do you have room for another Forte as a center , im asking because 2 more Fortes would cost about the same as as an Academy.

There is one other that is not far off from a perfect match but i can't recall the name but i think Colterphoto has one in use

Although Colter has Almost any Klipsch or has heard them,he may jump in hear and give some advice.

Glad you came to this forum, People hear can answer just about any question you could think of, and it don't have to be about Klipsch they have tried about anything out there.

Welcome to the forum. That would be a KLF C7. I agree with DTEL a Forte is optimal but if space is a restriction then I would stay away from the new stuff timbre mismatch is very noticeable. Same goes for the KG and KV stuff. If you bent on getting newer stuff get the entire rig.

Aloha!

I am using a Heresy 2, and it does quite well. However, I am looking for an original forte to have a perfect match. If you find a nice pair and want to split them, let me know. I have been looking with popbumper to split a pair as well. Still hoping to find a good set cheap.

By the way, a nice academy just sold on ebay this week for $350 I think. I just sold mine here on the forum for $400 last week. They are around at decent prices if you keep looking.

Good luck.

Thanks guys...

I've had no luck finding the Academy or KLF-C7 anywhere, but i'll keep looking. I've found some reasonable (I think) prices on Forte's, but I really won't be able to find room for it? (unless I can safely balance a 50" plasma on a stand on it.)

Would the Heresy work out well?

My Forte's have been in a box for a long time..will they pack enough base, or will I need to buy a sub?

Has anyone tried the "virtual" center channell? I've heard that it's a possiblilty, but know nothing of it.

Thanks...

I have been using a modified KG 5.5 for about 6 years. I believe that it works very well with Forte II's. For music I find the Forte's have enough bass. I use a KSW12 for movies. The KG 5.5 center is very large and mine mounts on a shelf over my 55" tv.

Thanks guys...

I've had no luck finding the Academy or KLF-C7 anywhere, but i'll keep looking.  I've found some reasonable (I think) prices on Forte's, but I really won't be able to find room for it?  (unless I can safely balance a 50" plasma on a stand on it.) 

Would the Heresy work out well?

My Forte's have been in a box for a long time..will they pack enough base, or will I need to buy a sub?

Has anyone tried the "virtual" center channell?  I've heard that it's a possiblilty,  but know nothing of it.

Thanks...

My wife and I both liked the Heresy 2 with the Fortes better then the Academy. The only reason I am going for another Forte is that I have a PJ and the Speaker will fit perfectly under my picture.

I tried using the phantom center and it worked quite well, although you lose that "anchoring effect" that you get with a real center channel.

For music, I usually set my Fortes to large and I get plenty of bass. For movies, you will definitely want a good sub to fill in the low end. I use a Mirage BPS 400. My brother uses both an HSU and an Adire Audio--both are great. SVS is another very good sub maker.

You do have original Fortes and not Forte 2s right?

What prices have you found for Fortes?

Jeff

KLF-C7 works for me. Seem to be easy to find. Although I believe Colter has modified his somewhat.

I do have the KLF-C7 with PopBumper's KStack crossover. It works well with my all CW or LS/CW systems. Better matchup than the RC7 by far. I like it. That's it in the photo with my empty box for making a custom CW center channel underneath.

I've actually never even been in the same room with a Forte or an Academy though. My Klipsch experience isn't as deep as is commonly thought.

I tried a Heresy with my Cornwalls- Hated it- imaging felt weird and the box was entirely the wrong shape, plus it was not shielded.

Michael

I'm very happy w/ 4 Fortes, an Academy, and a big SVS sub in a 14' x 15' room.

I watched e-bay for a few months, and lost a few auctions to get my Academy - but if you want something smaller than a forte, it is the only way to go.

if you can fit a forte on its' side - here is a pair

check e-bay - http://cgi.ebay.com/KLIPSCH-FORTE-ORIGINAL-SPEAKERS-NICE-AND-CLEAN_W0QQitemZ110000026489QQcategoryZ61378QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

you'll want a sub eventually for low bass effects - while fortes can dig down to ~32 hz, my SVS gets below 20 - makes movies more of a sensory/tactile experience.

