I didn't know what to say!

dtel

I hate the whole situation with the African Diamond situation and the "Diamond War" and the I forgot the official name, but the illegal diamonds....... I rather have a superior synthetic diamond that is the same characteristically but has no baggage, like supporting a monopoly or feeding the warlords money for their weapons.

I know watches very well.... I know the complexity and the skill needed. I remember the complication watches are only know by 100 or so people in the world. The ones that do not need date adjustments and moon phases for like 100 years or so.....and cost an arm, leg, and first born (around 50000 dollars) You pay for the automatic design in most expensive watches as that is where most of the time is put. Also what is nice is the fact that the glass is a single crystal synthetic sapphire (hardness 9.1 and is also called corrundrum aka aluminum oxide which is also chemically similar to a ruby which I believe which color is determined by another doped chemical) but the synthetic sapphire is great for not scratching... My brother had a Omega Seamaster prior to (it was not an automatic hence he upgraded with the IWC) and one day he happened to get bumped into a building in NYC and he went shit when his watch smacked the brick building. All he did was brush the pieces of brick off and not one scratch. (The metal is a different story but luckily he hit all glass)

Also not to demean your Rolex, but my brother told me Rolexes are not as great as everyone says they are.... When everyone things expensive watches they think Rolex, but my brother said and I did some research of my own but, IWC, Roger DuBuis, Breitling, Girard- Perregaux, Vacheron Constantin, Franck Muller, Audemars Piguet, Patek Philippe, etc are equal to Rolex or better. I do like the Patek Philippe ultra thin watches myself but I do not have 13000 dollars to spend on a watch.

Also my remark with the watch and cellphone was the fact that my priorities are different to his. I buy things to enjoy myself, he buys things so others envy him. I tried to keep my speakers a secret at my college but its hard to roll down each box down to the last room in the dorm.... people ask questions when you move coffin sized boxes down the hallway.[:P] He wears his watch like a badge of honor, I have a watch that looks expensive but is a fossil [;)] that shape is more of a cartier tank design. People always second look my watch and think its atleast a thousand dollars, I paid 30 dollars and am fine with it. He has his priorities and I have my own. Also expensive small things like that is not a good idea in college..... hence my brother waited until after college too......

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dtel, your wife's a keeper for sure! Glad you got her that bigger diamond ring.[:)]

On the topic of watches, I still have my '98 Omega Seamaster chronometer (automatic) that takes a beating daily at the Guitar Center warehouse where I've worked the past 3 years. It too has been brushed up against numerous boxes and steel shelves. I do have a scrape along one side of the rotating bezel that took the blue paint off, along with numerous smudges and dings on the stainless steel bracelet. But that sapphire crystal is amazing...all the times I've accidently banged it up against the side of a steel shelf there isn't a single scratch on it!

I really shouldn't wear a $1750 Swiss watch in a warehouse, but I've had what I thought were rugged Timex and Casio diving watches for work that took less of a beating and didn't fare well at all, plus I'm too cheap and lazy to replace dead batteries. So I wear the Omega, and its proven itself time and time again just how resilient to shock and abuse it really is (and it still looks good)![O]

post-11084-13819300689558_thumb.jpg

I hate the whole situation with the African Diamond situation and the "Diamond War" and the I forgot the official name, but the illegal diamonds....... I rather have a superior synthetic diamond that is the same characteristically but has no baggage, like supporting a monopoly or feeding the warlords money for their weapons.

Also not to demean your Rolex, but my brother told me Rolexes are not as great as everyone says they are.... When everyone things expensive watches they think Rolex, but my brother said and I did some research of my own but, IWC, Roger DuBuis, Breitling, Girard- Perregaux, Vacheron Constantin, Franck Muller, Audemars Piguet, Patek Philippe, etc are equal to Rolex or better. I do like the Patek Philippe ultra thin watches myself but I do not have 13000 dollars to spend on a watch.

Through the Kimberley Process the diamond industry has taken huge leaps towards preventing diamonds from passing through undesired hands (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimberley_Process).

There are dozens of brands of watches that most people have never even heard of, let alone see or own in their lifetime. At the jewelry store where I work, Rolex is the top brand that we sell as far as price and quality. My favorite watch that I will probably never own is a Patek Philippe Calatrava. Why not? COST! That, and in Minnesota there is only 1 jeweler that carries Patek Philippe.

Rolex is in the top 5 of brand name recognition of any product in the world. That's the reason why most people think they're #1 in watches. You don't succeed in doing that by making mediocre timepieces! [O]

OK, I'm new to this speaker stuff, but what are Kornerhorns and will they make my butt vibrate any more than it already does when we watch a movie????? I think the neighbors a mile down the road don't appreciate when we watch action movies, as their butts are probably vibrating too!

I love your ring aunt c (dtel's wife), its very beautiful, fit for a queen of dtel's bs! He got that one right. But, I've never seen two people who can have all the fun you both do after 28 years of marriage. I'm so glad yall are finally stepping out with us and having a good time!

We have a french quarter trip coming up.

to dtel's niece, these are the famed Klipschorns

2.klipschorn_large.jpg

To Wuzzer, yeah the top 5 brands include Rolex, Bose, Mercedes Benz, and two others....

The Patek Philippe Calatrave is the one that I wanted, I believe it is 3-4 mm thick, but I want the automatic. Its about $11000 street....... Heh Wuzzer you should move out to NYC ever other corner of the jewelery district is an official dealer of every watch [:)]

"Rolex is in the top 5 of brand name recognition of any product in the

world. That's the reason why most people think they're #1 in watches. "

Why does replacing rolex and putting Bose work also.....

your last sentence "You don't succeed in doing that by making mediocre timepieces! Time [O]" that ummmm.... we can debate on [6] if we replaced the timepiece with bost stereo....

