The in's and out's of a week with SACD

maxg

quote:

Originally posted by mobile homeless:

Perhaps you should think about the task of the engineer to remix these original recordings to fit the multichannel experience and the great ease for the original performance, one that was mixed for two channel, to come out corrupted and more a sonic andrenochrome, auio pill poppers delight, guaranteed to thrill the senses but about as far from the integrity of the original source as a trip to Disney World is to a visit to the streets of Italy.

kh

Ahh you bring up an excellent point which I have been trying to get across to people who debate as to which format is better (DD vs DTS or DVD-A vs SACD etc..). That point is that the recording engineer has much more to do with the process and the final sound than the format itself.

Case in point I am sure that we all have recordings of bands that we like that sound horrible on our systems. It that because the band stinks? Is it because CD's stink? Is it because multi-channel stinks? I would argue that the answer to all of the above would be no. A good recording engineer, given the proper source material, should be able to make an excellent mono, stereo, or multi-channel mix on vinyl, cd, DVD-A etc.. Sure the approach and levels and eq's will need to be different but the engineer should be able to adjust for that and make whichever format sound as good as possible.

In my opinion until we are able to get a recording mix by the same engineer released on all formats it will be hard to draw any definite conclusions.

Laters,cwm9.gif

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

mobile,

It seems your sense of humor is starting to go sour. That was intended to be a joke and to lighten up the thread just a little bit. I have however been to Europe, and lived in Germany for 4 years during a stint in the Air Force (I also lived in London for 3 years when I was younger as my mom is from there). I traveled everywhere as I was on the base volleyball and bowling teams, but preferred Denmark to Italy because the air was cleaner and the girls were nicer (if you know what I mean). But I have to be honest with you, I still prefer the good ole USA...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 12-17-2001 at 12:39 PM

What? I thought my post was rather humourous! Heh...who said I was talking about you; I was referring to a good portion of our lovely country and the contents within, many who equate Disney World with the best we have to offer.

No need to get all fired up as if I was accusing you or preferring Epcot to Paris.

kh

ps But you have to admit, most people in the service dont really SEE the countries anyway.... You have to go there and wander...preferably without fatigues.

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 12-17-2001 at 01:03 PM

Most folks that are complete insane audio purists,

usually complain that there is too many Operational

amplifiers in a mixing board anyway.

But some recordings are way too overprocessed,

recorded too loud, or badly engineered.

(This is another topic that depends on one's

musical taste also.)

I like the heavy music, old or new, so it's easy

to run into those anomolies as mentioned above.

A Jazz fan usually has excellent recordings(Mostly)to chose from, its kinda a part of the music, I guess.

Can anyone refer me to some John Coltrane recordings

that would sort of generalize his career?

If thats possible.

I limited to Digital exile, so it would have to

be in CD form.

I need to get a better TT dammit!

THANX!

cwm32.gif

I now have several hours on my Sony c222es SACD player. I have played both SACDs and CDs on this player. The player's sound is immensely satisfying. The highs and bass are incrediable. Music instruments are well defined. Most of my listening has been classical. Although I have played some pop. The voices are very natural. The overall sound is just clean. This is my first standalone CD player -- my only references is a Pioneer LD player and a Denon DVD. I did not know that there was such a difference between a combo player and a standalone. This player has made me a believer. I was recently told that I should buy the best CD player rather than spend a lot of money on a DVD player. I can see the reason for this now.

------------------

Bill J.

-----

Denon AVR 3300

Denon DVM 3800 DVD

Pioneer LD Elite CLD-53

Nakamichi Dragon Cassette

Scientific Atlantic Explorer 2100

RCA Home Theater Hi-Fi VCR

RCA 25" Colortrack 2000 (1974)

Rega Planar 3 Turntable -Elys cartridge

Panamax 1000+ Surge Protector/Line Conditioner