DEADWOOD

meagain

Holy @#$%! That was the fastest hour(or so)of my life! I thought the old Sopranos episodes flew by. The better the episode, the shorter they seem. Man, that was awesome!

I just get mesmerized watching Ian McShane in this role. No one else that comes to mind could IMO play this role, great casting job. I have really started to take note of the strong bond/friendship/loyalty that has developed between Bullock and Al since their knock down, drag out. Pretty cool. Bullocks deputy, Bill's buddy(his name escapes me right now)is a class act. Powers Booth(Boothe?) was great too along with EB. Nice to see Jane have a bit of piece and pride in her life for a moment as well.

Great show.

Ian's insanely brilliant! Course, even if the show had any one of these people to the exclusion of all else - whoa.Yep - Loved how Bullock at the end sort of turned away cussing under his breath for what Hurst did to Al. They love each other. :) I REALLY thought Bullock would look up at Hurst during his walk at the end, but didn't. The tension they created about that was fantastic. You could just feel how much Bullock wanted to look up.

Here's the thing that's really bothering me.... What's up with everyone's noses? The first I noticed it (and it was really in your face), was when Bullock had the meeting with Hurst. Rubbing his nose, looking at his hand, etc. etc. Like his nose was running. Last night, I noticed in Al's bar after one of the 2 dead Hurst guys let out a fart, Dan rubbed his nose, looked at his hand, etc. Then looked up and Hurst's letter messenger guy delivered the 2nd letter. The 3rd time I noticed it was when the one guy (don't know name) was practicing his speach with the other guy timeing how long he can go without letting loose his diarrhea. He rubbed his nose also. That one could have been a normal non-related noserub... IDK.... But something's going on with that. If one excludes the diarrhea guy, these noserubs happen in the presense of hurst & his men.

So either Hurst & Co. are up to something that has something to do with a chemical or ?? that might be effecting people or it's some type of abstract metaphor type thing. Has anyone noticed this and have any ideas as to what the nose issue is about? I don't remember if Al did any nose rubbing yet.

EDIT: Jorjen, WHEN will you be moving Deadwood up above Sopranos. I mean, don't get me wrong, I LOVE love love The Sopranos... But come on, it's no Deadwood. :)

As soon as Al told Bullock not to look at Hearst, I knew he would'nt. Bullock seems to have a great deal of faith in Al's judgement.

I did catch the nose rubbing thing but did not give it much thought until now. Maybe there is something to it, we will see.

As far as Deadwood displacing The Sopranos? Tough one. My loyalty is fierce, just like it is with Klipsch. I was a diehard Sopranos fan from the first episode, so I do not think it will happen anytime soon. But, who knows. I REALLY enjoy Rome as well. I know alot of people are not fond of it, but I like some of the characters enough to get into it.

As soon as Al told Bullock not to look at Hearst, I knew he would'nt. Bullock seems to have a great deal of faith in Al's judgement.

Why? Bullock has control issues and already ignored Al's request to not mess up the meeting between Hurst & Bullock. Which he then proceeded to mess up by beating up EB. :)

A couple comments, I didn't notice the nose rubbing thing, but then again, I never noticed that each episode was one day. That's frikken cool!

I agree with meagain, Sopranos is an excellent show, but it really is no Deadwood.

People don't like Rome? What's not to like. I don't know, was that a mini-series, or is it supposed to be an ongoing thing.

I don't think Bullock ignored Al's request, he just let his temper get the best of him. He felt bad about it right away.

How did you like EB's speech? He must be the originator of the dirty campaign. He didn't say anything about himself, except that his opponent was a jew and he isn't. He also must've decided not to say anything about Bullock. Not that anyone was listening.

I don't like Rome. I tried. Watched the whole season. Still didn't like it. Don't like the people, the acting, the script, etc. I just find it uninteresting and there's not one character I care about. IDK - I tried. Just seems like a bunch of costumed people. Tho' the Ceasar is gay angle was amusing. They seem to do an Oz type focused gore in it that bothers me. At least in Sopranos and Deadwood, people die more interestingly?

Lisa,

Todd hit it on the head....his temper got the better of him the first time. He seemed to spend some time on reflection into his own behavior, or lack thereof in this episode. Also, different time, place and context of the situation he and Al found themselves in. The implications/consequences could have been(or are obviously going to wind up)far greater and I do not think he wanted to make a similar mistake again. Making a concious effort at self control I thought.

