Some nice hi-tech tomfoolery....

maxg

If you are a digital music collector / lover then I suggest you check out the new version of Microsoft's media player (V.11) which is available as a beta download from microsoft FOC.

I just picked it up and have been playing with it for about an hour. Very easy to use - very cool interface and with a few extra features of which I have played with only one.

The extra feature I have tried is the synchronizing with my Windows media player on my phone. This knocks spots off the old version with goodies like:

1. 2 way copying - the old version only copied from the PC to the phone.

2. Full access to see what is already on the phone - much better and more detailed than before.

3. Ability to see how much space is on the phone before you start to synchronize.

4. Support for multiple devices.

Its all graphical and very pretty whilst taking a lot of the guesswork out of the process on the older version.

Of course this is Microsoft Beta version so I have already crashed it once - but at least with XP that doesn't mean re-booting my machine.

Max,

If I understand you correctly, this will record to/from phone? Is that normal wired phone or cell only? I have some saved phone messages that I've been saving on my electronic system at the phone company (not my tape, they do it digitally I guess), that I'd like to burn to computer or CD.

Or would anybody else have any idea how to transfer these messages from my phone to computer that doesn't involve a microphone and the cheap phone speaker? The messages are from a friend who passed away and I enjoy hearing their voice. It is the only recordings I have of them.

Thanks

Michael

Not exactly Michael.

My phone is a windows media phone - in other words a computer. It plays MP3 (plus variants), video files and all sorts of other things.

The phone has a storage card on it that holds 1 gig of music/videos/photos W.H.Y. - actually newer cards are now up to 4 gig I understand.

Basically I have my entire CD collection ripped to the hard disk of my computer and then make selections of that to copy to my phone to have music on the move. That used to be a fairly laborious process that this new version has massively simplified.

As for your messages on your phone - do you have a connection from phone to computer? If so I guess there is some kind of phone manager / explorer that would copy the sound files to your hard disk on your computer. Once that is done you need to establish what format these files are in and then find a program to convert them to WAV or something. Again this may be free software that came with the phone.

The easiest way is also low-tech. Get a phone pick up, which is just an inductor that attaches via suction cup to handset on the backshell of the earpiece. Plug into tape recorder. RS used to sell these.

If you can't find one, you can make an acceptable one by using small iron-core inductor and taping it to the backshell, then using patch cords to connect it to your tape inputs.A cassette recorder is probably best. Then you can pull it into iTunes or other digital ware and equalize and edit. This technique really works well with the old Ma Bell 500 series desk phones. How it would work with cordless or more modern phones, can't guess.

Thanks guys. Max, I use my iMac for digital jukebox in my home office, but no phone hooked up to it. That sounds cool Max, but is it very lo-fi sound, like those ipod thingies? At least the phone is rechargeable but what does it sound like? Maybe your European phones are way ahead of ours.

Boom, I know of that system but was hoping for a more hi-tech lo-noise solution. Thus far, I've kept those messages saved for over two years on the phone system by resaving each month. Thus far they've not degraded. Even with the transducer, I'd have to record to Cassette, as I don't know how to record directly to PC or Mac.

Any further thoughts?

"Thanks guys. Max, I use my iMac for digital jukebox in my home office, but no phone hooked up to it. That sounds cool Max, but is it very lo-fi sound, like those ipod thingies? At least the phone is rechargeable but what does it sound like? Maybe your European phones are way ahead of ours. "

Ah - the new media player is for windows only I think - so stick with whatever the iMac has - unless you are running one with Windows on it (I think that is possible - maybe not).

As for the quality of the device.....its....er.....very good for a portable device - compared to a transistor radio, an original Walkman (the one that played tapes), and just about as good as my old Sony CD Walkman (that was OK).

I have listened to iPods before. I reckon the quality is on a par - but I happen to think that those are actually rather better that most audiophiles care to admit - especially with replacement headphones.

Finally - yes - European phones are generally more advanced than US ones - although mine is available over there as the iJam somethingorother.

Macs are the way to go for audio video enthusiast.

I could imagine not have my 17in mac lapop.

The Washington Post is running a review of Microsoft's next version of Media Player, and its integration with MTV's new music service Urge. According to reviewer, Rob Pegoraro, 'Not only does this new, Windows XP-only software promote Urge to the exclusion of other retailers, you can't shop at this store-- or even just play your Urge downloads -- in any earlier version of Windows Media Player.' The Microsoft/Urge subscription model contains a new twist as well: 'Urge also lets you rent songs: $9.95 a month (or $99 a year) lets you download all the tracks you want to a computer, while $14.95 ($149 a year) lets you transfer those downloads to most newer Windows Media-compatible players. These rented songs can't be burned to CD and go silent if you stop paying the fees.'"

In the immortal words of PWK "Bull$hit"