Klipsch speakers and subs.

johnwolf

I am a klipsch lover but after researching a little bit I found there are some criticism about klipsch speakers and subs.

For subs, it is said klipsch ones are not as good as svs. The lows of svs can go below 20Hz while klipsch can do around 25Hz.

For speakers, it is said it is too harsh for the highs. It is usually great for movies but not very good for music.

Any body would like to share some ideas?

Welcome to the forum.

The issues you mention for comparison are highly subjective. There is

an honest difference of experience and opinion that folks have about

these things.

I'd hope you have the chance to do some listening with your own ears.

Sometimes the "difference" can be accounted for by the difference in

room acoustics alone. Sometimes the collection of gear in the signal

path has a synergistic effect that's good or bad.

I don't think I'd shortchange myself just because some persons like music dull and lifeless.Its true Klipsch aren't for everyone,but the ones that have em' almost always get hooked on the sound.I had an svs cylinder,good product,for movies,not in the same league as the rsw12/15 for music.

As to harsh,if you hook up a cheapo Onkyo avr to some upper Klipsch they might sound rough.Klipsch speakers need a good source/pre/amp or there will be complaints,but not Klipsch fault.They will reproduce just as good or bad as the signal they get.

I've owned Polks,Def Tech and many others,Klipsch rules in their price/performance,imo.

Klipsch not as good as SVS!

SVS subs have a flatter response,true. SVS will have high output below 20Hz,even 16Hz,true. Klipsch RSW subs will match better for music(less pipe organs),true.

Better depends on the room and your ears. As both are quality products,and the better can be debated.

Speakers harsh! They will reveal more and sometimes they will spit the garbage you feed them.I like to hear it like it is. And with quality amps you will not have harshness,all the plaintifs should try tubes and better solid state.

Ditto the recommendation to use your own ears.

And I would recommend researching the people whose claims you are

referencing...not only does everyone have different past experiences,

but they also have different musical tastes and preferences. I won't

say anyone is more right than anyone else, but I will say that it only

makes sense to search out those with similar tastes in music and heed

the more experienced opinions.

And don't forget the age old saying in the pro audio world "garbage in,

garbage out" - a good speaker will sound like crap if you feed it a

crap signal.

what the Ear said

I've heard both, with cones and with my horns, here is how they measure, look at the difference in the graphs:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_4/subwoofers-12-2001.html

from my sub review:

The 200-watt Klipsch KSW200 subwoofer peaks around 60Hz. According to its frequency response, the KSW should be the flatter, more natural sounding subwoofer with Khorns. Yet, the KSW always intrudes on the big ole horns, stepping on their toes, muddying the mid and upper bass. <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O />

The 500-watt Klipsch LF10 subwoofer peaks around 40Hz, low enough for many full-range loudspeakers, but not deep or adjustable enough to get out off the Khorn's way. It turns warm booms into tight thunks, also fills lower registers, yet is more accurate and precise doing it. It helps a little, but didn't make an incredible difference.

At the highest settings, the Titan is several times louder than the other two subwoofers throughout the 50 to 200Hz range. It is almost 2 to 3 times louder at 20 and 25Hz! Dialed to match the Khorn's effortless output level, it stands aside to let the big ole horns play their low notes, and picks up the slack below 80Hz. At its lowest EQ settings, the Titan clearly fills below 63Hz and down to 20Hz.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0405/acititan.htm

Tubes are not necessary to enjoy Klipsch speakers. Carefully picked and matched SS components sound wonderful with Klipsch. I tire of hearing the lame argument that only tubes do Klipsch speakers justice. That's just not true. The same applies to vinyl vs cds. Pick your electronics wisely and you'll love the sound.