adapter for K-55-M driver to AL 511B horn lens?

Colin

aargh! I just looked at the round adapters I have had for 2 years - they have three mounting screw holes to fit the Klipsch K-55-M driver to the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />AL 511B horn lens, but the lens actually has only two!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Does anybody know off the top of their head which adapter I need (can't seem to find it in search or my notes)?

The SELENIUM ADF25-35 ADAPTOR 1" DRIVER TO 1.4" HORN adapter from Parts Express is less than ideal: it needs drilling and does not fit exactly tight.

There are markings for new holes on these, besides drilling them (if I had a drill, where the hell did I leave my drill in these last 4 moves?) doesn't look like the connection would be as strong, plus they do not line up exactly right away, damn.

These adapters have a female screw mount for the driver, and a gasket on the lens side to fit them snugly onto the lens. Will see if the local Pro shop will trade them for the required ones or order a new pair from Parts Express

thanks!

aargh! I just looked at the round adapters I have had for 2 years - they have three mounting screw holes to fit the Klipsch K-55-M driver to the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />AL 511B horn lens, but the lens actually has only two!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Does anybody know off the top of their head which adapter I need (can't seem to find it in search or my notes)?

The SELENIUM ADF25-35 ADAPTOR 1" DRIVER TO 1.4" HORN adapter from Parts Express is less than ideal: it needs drilling and does not fit exactly tight.

There are markings for new holes on these, besides drilling them (if I had a drill, where the hell did I leave my drill in these last 4 moves?) doesn't look like the connection would be as strong, plus they do not line up exactly right away, damn.

These adapters have a female screw mount for the driver, and a gasket on the lens side to fit them snugly onto the lens. Will see if the local Pro shop will trade them for the required ones or order a new pair from Parts Express

thanks!

Colin,

You need the ADF25-25. It has 3 holes that you cannot use. There are 6 small circles on the middle of each "pie" section on the plastic. Just take a drill with a small bit to make a pilot hole in the middle of two apposing circles, then use a 1/4" bit (I think) to drill them out. They line up perfectly with the holes on the 511B horns.

See image below...

Posted Image

the drilling approach will work...but if you want to know of any stock adapters that will work...I'll check a pair of ev adapters I have to see what the model number is....the ev adapters have multiple sets of holes for both 2 and 3 pattern mounting. the adapters I have are not for sale but it would answer your intial question if you wanted to go OEM.

Ohh, I see chops, you are saying to ignore the three existing holes with their reinforcement collars and use the 6 small circle dimples as marks for two new holes, makes sense, need to borrow a drill...

Ohh, I see chops, you are saying to ignore the three existing holes with their reinforcement collars and use the 6 small circle dimples as marks for two new holes, makes sense, need to borrow a drill...

Yep, that's the ticket! Now only if we lived a little closer, I'd let you borrow my drill. [;)]

BTW, these seem to have more than enough support for the K-55 drivers. Just make sure you don't torque the bolts down so tight that the foam gasket on the adapter compresses and causes the adapter to bow inward.

All 3 of mine sit nice and snug on the 511s' surface all the way around.

I made the necessary holes in my adapters (bought a nice drill press on stand for $75), used 1/4" bolts with washers to bring the two halves together, seems to either not be a securely tight fit or if I tighten things down, the adapter plate becomes a bit distorted.

Are you guys seeing that?

Michael

seems to either not be a securely tight fit or if I tighten things down, the adapter plate becomes a bit distorted.

Are you guys seeing that?

Michael

Which is precisely why I just got done saying that you cannot torque them down to the horn real tight, or else.

You only have to have them tight enough to make a complete seal around the throat opening and to compress the foam gasket just a bit. It's not like you're strapping on a 20lb driver or anything.

Oh, I get it, read the ENTIRE post next time... DOOOHHHHH[8-)]

I'll back off half a turn or so. I was trying to compress that thin foam gasket. Ain't gonna happen.

Thanks Chops. btw, nice job on your experimentation. Wish I had the space to get started on my projects. Just staked out the yard for a three bay workshop/storage facility.

Michael

I decided to drill the 511B to match the adapter in order to take advantage of the strength of reinforcement around the adapter holes.

My 511's are pristine, so I didn't want to modify the horns. Like I'm ever gonna resell anything? But you are right, there are strengthing ribs around the 3 holes in the adapter plate.

I dunno, I guess the sound waves can find their way out either way.

I have done two sets of Altec horns with the way Seadog described. Very sturdy installation.

If you are worried about those tiny metal shavings remaining inside your new aluminum holes, just drink some Sam Adams Cream Stouts and stick your tongue in there.

I have done two sets of Altec horns with the way Seadog described. Very sturdy installation.

If you are worried about those tiny metal shavings remaining inside your new aluminum holes, just drink some Sam Adams Cream Stouts and stick your tongue in there.

Might work with a better (not bitter) beer! [;)] I drilled pilot holes so maybe there was twice as many shavings. Or, could it have been the masonry bits and hammer-drill? All I remember is that aluminum was eveywhere!

Terry

I really didn't find the shavings to be a big deal.

Michael C. You know, I remember the past thread you had in which the "Voice of the Corn" was created. I don't think I ever heard your take on the sound of the 511. Did you ever hook it up?

I am a big Klipsch fan but you might even be a bigger one... I know its tough to sing praise to an Altec Horn.. Would love to know your thoughts.

jc

I just hooked one up to an EV driver in the garage one day. Guess it's about time to bring em in and set em up properly. I've got the adapters and extra K55's. Will there be a tremendous diff between K55M (as is in my LSBR's now) and my spare K55V's (that I have lying about loose? I guess I'd better keep em both 'M's for the sake of listening test of the horn itself.

M

I really didn't find the shavings to be a big deal.

Michael C. You know, I remember the past thread you had in which the "Voice of the Corn" was created. I don't think I ever heard your take on the sound of the 511. Did you ever hook it up?

I am a big Klipsch fan but you might even be a bigger one... I know its tough to sing praise to an Altec Horn.. Would love to know your thoughts.

jc

...........Michael C. You know, I remember the past thread you had in which the "Voice of the Corn" was created...........

Ahhummmmm,

Girls,

The ALCORN was created about 4 years ago by John Ellis of Boulder CO. I tutored him in CW bass bin construction, and later, the student became the teacher.

If there is credit to be given, if a name tag needs to be hung, lets give credit to the right person, with the correct name tag, and with due respect. I was not the first, maybe the second.

John was running multi CW bins with 511's, 902's, JBL baby-cheeks, and dual JBL 18" subs (in two channel) before most of us new DIY guys could spell Crown M600, Conrad Johnson tubes, or tri-amp.

A Cornwall bin with a 511b is an ALCORN , not Voice of the Scala, not cornscala 1,2,or 3, not AlK401scala or corn-alphabet. Lets give the man his due.

Regards,

Terry

I'll gladly give anyone credit. It sure wasn't me and I don't think I ever claimed it. We were just passing around fun names for various combinations. For the record, I've never even sat a 511 on top of a CW bin.

Mostly I just buy stuff and it sits around here. It doesn't make me happy, it just takes up money, space and time. Someone is gonna have a hell of a mess to clean up when I'm gone.

M