Bozak's for Sale in DC

thebes

Many years ago, I saw the bigger brother (longer line of tweeters, I think) of those in a Goodwill store. Manager said they did not work. I could have had them for loose change, almost, just to get them out of the store. They were also those weird curtained cabinet things - very strange and very dated looking - definitely an attempt at WAF, curtains and all. Needless to say, I passed. If I had taken those home, I would probably have been sawed in half and buried in them. Okay, maybe that's not true. But to think that I could have flipped them for a few bills...

Go for it, thebes. Then shoot us a pic of the twins modeling by each of those babies. I will even help you load/unload them.

The Symphonies are my favorite Bozaks. I like them even better than the Concert Grands. Heck I grew up on a pair of Bozak B302A's. My brother is using them right now.

Bozak has a smooth, mellow accurate sound. Nice bass with no boom at all. Classical music is first rate with these speakers. They are also midrange foward reminescent of big Klipsch; so they do vocals well.

Rudy Bozak did a good job with this design.

Andy

I was referring to the Concert Grands. You recall those with the four twelves, two eights, and eight ribbon tweeters - that make K-horns look like medium-sized speakers. I had my shot locally at a pair a couple of years ago, but they were too big for my house. Ended up going to a good home though (another forum member in here). I have never had the pleasure of hearing Symphonies.

I've always like the Bozak sound though for a different change of pace, no matter the size and model of them.

Carl.

These look like a real nice pair of Symphonies, although the verbage leads me to believe they were home built and then badged. Still, I like the look, even though the lower woofs are about 30% occluded by the finial.

They would do well in the gothic German rathskeller, and you could scare the hexx outta your daughter's high school friends who are distinctly unimpressed with the old foggy's antique stereo system. I always loved listening to Led Zeppelin in high school days on a quad Concert Grand system with the HUUUUGE Pioneer quad receiver a friend had in the basement. You had to wade through the bass waves the 16 twelve inch woofers were laying down.

Bozak had a "building block"system, where you could start out with the big cabinet, one 12" woofer and two aluminum cone tweeters. Then, you could add a midrange, then another pair of tweeters, then another 12" woofer. This appears to be where these Bozaks' owner stopped. The final stage was four more tweeters. Really clever, actually, let you spread out the financial damage over a period of years.

A lot of people preferred the Symphonies to the Concert Grands. Supposedly imaged better and weren't quite so wooly in the bass. I know I liked mine - especially when driving them with a McIntosh 2300. They seemed to really open up with a lot of power behind them. (I know, the Stereophile guys like the big Bozaks with SETs and Eico HF-81s. I just don't see it.) Bozak himself recommended at least 60 watts per channel for the Grands, 30 for the Symphonies.

I just went back and looked at the 1968 Bozak catalog on HIFILIT.com. They show one of these coming with four tweeters as the B-4000 "Modern." So maybe it is stock. Most Symphonies I've seen are B-4005 and have 8 tweets.

The listing's comment about "construction approved by Bozak" would tend to support Dave's theory of them being at least kits.