I wish Mr. Hurst would go away. :( I love the Doc Cochran character. He won't die will he? :o Either way, we'll be seeing alot of him now. And why no definative information on what happened to Alma's baby. It's just assumed the baby died. And what the heck is up with Hursts' cook? I have to replay what she was saying when she was playing that game with the Chinese. Something about hursts butt up in the air spitting out gold nuggets? She's going to be VERY interesting! And what game was she playing with the Chinese? Was it Mahjong or something similar? EB was so very EB. :)

For those who love the show and feel like complaining to HBO over the cancellation (helps to say you are cancelling HBO over this)...

http://www.hbo.com/apps/submitinfo/contactus/submit.do?title=Deadwood&questiontype=HBOdeadwood

The only good thing is that this season should be good as the writers will pull out all the stops if they are not sure about the next season. That short season of Sopranos stunk cause they appear to be waiting till the last 8 episodes to do anything.

This past Sunday's was great. Not sure what is wrong with the doc, strange. Hey the Morris code guys is back too along with Whoo. Also like the new Theater guy, Mr. Langious (?sp). It is a great show.

HBO now has MY feedback.[:@]

The Doc probably has TB or a similar ailment. Unless it is somehow related to the nose itching thing[;)]. The actor that plays Doc's part has always been good in anything he has played in, usually kind of a weirdo. First time I saw him was when he played Billy Bibett in "One flew over the Cuckoos nest".

I thought is was pretty cool that Mr. Ellsworth got in Hearst's arse in their meeting. What is REALLY going on with Powers Boothe? I cannot for one minute buy him letting Hearst walk over him like he is or that he has somehow really changed either.

Great show!

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting an old thread here.

I have only been able to watch this show on DVD so I haven't yet seen how the series ends. I received season 3 for fathers day and have just recently been catching up. I just watched the fight scene in the thoroughfare between Dan Doherty and Hearst's enforcer "The Captain".

All I can say is WOW... just wow.

Makes the Sopranos look like a Disney movie.

- Jim

God I love Deadwood. Anyway, what about John From Cincinnati? Also by Milch. It's nice to see most of the Deadwood cast in it and I'm really liking this show. I'm seeing Deadwood in it. It's morphing closer with each episode. The lingo of the crazy lottery winner who bought the hotel - very Deadwood. Bill talking to his parrot - like Swearengen talking to the Indian head.

Just wondering...

I never watched much TV as I child, none in Highschool or College. I gave up TV for good back about the second season of Cheers, the Iran hostage crisis, or when Nightline and CNN started, forget exactly. All I know is that now they have convinced folks to actually pay to watch TV. It looks from reading this thread that the quality of TV has improved? I gave up movies, too; because they were so kid oriented... is modern TV better than the movies? How much time do you spend each month watching TV, how much does it cost? Is it more adult focused?

Just wondering...

I never watched much TV as I child, none in Highschool or College. I gave up TV for good back about the second season of Cheers, the Iran hostage crisis, or when Nightline and CNN started, forget exactly. All I know is that now they have convinced folks to actually pay to watch TV. It looks from reading this thread that the quality of TV has improved? I gave up movies, too; because they were so kid oriented... is modern TV better than the movies? How much time do you spend each month watching TV, how much does it cost? Is it more adult focused?

I don't think the quality of TV has improved as a whole. Rather I think most is crap. Reality shows and some of the other popular series (American Idol, Dancing with the Stars etc.) do nothing for me.

But there are some shows, usually on cable, that have outstanding writing, dialog, acting, characters and concepts. HBO and Showtime have produced several of them. Deadwood, The Sopranos, Rescue Me, The Wire, Band of Brothers, Six Feet Under, and Entourage are considered by many to be among some of the best TV ever done.

For me the writing and dialog on Deadwood is just riveting. The series is about an illegal mining camp set in Deadwood, Dakota Territory in the 1870's. The historical figures are wonderfully interesting and the plotlines are deeply developed. The language is EXTREME but period correct. If you can handle that aspect I recommend it highly.

I don't watch much television, I can only find the time to watch Sopranos and Deadwood on DVD so I am always behind. Other than the local news, my beloved Cubs games and the occasional cooking show I just can't make time for much else on the tube.

But music is almost always playing.

- Jim