LOL

I guess "weird" is a bad choice of words. I just never understood the value others place on jewlery...to me, they are just pretty rocks and shiny metal, but I don't need to wear them on my fingers or around my neck, especially at those prices. I guess I like to spend my money on things I can actually use. I know I'm in the minority from listening to my friends/co-workers/relatives ooh and ahhh over the size and price of their adornments.

To each their own.

All a ring does is show others your married, I know I'm married, don't need a ring to remind me, my Heart knows. That's not to say you shouldn't wear a ring, a ring is also important to some people, and that's fine. Ring, No ring, the commitment is the same, Don't Cheat.

I must say, I agree. To an extent. If the person you love wants to buy you a boulder for your finger, go for it! Or, if you have a diamond flake, that's fine too. The increasing size of the diamond does not equate to a bigger or better love for one another.

But, in this case I know what the ring symbolizes. They have lived an awesome life full of unforgettable memories together, beautiful kids, and they feel blessed, this I know. However, having 3 kids one year apart, working extra hours, juggling bills, and going without to make sure the kids have what they need is something everyone does. They have never asked for much as parents, and have given all they have for family and kids. That ring is something they bought just for them, no longer having to stress about money or kids. It symbolizes the second phase of their marriage, love, life, and the pursuit of Bourbon Street!!!

I should be so lucky as to have half the marriage and life stories as they do when I start my married life this December. Which is why we wanted them to renew their vows, hoping some of their experience and bs-handling skills will be transferred via osmosis.

I must say, I agree. To an extent. If the person you love wants to buy you a boulder for your finger, go for it! Or, if you have a diamond flake, that's fine too. The increasing size of the diamond does not equate to a bigger or better love for one another.

But, in this case I know what the ring symbolizes. They have lived an awesome life full of unforgettable memories together, beautiful kids, and they feel blessed, this I know. However, having 3 kids one year apart, working extra hours, juggling bills, and going without to make sure the kids have what they need is something everyone does. They have never asked for much as parents, and have given all they have for family and kids. That ring is something they bought just for them, no longer having to stress about money or kids. It symbolizes the second phase of their marriage, love, life, and the pursuit of Bourbon Street!!!

I should be so lucky as to have half the marriage and life stories as they do when I start my married life this December. Which is why we wanted them to renew their vows, hoping some of their experience and bs-handling skills will be transferred via osmosis.

A Klipschorn for each hand, that's a generous man!!!!!!!!!

If a ring is important , bye all means, they should have one, no questions asked. They must do what's best for them, and makes them happy, time to pamper themselves.........

• Moderators

You sound a lot like dtels' daughter, who never knows even an approximate location of driver's license, keys, wallet, debit card.

Just wanted to say...that statement is so true.

With two pair of Forte II's and one pair of Forte I's, we thought the Khorns could wait just a short while longer.

I am glad we made that decision. According to Dr. Who's "Update from Hope" under Pilgramage, we may soon be able to purchase parts required to construct Jubilees. Dtel could build the cabinets (woodworking is one of his many talents).

This weekend we will have the opportunity (hopefully) to hear almost the entire line of Heritage speakers. Then, we can make a decision on Khorns or Jubilees.

One more thing, I would like to thank dtel for loving me unconditionally. I would also like to thank him for making it easy for me to love him and share my life with him for the last 28 years.

You sound a lot like dtels' daughter, who never knows even an approximate location of driver's license, keys, wallet, debit card.

heh I have a small opened box where I put my stuff like above in and know where it is when I leave due to the box hmmppppfffftttt!!! [:$]

..."so you have a box, she has a Whirlpool."

LOL, that's rich![;)]

Yeah, I also have this small handcarved wooden dish with a wooden lid (carved with little intricate designs) that I bought while stationed in Germany years ago just for holding coins, keys, etc. If I didn't keep important things in there, then I'd have no clue where my stuff would be (I'm scatterbrained like that at times).[:$]

What to say? I thing you guys have said it all.

WIth regard to the lost things, I employ a silver tray in the shelves right by the front door. Empty pocket upon entering the domicile, fill them upon leaving. Very simple.

And when I can make a pair of Jubilees my Khorns will be for sale, maybe.

Hubby & I decided to get married before the end of the year for tax purposes. We lived together for many years. Had a week to figure it out. I ran to Target and got silver bands just to have something. We still don't have proper rings and because they were cheap and uncomfy - we have both ditched them. Never did get rings. I never found anything interesting or unique enough. Even in a simple band. Someday I'll stumble across something. We prolly should get something cuz I still get hit on occasionally (miracle that it is).. I never changed my name either. Thought it was weird and didn't see the point. Course I really don't see the point of marriage either. Unless one has kids.

Been married 9 or so years. No rings. :)

..."so you have a box, she has a Whirlpool."

LOL, that's rich![;)]

Yeah, I also have this small handcarved wooden dish with a wooden lid (carved with little intricate designs) that I bought while stationed in Germany years ago just for holding coins, keys, etc. If I didn't keep important things in there, then I'd have no clue where my stuff would be (I'm scatterbrained like that at times).[:$]

Its not like a huge box more like a 3X3 X3 box where I can put small items like keys, coins, creditcard (no wallet for me I use a silver paperclip style money clip for my cards and it works great) cellphone etc