Turntable Help...

...I realize this is a BIG can of worms but...I just gave my GF my mint Bang & Olufson TX-2...nice table but always seemed MUCH quieter or needed more juice to get going with my Nakamichi TA-2A...well, after setting her up and listening to some platters (it had been several years since I listened)...you guessed it...and I can't take the table back now...[:o]...

SO...I am thinking of an inexpensive (right) but good turntable and cartridge combination...can you pass along any ideas on what to look for or what to avoid???

My sister still has my old Technics SL-D2 table (would need a new Cart) but I bet she isn't using it...yes/no???

Dual?, Technics 1200?, Rega?...I know many of you have Thorens and some really high quality tables but I am still not sure I want to do this...price points??? $200, $400 for the whole shebang???...it just started the itch, you know...

ANY and all help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Bill

I did a ton of research and reading and came to the conclusion for 375-450 used or 600-ish new you can't beat a Music Hall MMF-5 with the included goldring cartridge. As an added bonus they ship very easy.

Most reviews are very positive and say you have to spend over a grand to surpass it. Online reading and reviews are fine, but the proof is in the sound. I picked one up and have been very happy. I used it to test the waters on vinyl and now I am hooked.

Hope you did not give her all the LPs with the table.[;)]

Good Luck, Let us know what you end up with.

How about my Dual CS-5000 w/Shure V15V-MR? This table is mint and is a very good table/cart combination. I have owned it for close to 5 years and it works flawlessly. Ask Colin what he thought of the vinyl playing thru my La Scala's a few weeks back.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9735698671&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

BTW, the auction ends at 2:00 EST today (less than 3 hrs to go). I had a BIN of $425 but no one bit. Just so you know the cartridge is selling for over $300 used on eBay.

Mike

Actually, B&O tables are way under priced for what you

get. I still have my B&O 1900 table that I bought new in 1977. I also have

a Regga Planar 3. They both sound very good for not a lot of money invested. Search

on Ebay for Beogram turntable and there

are about 30 of them for sale, most are under $50! Many dont have a cart but

they are available also, heck buy two and take a good cart from a beat up unit

and put it on a nice unit that is shy the cart. There is even a BRAND NEW NOS

table that has been separated from its cart and is only $100 at the moment.

thanks for all the replies...I am looking at all these options...that one on AudioGon is about 2 and a half hours away so I may consider that too...as also the Dual...My GF kept saying "Are you sure.." and I replied, "Yes, I never use it..."...(we were talking about the TT...[;)])

ahhhhh, what a hobby, eh??? (I STILL kept my albums (nod to Sam Kinison...[;)] )

Bill

...outbid on the Dual...someone is getting a nice table...I think I will ask the 'lil sis if she can part with the ole' Technics SL-D2 just to see if I want to get BACK INTO vinyl or not...shouldn't cost me much more than a new cartidge (I bet it still has my Audio Technica something or other on it...)

Thanks for the help,

Bill

...outbid on the Dual...someone is getting a nice table

Bill

Yes indeed! I'm a little disappointed in the result but someone is going to be very happy. I was hoping to get at least $425 (heck, the cartridge is worth $300 right now). This will help offset some of the cost of the table/arm/BBX Cream, but just a little. [:D]

I would have preferred to sell to a Forum member but really didn't think anyone would be interested in this table. I should have offered it here first regardless.

Mike

For max return on ebay you usually have to "part out" items like this. I sold a Garrard 401 with an Ortofon arm and an "A" type SPU a few years ago. I listed the arm, the table, the plinth and the cartridge all separately. By today's standards I only got a pittance, but it was FAR more than I would have if I'd sold these items in a "package." Of course, with the Dual you couldn't sell the arm separately . . .

For max return on ebay you usually have to "part out" items like this. I sold a Garrard 401 with an Ortofon arm and an "A" type SPU a few years ago. I listed the arm, the table, the plinth and the cartridge all separately. By today's standards I only got a pittance, but it was FAR more than I would have if I'd sold these items in a "package." Of course, with the Dual you couldn't sell the arm separately . . .

Correct! I didn't realize the cartridge was selling for that much (not until someone had already bid on the table) and wish I had it to do over again. I could have sold the table with a cheap cartridge for $300 and could have probably gotten another $300 for the cartridge. You live and learn...

Mike