Just in case you forgot how bad he really was!

Allan,

There's no way I forgot, or ever will! I've said it many times. NO ONE played with the fire of Lee Morgan. His birthday is coming soon, July 10. There just isn't any rhyme or reason why some spirits have to leave our universe at such a budding age (33). My only hope is there are parallel universes, and hopefully he got to play on in one of them.

Klipsch out.

The body of work from a 33 year old is astounding. He made his first record date at 17 and hit the ground in a full-titlt sprint. So MUCH fire and then POOF his life snuffed out by a jealous woman during a gig at Slugg's Saloon in NYC.

Oh no, I hate to bring this up now that you and Paul are getting along so famously but something about being snuffed out by the old lady tells me that this was another tortured jazz genius who partook in the destructive pleasures of heroin. Tell me I'm wrong Allan please.

The body of work from a 33 year old is astounding. He made his first record date at 17 and hit the ground in a full-titlt sprint. So MUCH fire and then POOF his life snuffed out by a jealous woman during a gig at Slugg's Saloon in NYC.

Oh no, I hate to bring this up now that you and Paul are getting along so famously but something about being snuffed out by the old lady tells me that this was another tortured jazz genius who partook in the destructive pleasures of heroin. Tell me I'm wrong Allan please.

Scott,

It's truly disheartening to read this type of post. Please tell me that the wife of a US President did not have a drug addiction problem. Please tell me there has never been a rock musician, or classical musician, or composer, who partook in the destructive pleasures of heroin. Please tell me no other member of the worlds society has had an addition to drugs, or alcohol, or some other substance, regardless of whether they were a member of the clergy, a lawyer, a doctor, housewife, a carpenter, a politician.

What's up with you people who pretend to be hollier than thou, and endlessly wish to lessen the contributions to the world of music and Jazz by Jazz artists by constructing a heroin connection? Quite frankly, I'm sick of it. What is your contrbution to the world of music? May I venture a guess? NONE??!! Enough is enough!

Klipsch out.

Any addiction is the sign of a screwed-up person who is certainly LESS than they could be. That is an inarguable fact.

The thing we need to wonder is what could they have played, what heights could they have achieved, where could they have gone - WITHOUT IT?! What a waste of talent!

The weak make lousy heroes.

DM

MY GAWD, now my mind has been severly blown.

Mr Songer, would you kindly construct a 'Jazz Primer' column in the Music and Dvd section so we can all learn where to begin and further our knowledge of this most American of musics? I think you could do many of a great service by sharing your interest with us.

I know there is sOOOOO much out there, I see it in the covers you post hourly in the 'what are you listening to now' column. I have probably 30 CD's and a smattering of vinyl, but need a bit of guidance.

btw, this is not meant in sarcasm, but is an honest plea for help in the Jazz arena.

Thanks,

Michael

Any addiction is the sign of a screwed-up person who is certainly LESS than they could be. That is an inarguable fact.

The thing we need to wonder is what could they have played, what heights could they have achieved, where could they have gone - WITHOUT IT?! What a waste of talent!

DM

And your contribution to the world is what?

This started as a post to an artist's genius and has been turned by the narrow minded among us. Lee Morgan died not because of an addition, but because of a jealous girlfirend. He had suffered from a heroin issue in the past, but was clean at the time of his death. He still displayed more talent, and has left that talent documented in his recordings, regardless of any criticism you may muster. A wise bit of philosophy advises one not to criticize a persons path until you have walked in their shoes. I offer you that advice. Life may still have some obstacles for you that could lead to behavior you currently frown upon.

Klipsch out.

Would you guys all please just stop it. Just about every time Alan posts, my list of "I've gotta buy this" for my record collection keeps getting longer. I can't afford to hand around this forum anymore!

[:D]

DM

Some became heroes without knowing it or wanting to be. And they were weak to boot. We are all screwed up in some way or another. Some will just admit it or it has become public knowledge.

If some musician was great AND a heroin addict, we will never know what they would have done without the drug. Maybe they would really never done anything. The fact that someone was an addict doesn't diminish what they did accomplished. Who want to live a life of "what if....?" I could be doing that right now, but it wouldn't help me accomplish much. That isn't said to condone or criticize, it's just the way it is.

A lot of my heroes were/are weak. That's why they are heroes to me, because of what they did in their weakness.

DM

Some became heroes without knowing it or wanting to be. And they were weak to boot. We are all screwed up in some way or another. Some will just admit it or it has become public knowledge.

If some musician was great AND a heroin addict, we will never know what they would have done without the drug. Maybe they would really never done anything. The fact that someone was an addict doesn't diminish what they did accomplished. Who want to live a life of "what if....?" I could be doing that right now, but it wouldn't help me accomplish much. That isn't said to condone or criticize, it's just the way it is.

A lot of my heroes were/are weak. That's why they are heroes to me, because of what they did in their weakness.

That is a wonderful thought