I do have the KLF-C7 with PopBumper's KStack crossover. It works well with my all CW or LS/CW systems. Better matchup than the RC7 by far. I like it. That's it in the photo with my empty box for making a custom CW center channel underneath.

Michael,

Can you provide information on PopBumper's KStack crossover. Never heard of it. How does it help?

I wouldn't put a Klipsch exponential horn on its side. Too small of sweet spot, too much reflection off floor or ceiling for good dialog channel.

M

For the past year and a half, I used a Quartet laid horizontally as center for my Forte IIs, and it worked extremely well. Of course it has the tractrix horn, which is not as narrow as the exponential horn (when turned on their sides), so that may have allowed good dispersion. My room is about 17 x 24, and my listening position is about 11 feet from the center speaker. Using the same tweeter and midrange, the Quartet is an exact timbre match for its larger sibling, the Forte II (but uses different midrange than Forte I). After removing the 2" base, and laying it horizontally, it is quite the attractive yet muscular center speaker, at about 50 lbs. Quartets are much more common on Ebay than Academys, and a pair of Q's goes for much less than a single Academy typically does (although I had to snag a recent walnut Academy just to see how "perfect" it is as a Forte center; so far, I can't tell a substantial difference from the Q, which, of course, should also be a "perfect" match). If you have the room, and have a way to position a 50-lb speaker above or below your TV, then the Q is an often-unrecognized but extremely appropriate center for Fortes.

Hi Ron:

THe K-stack crossover is a replacement crossover built on custom PCB's, utilizing compnents of the same values as the original networks, but of far better quality (Kimber/solen caps, Mills resistors, Bob Crites' Autoformer, Jantzen and Madisound inductors). These crossovers address the shortcomings of the factory networks, providing a much cleaner, realistic sound than the original. Hearing is believing!

If you are interested, seeing you are in Dallas (I am in Richardson), I invite you for a visit to listen to my meager (though Klipsch powered) Home theater, with four Forte's, Academy, KG2 rears, and SVS sub. My front speakers all have crossover upgrades, so you can hear these "as modified".

Any additional info, or interest in a visit, please contact me at your leisure; I'll be glad to help you any way I can. Write me and I can send photos of assembled networks if you wish.

Chris

Ah, there he is- Hi Chris.

The Kstack crossover just makes my KLF-C7's rock. Crystal clear, very good imaging and detail. Hard to describe the change, they were my first network upgrades in my system.

re the horn thing, yes the tractrix horns suffer less from the 90 degree rotation than exponentials imho.

M

Hi Ron:

THe K-stack crossover is a replacement crossover built on custom PCB's, utilizing compnents of the same values as the original networks, but of far better quality (Kimber/solen caps, Mills resistors, Bob Crites' Autoformer, Jantzen and Madisound inductors). These crossovers address the shortcomings of the factory networks, providing a much cleaner, realistic sound than the original. Hearing is believing!

Ron,

I can testify as to the significant improvement to the sound of my Academy with its K-stack. Very easy install and your original network remains in place in order to keep everything original if you would ever want to return to stock. I recommend it highly, and Chris is very easy to work with.

- Jim

Hi guys:

Stick my head in whenever I get a chance, which isn't often. Appreciate the input, doing the networks has been fun for me, now I am stretching myself thin building cabinets - a Cornscala cabinet set is on the horizon for Bob Crites. Michael - I finally got my Cornwall cabinet swap done, and added replacement crossovers a la Dean's design. Nice speakers, but not the "kind of sound" I care for. Will probably end up with a set of Cornscalas myself. It's all madness!!

Chris

Yep!

Thanks for the heads-up! I'm not sure if it's worth what I paid for it ($450 with shipping) , but a bit of "peace of mind" came in the deal. (not to mention a lot of free time now, not combing the net for one to pop up).

I'll have to look up this "K-stack" business... if it makes a huge difference. Can someone with 10 thumbs on two left hands add one themselves?

Now, what SMALL speaker can be used for rears? I'd like to mount something on stands, I think.

Anyone tell me how big a difference between a Denon 3805 vs Pioneer 1015? (is that the one that's so good for the buck?) I see the 3805 for $699, and I loved it. I hope to add it to a Panny 42" or 50" plasma.

A reasonable dvd? How is the Oppo?

Thanks again..

Gavin