smilins double bass bin Stevewalls

Tom Mobley

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, I'm pretty pleased with the stuff so far. Thanks for your kind words. Funny thing is I'm really liking the unstained, undyed Cherry. It really doesn't look much like what people expect to see with Cherry, but it'll get darker and redder with age. I made a sample, just sealed with wash coat of shellac and a couple good coats of spray bomb Deft lacquer. It has this iridescent quality that disappears as soon as you put any dye or stain on it. It's very cool.

It'll be a real challenge to get a good finish on this. the veneer is figured, you can see it plainly in the pics. the darker spots are harder wood, very dense. It makes for a sort of wavy surface which I'll probably have to work my butt off to get reasonably flat. Always a new challenge.

veneer near 1906 Kranich-Bach Conservatory Grand (= 6'). box in right background is what the veneer comes in from Certainly Wood. Looking at the piano next to the veneer confirms that the piano is indeed antique Cherry.

Tom,

Your piano is GORGEOUS, as is your BELLE, wow, I can't wait, no, patience, smilin, patience[:S][;)]betcha they are gonna be FABULOUS!!!!

Thanks, keep up the great work

Smilin for my new speaks, and of course.........for you Tom[:D]

• 3 weeks later...

here's a shot of gluing veneer. it's laid out so carefully because it curls when the the glue is rolled on, leads to glue onm the edges getting on the face of the wood. once it's on there it's hard to get off and it discolors when the heat is applied. bummer. the deal I worked out was to a wide piece like this, then do a narrow piece in the same spot. avoids the problem. I change the paper every time af the two pieces.

post-9215-13819307749612_thumb.jpg