DEADWOOD

meagain

Who, besides me, thinks this is the best show ever to hit TV? I watch each episode twice. The 2nd time to let the words wash over me & pick up any nuances I missed.

I'm embarrased to say when this show was first announced, I dismissed it as a 'Western' type and didn't watch the first show. Shame on me for assuming.

Yea - Woo is out of town and thus presents a big problem for 'disposal issues'.

How does one describe this show for those who haven't watched it? How do you describe such mind-boggling, intricate, genious? And darned funny to boot.

Jane lost weight. Al's got a bigger gut this year.

How does one describe this show for those who haven't watched it?

Richard Roepers column in todays Chicago Sun-Times is about drinking games. Apparently there is a Deadwood drinking game which pays tribute to the unique "dialog" of the show.

From the column -

"Then there are all the film or television-related drinking games, like the aforementioned "Hi Bob," or the "Deadwood" game, in which you take a drink every time a character on the HBO series utters a certain expletive. (If you had to drink every time a character uttered ANY expletive on "Deadwood," you'd be deadwood yourself in the first 20 minutes.)"

- Jim

I don't think that F's are the "certain explitive" they are talking about. (Otherwise you would pass out before the end of the show! Interesting link.) I think it's probably C--- or C--- S-----.

Anyway, I love the show, I wouldn't say it's the best show on TV, seeing as Rescue Me just started it's third season, but it's right up there. If you had asked me during the first season, I would have definitely agreed, but this season is shaping up to be great also.

I agree about watching the show twice, it makes a lot more sense. I find myself rewinding during the first showing, saying "what did they just say?"

Sadly, looks like this will be the last season.[:'(]

I cannot begin to tell you how upset I was to learn this would be the last season. I was flat out distraught all day. Apparently others were also and many websites sprang up to fight for it. Hence HBO is doing two 2-hour 'movies' after this season to wrap things up properly. It's not good enough for me!

F HBO!!! The C*cksuckers! ;)

Deadwood is nothing short of flippin' brilliant. It may just knock Rescue Me out of my #3 spot. Too bad this season will be it, real shame.

Might as well list my current top five favs in order as long as we are having this discussion. [;)]

1. The Shield

2. The Sopranos

3. Rescue Me

4. Deadwood

5. Rome

These are not ALL time of course. That list would be:

1. Combat

2. Rat Patrol

3. The Virginian

4. Man From Uncle

5. Hill Street Blues

Honorable mention:

1. The Fugitive

2. Voyage to the bottom of the Sea

3. Twilight Zone

4. Ironside

5. Daniel Boone

These are but a few that did it for me in my youth. One could go on and on. MASH, Cheers, Miami Vice, Perry Mason, etc.

Leave it to the forum to make me feel like an out of touch

geezer. First I had never heard of Hollaback Girl, now there's

this show Deadwood which I've never even heard of. ???

For the record, My favorite shows would be:

1) Battlestar Galactica (absolute best show ever to air on TV - Edward

James Olmos is the best captain since Charles Laughton...)

2) Stargate SG-1 (little slippage last couple seasons, but still up there)

3) The Closer - new entry, but has real promise...

meagain and jacksonbart,

I would recommend the DVD sets highly - I only have the first season so far but if season 2 is put together as well as the first set you can't go wrong. Watching the episodes a second time with the actors and directors commentary is really interesting. The episode with Timothy Olyphant (Seth Bullock) and Ian McShane (Al Swearengen) commenting together is a riot. They are as filthy and funny as the characters they play.

And ya gotta love E. B.

- Jim

post-17373-13819300655992_thumb.jpg

My husband read an interview of Milch. Apparently, the first deal was that the 4th season would be a 1/2 season. Milch said he couldn't pull it off because each show is shown in one day. One day in Deadwood. Morning to night.

This never occurred to me. Thinking back, the shows do close at night. Hmmm....

Anyway - Deadwood tonight ladies!