What's the diff?

Meatball

Hey guys...can you please explain the difference between front firing, down firing and rear firing subs. I have a 19'x20' room with wall to wall carpet and I'm looking for a sub for mostly movies & some music (about 80%-20%) I want a sub that will consistantly do its job, but I don't want to take out a second mortgage either. I guess my budget is aproximately $500-$750. It's the last piece of my HT puzzle, so I'm anxious to decide. I'll listen to all suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Meatball

Mitsubishi 52" DLP 1080P, Onkyo TX-SR803, Klipsch RB-35's, Klipsch RC-35, Klipsch CDT-5800's, & sub TBD

Different manufacturers point the sub in different directions. Some manufacturers, including Klipsch, even make multiple subs pointing in different directions. They are usually front or down firing.

The key point to understand is that bass frequencies have a very wide dispersion, unlike high frequencies which are narrower as the frequency increases. Therefore, a single sub can disperse the sound of bass throughout the room, as it isn't very directional anyway.

Don't worry about how it fires, but do worry about the quality of the sound and it's "fit" into the rest of your system. There are many good brands out there. I bought the Synergy KSW-12 to match my Synergy F3 system and this thing rocks! It's in your price range. There are a number of other popular brands out there, read some of the forums, and you'll read good things about SVS too.

Since you got the reference series already, why not give the RSW-12 or 15 a try. That'll set you up for other upgrades to your mains and surrounds further down the line.

I'm great at spending other people's money! (second time I did it today, ..I got the other guy a great upgrade on a motorcycle!)

Thanks Steve for your reply. You ARE good at spending other peoples' money. Aren't we all? The RSW-12 & 15 is out of my range this go-round. I have heard a lot of good things about the SVS line. So I shouldn't be concerned about the firing direction of a sub? Does carpeting play a part in the low frequency sounds? What's the most important spec, if there is one, on a sub?

I guess my budget is aproximately

$500-$750. It's the last piece of my HT puzzle, so I'm anxious to

decide. I'll listen to all suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Meatball

Mitsubishi 52" DLP 1080P, Onkyo TX-SR803, Klipsch RB-35's, Klipsch RC-35, Klipsch CDT-5800's, & sub TBD

The

SVS PB12-NSD/V sells for $699, and it's in a different league compared

to the Klipsch subs in the same price range. Dont get me wrong

because I love klipsch and own their speakers, but their subs cant hang

with SVS selling at a similiar price point.

for the setup you have the rw-12 is the one that is suggested by klipsch (not the rsw-12) and that one is in your price range. As far as SVS I have heard lots of good things from people about them. But i don't know much about either brand of subs as far as personal experience.

$500-$750,plenty of good possible choices.

HSU STF3

HSU VTF3

SVS ISD subs be it tube or box subs using a single woofer

Klipsch Sub12 or two if you find a great deal

Front,down or rear firing subs.All will perform about the same when cut low,take a front firing if you want to integrate in a project.Down firing if it will be used as some type of table like furniture.

Thanks guys for your knowledgable responses. I'll look closley at your suggestions.

To: TheEar...what do you mean when you say "take a front firing if you want to integrate in a project"

Is there a most important spec to look at when choosing a sub?

Thanks again for all you help. I love this place!

I think TheEar was maybe pointing out that you'll get more direct bass sound to the room from a front firing but that a down firing may work better as a piece of furniture.

Either way, what is important is that you get the placement right for your room, and the levels set correctly to blend in with the rest of your system. Ideally you'd like a seamless integration of your sub with your mains, so that there is no noticeable switch between the mains and the sub. Set the crossover high enough so that the sub starts working before the mains start rolling off would be my suggestion. Experiment with the crossover settings. It shouldn't be obvious that the base is coming from the sub, just that there is great bass from "the system".

Not sure if your receiver has a good room equalizer, or if you need to buy a sound level meter but you need to pay attention to this.

Thanks Steve_L for the info. It was very helpful. I will play close attention to the levels and the placement. I believe my receiver does have a good room equalizer...it has pretty much everything else. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to put it through its paces because I need to purchase a sub before the big install. What sub maker do you like?

oldbuckster...you bring up a good point. Does carpeting absorb much of the sound? What sub would you purchase today if you were in the market?Thanks for your comment.

I use a front firing JBL 12" I know it's not the best, but it will do for now,with H2's. I have carpet over cement floor, that's why I use front-fire. If I had to purchase a new sub today, Boy I'm not sure what I'd get, price would be a factor, as would size, and power. I would need to do more research, and ask questions myself.

I have a down firing KSW-12 Klipsch and it is excellent for both music (nice and tight and seamless with my F3s) and also for movies it really makes you feel like you are there.

I have a wall to wall carpeted floor and I don't think that makes much of a difference. Having the levels set right compensates for any sound absorbtion from the carpet. The down firing may in fact disperse the low bass better across a wider area, where the front firing may be slightly "localized" in a small room.

Again, the front vs down firing is probably not as important as overall quality and power of the sub. Go for a high quality sub, either Klipsch, or SVS work well and make sure you get the levels and crossover working well with the mains to create that seamless transition. Probably start out by setting your mains to Large, so that the receiver is sending all the lows to BOTH the mains and the sub. If the mains don't handle the lows too well, then set them to small. Experimentation is important here.

Whether front or downfiring doesnt really matter, but oldbucksters logic is

exactly backwards. The more bass absorption you have, the better

the bass response. Carpet has value because it absorbes

higher frequencies, but it does virtually nothing for the really deep

stuff. You'll need bass traps for that......

are you talking loud speakers or subwoofers. A down facing subwoofer and front facing are a bit different.

One big thing is that a down facing subwoofer over time will sag and move out of alingment. Some speakers due to the cone weight cannot be pointed down. PR cannot be pointed down either.

Also with the downfiring speakers causes a bit of nodes and nulls different to front facing. Also cancelation comes to play.

are you talking loud speakers or subwoofers. A down facing subwoofer and front facing are a bit different.

One big thing is that a down facing subwoofer over time will sag and move out of alingment. Some speakers due to the cone weight cannot be pointed down. PR cannot be pointed down either.

Also with the downfiring speakers causes a bit of nodes and nulls different to front facing. Also cancelation comes to play.

True if the magnet is heavy enough and the material not strong enough, the down firing will sag, that said in general sub woofers don't wear well as compared to speakers. Its like a very nice pair of cherry RF83s sitting in a dorm room with a jerky roommate.

meh I clicked this thread not realizing there was page 1 and i was on page two. Some woofers will not have the surrounds capable of a downfiring. But if it is premade not diy the company probably did its' homework as there can be up to I believe 10% sag which is tolerable.

One thing about downfiring subwoofers, most can be placed on its sides to do a real comparison. If it sounds better that way then umm place it as front firing but don't go buying a subwoofer based on that factor.

Bah JacksonBart!!!!! I have a single room next semester!

meh I clicked this thread not realizing there was page 1 and i was on page two. Some woofers will not have the surrounds capable of a downfiring. But if it is premade not diy the company probably did its' homework as there can be up to I believe 10% sag which is tolerable.

One thing about downfiring subwoofers, most can be placed on its sides to do a real comparison. If it sounds better that way then umm place it as front firing but don't go buying a subwoofer based on that factor.

Bah JacksonBart!!!!! I have a single room next semester!

I think Jacksonbart just called you Fat!